Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:00 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
Ca would work, but I like white gorilla glue, I recently had 2 crashes after a year of putting her through the paces

I like the this foam breaks and fits back together nicely
Check back a few pages of pics on her and you'll see my pics

It's kinda crzy but after my 2 repairs the forward section is alot stiffer, I can tell by watching the videos I've posted there is less vibrations

I don't think you need to reinforce it with anything

Gg is alot cheaper then ca and goes 4x as far.

Ca is brittle if you fly in a colder climate and yellows over time
Go to Wally world/ home depot/ michaels crafts etc and pick a bottle of the white gg read the directions and glue her back together.

My 2 cents...
I was thinking the same thing East, your trusty GorillaGlue!!!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2012, 07:27 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
I was thinking the same thing East, your trusty GorillaGlue!!!
Agreed. Use the Gorilla Glue.

It holds firmly but retains the flexibilty of the foam. The flex is what keeps it from breaking. No other reinforcement needed if the break is clean.

Just dampen the joint, add gg and tape it back together tightly. If the GG foams out, trim off the excess after drying.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:22 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,777 Posts
I use white PU, (ie Gorilla Glue), for foam all the time, and I agree it's the way to go. I use CA sometimes, but usually just for quick repairs at the flying field. I've PU'd my foam edf's back together many times and the joints are stronger than the surrounding foam. Though the white PU doesn't expand as bad as the brown, you need to remember that it does expand, so a little goes a long way. I usually dab the area to be glued with a damp q-tip before applying glue, then tape over the joint to keep the glue from pooching out; works great.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:04 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
On the 2nd crash in 2 weeks, i was so ecstatic that i was using the glue of my life!! i used a $h it load of H2o and never taped it up.
Man did it ever foam!

If you are not in a rush, don't use water at all. I've noticed more water = faster set times and more foaming! Foaming well be minimal with no H2o. But well take about 25+ mins to set! But tape is still a option. Usually i just hang around while drying. with a wet paper towel and wipe the excess as if foams. Makes for a super clean glue joint.

Next time anyone is doing a quick fix on foam with White GG, use CA in place of the H2o..
The CA sets as normal, so you can let go of the parts with in 20 secs. The GG well still foam ,not so much as with water. So keep a eye on it!

Tried it while scratch building a TomHe's EuroFighter park jet...works great and is super-dooper strong.
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jan 14, 2012 at 11:57 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,777 Posts
Quote:
On the 2nd crash in 2 weeks, i was so ecstatic that i was using the glue of my life!! i used a $h it load of H2o and never taped it up..lol
Man did it ever foam up lol

If you are not in a rush, don't use water at all. I've noticed more water = faster set times and more foaming! Foaming well be minimal with no H2o. But well take about 25+ mins to set! But tape is still a option. Usually i just hang around while drying. with a wet paper towel and wipe the excess as if foams. Makes for a super clean glue joint.

Next time anyone is doing a quick fix on foam with White GG, use CA in place of the H2o..
The CA sets as normal, so you can let go of the parts with in 20 secs. The GG well still foam ,not so much as with water. So keep a eye on it!

Tried it while scratch building a TomHe's EuroFighter park jet...works great and is super-dooper strong.
Good tip on using CA instead of water, I'll have to try that. I like adding a bit of moisture specifically to make the PU foam a bit so it will get into every nook and cranny, which I find especially useful on Depron due to it's porous nature. On a rebuild after a crash I add water so it will bubble-up and fill gaps where foam has been lost, crushed or won't fit tightly back together again, (actually, come to think about it, my RP is the only foamie I haven't had to glue back together.....yet!!). I used it exclusively on a couple of edf arf's in place of epoxy, and in my opinion it works better due to it's flexibility and ability to penetrate both glued surfaces more effectively than epoxy. I made a huge mess the first few times by using too much glue and getting the surfaces too wet, but I learned to use less glue and just a tiny bit of moisture to activate it now. White PU is now my preferred glue for foam, and if used sparingly is much less expensive than foam-safe CA.

Sonny
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:04 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
agreed, i just have to learn that! "use less part"! I print off a 40% coupon for Michaels. We go there every couple of weeks or so! My dearest likes shopping there for craft stuff! I go directly to the glue isle then the Balsa section, which is really close the Model Planes! ;0)

So yea i use a 40% off coupon and get a bottle for under 5 bucks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,777 Posts
Quote:
agreed, i just have to learn that! "use less part"! I print off a 40% coupon for Michaels. We go there every couple of weeks or so! My dearest likes shopping there for craft stuff! I go directly to the glue isle then the Balsa section, which is really close the Model Planes! ;0)

So yea i use a 40% off coupon and get a bottle for under 5 bucks!
That's funny about Michael's, I do the same thing except sometimes I go to the balsa first, glue second. I also buy acid-free foamboard in the framing dept, (not Elmer's or dollar store foamboard; it's a different kind of foam). It's used for picture frames, can be cut to size, and comes in 1/8" & 1/4" thickness; approx 3.5mm/7.5mm when the paper is removed, (soak overnight in water/soap, peel paper off). The underlying foam is usable for scratch-built foamies if reinforced and is relatively inexpensive. Amazing what you can find at Michael's if you know what to look for.

