Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:07 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
Build Log
Hobby King/Shuttler F-15 70mm

Got one of these from Hobby King, ARF/PNF:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10420

With stock motor and fan, the plane is a leisure flyer with a 3S 2200mAH battery - don't even think of doing anything more than circles and a landing, and 4S is an ESC thermal shutdown waiting to happen.

I purchased it thinking it might essentially be an unpainted Freewing 64mm F-15 in unpainted EPO. If you're going to apply the supplied decals for decoration, wipe down the parts first, because they don't stick - must have been some mold release agent still on the plane.

Comparing the two, this plane has a generally slimmer profile, but even more significant is it's lighter. Now that I've flown it assembled, I'm going to do my franken-plane bit and do some mods:
  • Upgraded power plant (ESC, fan, motor)
  • Separate ailerons and flaps
  • All-flying stabs
  • Rudders
I used Foam-Tac to assemble the plane, so the parts I glued came off with not too much work. The glue job done by the factory is another story. The fan hatch is secured using double-sided tape on the bottom of the of the duct, so had to carve a notch in the fuselage to get a fingerhold to work it off. Peeking inside after removing the fan, the fuselage is hollow construction, plenty of room to route the servo cables for the rudders and ailerons, so I did some more cutting to remove blocks of the fuselage that are simple to re-attach.

I'm not going to make this plane a bullet, just add enough power and control surfaces to make it more agile in the air, so I'm not going to bother with carbon-reinforcing the wings, though that could still be a later option.

Pictures to be posted as the project moves along ...
fredmdbud is offline Find More Posts by fredmdbud
Last edited by fredmdbud; Dec 29, 2012 at 02:20 AM. Reason: EDF dia correction
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:38 AM
Aylesbury,UK
Joined Apr 2000
975 Posts
I have been tempted by one of these as an easier alternative to get my Minifan/HET 2W-20 combo into. I have a Graupner version in EPP(?) but is has a 64mm fan, and squeezing a 70mm in is a pain. Its the postage costs from HK that have put me off.
If you are considering a 4S combo I have used the Minifan/HET2w-20 in a few models with a 2650 pack, gives a good balance between weight/duration and good power.
Stuey is offline Find More Posts by Stuey
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:53 AM
Joined Sep 2011
242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Got one of these from Hobby King, ARF/PNF:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10420

With stock motor and fan, the plane is a leisure flyer with a 3S 2200mAH battery - don't even think of doing anything more than circles and a landing, and 4S is an ESC thermal shutdown waiting to happen.

I purchased it thinking it might essentially be an unpainted Freewing 64mm F-15 in unpainted EPO. If you're going to apply the supplied decals for decoration, wipe down the parts first, because they don't stick - must have been some mold release agent still on the plane.

Comparing the two, this plane has a generally slimmer profile, but even more significant is it's lighter. Now that I've flown it assembled, I'm going to do my franken-plane bit and do some mods:
  • Upgraded power plant (ESC, fan, motor)
  • Separate ailerons and flaps
  • All-flying stabs
  • Rudders
I used Foam-Tac to assemble the plane, so the parts I glued came off with not too much work. The glue job done by the factory is another story. The fan hatch is secured using double-sided tape on the bottom of the of the duct, so had to carve a notch in the fuselage to get a fingerhold to work it off. Peeking inside after removing the fan, the fuselage is hollow construction, plenty of room to route the servo cables for the rudders and ailerons, so I did some more cutting to remove blocks of the fuselage that are simple to re-attach.

I'm not going to make this plane a bullet, just add enough power and control surfaces to make it more agile in the air, so I'm not going to bother with carbon-reinforcing the wings, though that could still be a later option.

Pictures to be posted as the project moves along ...
Did you got this mix up?? It is a 70mm F-15. If you look under tian sheng F-15 in youtube you will see many fly good out of stock. I have a few of this kit.
I don't what HK package it setup, I guess you just need a better motor.
genghiskt is online now Find More Posts by genghiskt
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:40 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
Yup, it is indeed a 70mm motor. The Freewing F-15 is a 64mm, and the airframes are so close in size, and the performance was so middling, that I thought it was 64mm. The motor compared to a stock Exceed 70mm, which is what I am putting in, is noticeably lighter.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 01:08 PM
florida
Joined Nov 2002
176 Posts
I have the same kit.Looking forward to your build suggestions.
flightdeck is offline Find More Posts by flightdeck
Old Oct 06, 2012, 03:46 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
We have a rudder ...

Update: Both rudders are now complete
Last edited by fredmdbud; Oct 06, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:50 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
Ready for maiden!

Shuttler/Tian Sheng F-15 modded w/ailerons & rudders (0 min 21 sec)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 05:37 AM
Gravity sucks.
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Mar 2011
562 Posts
I know it's been a while, but did you maiden this? How did it go?
m_ark is offline Find More Posts by m_ark
Old Mar 28, 2014, 07:00 AM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
Sure did, it flew several times. It flew as expected, not a speed demon, nicely.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 06:57 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
547 Posts
Is this plane still available at HK Its not in their site but the link still works.
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Old Mar 30, 2014, 10:16 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,924 Posts
No, it's been backordered for as long as I can remember, but I haven't been checking regularly.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 02:58 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Sep 2011
174 Posts
Nice..I have one..NIB..maybe I should start building it. What is your CG
cnchelicopter is online now Find More Posts by cnchelicopter