HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 04:24 PM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
I have a pmu v2 installed for canBus, which means I have two 5v becs, one on the pmu and one on the mainboard. I only use one for the phantom electronics, so the other is now for the LEDs. I'm not going to input data to the FC, that's pretty dangerous compared to read-only! If you want to go down that route, your main avenue will be through the rx pins and EXP, not on the back end of the Naza.

If I get a 3rd party rx installed, I'll use an extra channel to control different light patterns, including nighttime dim and maybe throttle-linked...
Where on the mainboard does the 5v bec reside?

Could you power everything from one 5V bec source?

Still trying to get my arms around all the functions the PMU V2 provides. Looks like it manages/distributes power to all the Phantom components (NAZA, GPS, CanBus accessories), makes a 5V power source available and also monitors (low level) battery voltages.
DJI27 is online now Find More Posts by DJI27
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
Joined Sep 2013
3,099 Posts
DJI Phantom DIY, Modifications, Upgrades, Tips, and How To

You can power everything that is intended to go on a phantom from the PMU. Some canBus peripherals get hot, and suck up a lot of power. I don't know that the mainboard or the upgrade board have the same power capacity as the PMU unit, but people have powered iOsd + gcu + datalink + btu off the upgrade board.

Adding lots of powerful lights is a completely different ball of wax, and I don't know what the power limit of the pmu is. Some people say overloading it will cause a shutdown or reset, something you don't want happening in flight.

In addition to power, the pmu also has contains the canBus transceiver for the GPS and bus interface for the Naza. It's not just a dumb bec, but you can use it like one if you want.

The motherboard bec is the voltage regulator and associated circuitry on the side of the board, where the x3 v-sen wires start.
ElGuano is online now Find More Posts by ElGuano
RCG Plus Member
Old Today, 06:48 AM
Open the bay doors... HAL
United States, OH, Mentor
Joined Jun 2013
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGuano View Post
You can power everything that is intended to go on a phantom from the PMU. Some canBus peripherals get hot, and suck up a lot of power. I don't know that the mainboard or the upgrade board have the same power capacity as the PMU unit, but people have powered iOsd + gcu + datalink + btu off the upgrade board.

Adding lots of powerful lights is a completely different ball of wax, and I don't know what the power limit of the pmu is. Some people say overloading it will cause a shutdown or reset, something you don't want happening in flight.

In addition to power, the pmu also has contains the canBus transceiver for the GPS and bus interface for the Naza. It's not just a dumb bec, but you can use it like one if you want.

The motherboard bec is the voltage regulator and associated circuitry on the side of the board, where the x3 v-sen wires start.
Thank you for the helpful explanations. Slowly but surely, I'm beginning to piece together how this "fantastic flying machine" works.

It makes sense to error on the side of caution and have multiple routes from which to draw power.

I did notice the EXP (GPS) pin connections on the NAZA and found it curious GPS signals would get routed through a module that I assumed just managed power.
DJI27 is online now Find More Posts by DJI27