HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:28 AM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Question for those of you saying things like "I wish it had more power/speed in vertical."

When you point the nose straight up and hit full throttle, does it eventually stall and fall? Or is your complaint just that you wish it went faster?
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:32 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,754 Posts
It will not stall, it will keep on trucking till the battery dies or you hit the stratosphere. I think it's got pretty good power.
TurboRacer is online now Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
Smasher of foam
United States, OH, Stow
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomdomification View Post
Thanks for your answer.
I thought something like this. I do understand, just from videos, that they are very different planes. I was just wondering because I've ordered the Sbach and I was wondering if it will be worth upgrading to the Edge. The Sbach will be my first aerobatic plane which is why I was asking about how easy they are to fly :-)

Tom
I, too, am agonizing over the sbach vs edge question. I'll be able to buy just one new plane in the spring. Some days I lean toward the sbach because I could keep it in the trunk of my car for always-ready flights. Other days I lean toward the edge because it can fly slower, will probably continue to challenge me longer, and has "real" electronics I might harvest sometime in the future for other planes when the 540 has met its maker.

Oh.... The misery of choice! I was much happier a month ago when I was just planning on the sbach. Now I've been downloading and watching all the old Red Bull Air Race videos just to see 540s in action.
FunkeyMonk is offline Find More Posts by FunkeyMonk
Old Nov 25, 2012, 07:42 AM
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Nov 2012
1,523 Posts
nice flying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
One flight so far,will dial it in more when i have time to fly again. A little windy out but it handled the wind surprisingly well for a 26'' span plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NLR5DQlWY&feature=plcp
nice flying,,,,i could not tell there was any wind,untill u made a remark about it. on next video,,,do some KRAZY FLYING . lol
dalecheek1 is online now Find More Posts by dalecheek1
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:30 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
One flight so far,will dial it in more when i have time to fly again. A little windy out but it handled the wind surprisingly well for a 26'' span plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-NLR5DQlWY&feature=plcp
Yours stock or have you changed prop. That thing looks to have all kinda power n vertical nice.

Glad to see more videos on youtube i keep looking for them. Ive not seen anyone to a elevator to harrier landing yet has anyone try this?
epoweredrc is online now Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:09 AM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post
Yours stock or have you changed prop. That thing looks to have all kinda power n vertical nice.

Glad to see more videos on youtube i keep looking for them. Ive not seen anyone to a elevator to harrier landing yet has anyone try this?
Yea. I'll post some video up soon. I harrier land mine every time.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:13 AM
United States, VA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoweredrc View Post

Remember videos usually look faster and better than real life performance. If you are happy with the stock prop it won't be for long. It will either warp or break in short amount of time. I haven't heard anyone saying the motor is lacking the power needed. What we are upset about is paying $170 for a prop that has to be replaced right away and a ESC that is being pushed further than it should be at WOT. Yes I have done a ton of harrier landings and it will elevator very nice. It has the throws to do everything!
FlyWW1 is offline Find More Posts by FlyWW1
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:18 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
Remember videos usually look faster and better than real life performance. If you are happy with the stock prop it won't be for long. It will either warp or break in short amount of time. I haven't heard anyone saying the motor is lacking the power needed. What we are upset about is paying $170 for a prop that has to be replaced right away and a ESC that is being pushed further than it should be at WOT. Yes I have done a ton of harrier landings and it will elevator very nice. It has the throws to do everything!
not seen any failures with the esc
so that says its way within it's build specs
brushless55 is online now Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:27 AM
Joined Sep 2010
3,733 Posts
I'm not upset about the prop yet. Before I changed wheels for grass field, I flipped it on its nose at almost full throttle several times when the wheel pants caught on the grass, but still flying it. I always buy spare props for any plane and have several gws 7x3.5's in readiness. I will admit to not being after speed, my old reflexes and eyesight prefer slower flight, so maybe I'm not as affected by the performance of the stock prop. I probably have 30-40 flights on it now and it still has extent of vision vertical without a hitch. Can fly it straight up about as high as I comfortable with, throttle back to a hover, then accelerate out of it straight up. Sort of ready for it to break so I can try the 7x3.5 though. Just not disappointed enough in the stock one to go taking it apart to change props as long as it ain't broke.
bobly is offline Find More Posts by bobly
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:35 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
not seen any failures with the esc
so that says its way within it's build specs
I think there have been failures. I'm on my phone so I can't go track them down. The ESC tends to get very hot if you fly half throttle and above for half the flight. It's running 4 digital servos at the same time while being fully deflected a lot of the time. Static test says it's like 9.9 amps on stock setup. Yes you unload some in the air but the servos more than make up for that. To make it worse they located the ESC in the battery compartment with very little ventilation. It should be relocated to below away from the battery and where the air is flowing nicely. So for the money a 12 amp would have been much better!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:38 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkeyMonk View Post
Question for those of you saying things like "I wish it had more power/speed in vertical."

When you point the nose straight up and hit full throttle, does it eventually stall and fall? Or is your complaint just that you wish it went faster?
With the stock prop it does have unlimited vertical,,, but I would describe it as lazy slow unlimited vertical,, if that makes sense,, but with the GWS 7x3.5 prop verticals and acceleration are MUCH more spritited. If your type who likes flying low and slow stock prop is fine,,, although,,, its sooooo flimsy,, it doesn't seem to last very long before breaking for most folks
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
USA, CA, Chico
Joined Feb 2011
3,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWW1 View Post
I think there have been failures. I'm on my phone so I can't go track them down. The ESC tends to get very hot if you fly half throttle and above for half the flight. It's running 4 digital servos at the same time while being fully deflected a lot of the time. Static test says it's like 9.9 amps on stock setup. Yes you unload some in the air but the servos more than make up for that. To make it worse they located the ESC in the battery compartment with very little ventilation. It should be relocated to below away from the battery and where the air is flowing nicely. So for the money a 12 amp would have been much better!
On mine,,, ever since I switched to GWS 7x3.5 , ESC BARELY gets warm,,, I believe SLO-fly tested the GWS pulling 8.9amps
Airman74 is offline Find More Posts by Airman74
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:43 AM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
This morning I was out putting a few finishing touches on my travel box that should withstand anything short of a nuclear holocaust when a nuclear holocaust (AKA my 17 year old son) came out to the shop. The plane was sitting at the far back corner and somehow he managed to bump into it breaking the rudder. Looks like I get to buy a new fuse and its never even left the ground!
ForsheeMS is online now Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74 View Post
On mine,,, ever since I switched to GWS 7x3.5 , ESC BARELY gets warm,,, I believe SLO-fly tested the GWS pulling 8.9amps
Yes you dropped amps while going to bigger prop! Just shows how bad the stock prop is. My prop blades are twice the width of the stock and my amps also dropped. That should not happen!
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForsheeMS View Post
This morning I was out putting a few finishing touches on my travel box that should withstand anything short of a nuclear holocaust when a nuclear holocaust (AKA my 17 year old son) came out to the shop. The plane was sitting at the far back corner and somehow he managed to bump into it breaking the rudder. Looks like I get to buy a new fuse and its never even left the ground!
OH NO!!!! You can't use some foam safe CA on it while you wait for a new fuse?