Jul 21, 2014, 01:33 AM
Thread OP
Question

Large - 1/8 to 1/6 - scale tanks anyone?

Hi folks,
some time ago there was an advertisement on top of this rcgroups-forum site from - I think - a chinese company about huge rc-tanks. If I remember correctly, they where 1/6, but 1/8 would/could do as well. They definitely where on the prizey side - more than 1.000,00 § - which is beyond my budget.

So why do I ask at all?

Well - actually I want to build a model ship! But not just ANY ship - it has to be a side paddlewheeler of 8 feet length!
Here is the link to the - yet unstarted - build log of Alan Hood. I joined in on page three:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=2075537
Unstarted build log - because the vast research of Alan is not completed yet.
The first, original idea was a live steam engine, which is very expensive in itself.

And thinking about how to solve that problem, I remembered the metal gears - as an upgrade set - for the 1/16 tanks. - So last week I logged myself in on ebay and had a look around. Found one, and bought it at once. A few days later I received these gears. The whole concept looks very promising, but of course too small/weak for a rc-model ship of 8ī length. The 1/16 gears and motors (being of the 380-size) will work for a 4ī model, but not for the big one. Limited space isnīt the problem in this planned 8ī model, as the main hull cross section - where the motors + gears go in - is more than 1īx 1ī.

So Iīm looking for something like these metal gears - but doubled size!
Maybe with motors of the 540-size - or even 600.

Is there anybody out there, who has more informations for me?
Or maybe somebody saved the link to this company and could give it to me?

I have no idea about gear-down-ratios in general - this is really not my stuff.
(The main concern is the ship itself, not the drive system.)
But I think, those tank gears will have the right power to speed relation.
I just would like to buy complete units like these 1/16 metal gears - but as said before 1/8 or 1/6 - and install the paddlewheels to them.

Thankīs for any help, tips or hints in advance.
Ernst
Last edited by disabled; Jul 22, 2014 at 05:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2014, 05:16 AM
Thread OP
90 views so far, but not ONE single answer?

Folks - whatīs up with you?
Jul 22, 2014, 08:22 AM
Semper Fi
If we can't help you with your question or request, we don't post. I do not know of anyone offering the gearboxes you are asking for.

Herman
Jul 22, 2014, 11:06 AM
Kamikaze Ace
Look up the 21st Century 1/6th Stuarts or their Abrams tanks, both use the same motors/gearboxes. They pop up on Ebay occasionally. Brushed motors, and with a dual esc like the Sabertooth 12 r/c, you can control the speed. That's what I use in my Stuart and the nearly dozen or so similar types I've built for others. They operate on 12 volts.

One other thing to look at would be something out of a Power Wheels. Have both 6 and 12 volt systems in them.

I used a pair of 12 volt units to run a 1/6th scale FOA Tiger tank, and used the 6 volt unit to operate the turret. They would have the grunt to spin your paddle wheels.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:22 PM
http://www.hobbyease.com/1-6-electric-tanks-c77?rc=87
here are some 1/6 scale tanks, only around 2,000 US $, check it
Jul 23, 2014, 09:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilsonOrlov
Glacier Girl and Neilson Orlov - thank you very much!
Thatīs exactly what I was looking for!

Regarding the 2,000.00 bucks - donīt care, I just need replacement metal gear boxes with motors, not the complete 50-75 kgs tanks.
Jul 23, 2014, 02:21 PM
Here's the solution I used on my sternwheeler. An RC model car differential.

Use two differentials, one on each paddle, and have independent controls of your paddlewheels
Jul 24, 2014, 07:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by srcampb
Here's the solution I used on my sternwheeler. An RC model car differential.

Use two differentials, one on each paddle, and have independent controls of your paddlewheels

Beautiful!
Can you show me more of your paddlewheeler?

Two differentials - sounds extraordinary simple to me. But wouldnīt I have to use differential locks then for both? Normal differentials donīt have them.
Jul 24, 2014, 03:48 PM
Here are a few more of the "Wild Goose", a diesel engined sternwheeler on the Ohio River in the US during the 1920's.

Built by the Ward Engineering Works of Charleston, West Virginia.
Jul 24, 2014, 03:56 PM
A few more notes. The Wild Goose is 1/24th scale, for an overall length of 50 inches (1.27m)

I was advised during construction to aim for a paddle wheel speed approximately double what the real ship used- in my case, this gave me a need for about 100 revolutions per minute.

If separate differentials won't work, you could use a gear reduced motor driving a surplus right angle drive? Still less expensive than buying a full tank kit!

This would probably be quieter running than tank gear boxes as well.

Another choice could be a geared motor driving a belt drive with a small pulley on the motor shaft and a larger one on the shaft of the paddle wheel. The ratio between the pulleys could be managed to give you the proper paddle speed.

hope this all helps- good luck with your build!
Jul 25, 2014, 01:31 AM

gears

hi disabled I discovered a Company that Remake's any Kind of Micro gear of any size and they will help on any thing up scale or down scale any metal I mean anything you can send them the Gears and they will figure it out for you for what you need good luck oh and this company from Australia but the have meta gears steal gears gears with 4 to 1 ratios and more powerful motors
Last edited by Satai Glen; Aug 02, 2014 at 05:48 PM.
Jul 25, 2014, 02:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilsonOrlov
Just got an answer from hobbyease - 500 bucks for the gears alone....NAAAAA!
Jul 25, 2014, 02:39 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Satai Glen
hi disabled I discovered a Company that Remake's any Kind of Micro gear of any size and they will help on any thing up scale or down scale any metal I mean anything you can send them the Gears and they will figure it out for you for what you need good luck
Sounds cool!
Do you have a link for me?

And where is that company located?
Jul 25, 2014, 08:35 AM
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a...m-drive/1.html

Here's an example of a usable surplus right angle drive motor.
Aug 02, 2014, 03:39 AM
Thread OP
Thanks!

Any other/more ideas, links or sources for me?
Especially strong, but cheaper motors and gears?

Ernst

Quick Reply