Sonny
Old Jan 15, 2012, 12:54 PM
Fly It Like You Stole It.....
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Jan 2009
351 Posts
Setup With JR 9503

Well, I'm having a heck of a time. It's winter here and I'm retired so this winter I decided I would get the most out of my RP with my JR9503 radio. Of course I'm not a great glider pilot but for 6 or 7 months now I've flown the RP in Acro mode on my radio, with great success. Now I want to advance. I would like to stay with the AR600 receiver that came in my RP. I have no need for "Crow" because I'm having no issues landing at our field with just flaps. So I was thinking that I could set up camber and reflex along with still using my flaps. Now I know several people pointed me and others to the JR site that talks about setting up the JR9303 which I know is the same. Some of that really doesn't make sense to me, and I know that is the biggest problem. Does ANYONE have a setup for the Radian Pro and a JR9503 using the existing receiver? Most fancy glider don't use motors so setup doesn't include the need for a channel in the receiver for the motor. If anybody can help and old heli pilot try and figure out this glider setup i would appreciate it.
moparherb is online now Find More Posts by moparherb
Old Jan 15, 2012, 05:46 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
I agree about the crow. The flaps are so effective that who needs it. I guess you could just reverse the crow and put a little bit of camber on the ailerons. Here is a question for you experienced guys. Does camber mean just the ailerons or is it full-wing? (flaps also)

Today we had a foot of powder on the ski hill that was so light it felt like it wasn't even there. I just got home and took the RP for a spin in the park across the street. Here is a picture of it after it settled into the softest landing a foam plane could ever hope for. Sometimes when I do this, it ends up almost buried, but that is when I nose it in a bit. Life is hard in the frozen north.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:04 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Camber moves ailerons and flaps down together, about 1/8 inch.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 06:52 PM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,870 Posts
Hmmm... With only 6 channels, I could get camber working on either flaps or ailerons but not both. I am thinking flaps would be the best option just because they are bigger. What happens when you actually use your ailerons as ailerons? Doesn't that make the camber there irrelevant? Or do you just try to use the rudder as much as possible and leave the camber at an overall 1/8"?
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:38 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
Hmmm... With only 6 channels, I could get camber working on either flaps or ailerons but not both. I am thinking flaps would be the best option just because they are bigger. What happens when you actually use your ailerons as ailerons? Doesn't that make the camber there irrelevant? Or do you just try to use the rudder as much as possible and leave the camber at an overall 1/8"?
The ailerons still move as ailerons. They are simply alignned with the flaps when they are neutral. Full up aileron will go up 1/8 inch less, and full down will go 1/8 inch further down. It simply moves the center point to match the flap setting.

For camber With the RP, you have to have the flaps on a y harness, one aileron in the aileron socket and the other aileron in the aux socket so that they can each be controlled independently. This is done with a mix, preferably on a three way switch, depending on your transmitter.

If you can't get it to work, cambering the flap only will work, just not as well.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:43 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Maidened the new pnp RP today, completely stock. It's a good bit lighter than the old battlewagon, without cameras, holes in wings, etc. Got her to float for about 9 minutes on a 45 second motor run, in spite of the 15 mph wind. Still waiting on servo covers to come in, but other than that I'll probably fly her stock for a while.
Old Jan 15, 2012, 08:45 PM
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,293 Posts
Anyone here feel like running the Big Sky Contest?

I don't mind doing it but thought I would offer in case someone else wants to run with it.

Either way, it will start up again in February!
Old Jan 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jovanx View Post
I agree about the crow. The flaps are so effective that who needs it. I guess you could just reverse the crow and put a little bit of camber on the ailerons. Here is a question for you experienced guys. Does camber mean just the ailerons or is it full-wing? (flaps also)

Today we had a foot of powder on the ski hill that was so light it felt like it wasn't even there. I just got home and took the RP for a spin in the park across the street. Here is a picture of it after it settled into the softest landing a foam plane could ever hope for. Sometimes when I do this, it ends up almost buried, but that is when I nose it in a bit. Life is hard in the frozen north.
Ha nice! I'm out in the east, no snow here now, been getting dumped on then a spell of mild weather moves in, melts snow then bitter cold...Its been a weird Winter. The Atlantic ocean sure make for some interesting WX.

I'm not sure if you have done it or not, But i hope you have your Bay door taped up, snow in there is not good for the RX nor the servos!
Just leave the last few vent hole open for ventilation.
I put my RX in a balloon with a zip tie, poked a hole in the side for the Satellite plug. Just re-assurance to keep! water out.

I like the colors, If you had Green in there i would be asking if you take it to the Pride Parades! lol J/k
I bet it stands out up there.

you'll see how i protected the elec form your winter flying enemy(moisture) did to mine.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1358342

As for Crow, i used it at the Beginning, i tested all 3 and as you say flaps are good enough for slowing down. I prefer Camber over reflex, get up to ALT and turn them on and start circling. We don't have much lift here, even in the summer. Not sure if the cold Atlantic water have anything to do it with!

But its so easy to change the from camber to crow or reflex before a flight. Plus the option of mixing in Elev. When im using camber, i like a bit of Up elev. Crow a bit of down, and just flaps a lot of down elev mixed!

last time out in the 50+ winds on the slope, i tried Crow...when it was ready to land, I popped the flaps around 15' ,then flipped the Ailerons up around 10' she came to a stand still, and landed flat! The coolest landing i've done so far..vid was posted a few pages ago!

I really didn't use reflex that much! so not much to on it. other then if you want to zip around the sky with out motor runs...you may like it!

Kinda sucks not having all 3 options thats why there is a 8 ch TX is in my near future!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Jan 15, 2012 at 10:19 PM.