HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:34 AM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Build Log
Super Paragon

Hi guys, I would llike to share my experience with this glider. The story starts in 2004 when for work purposes I was in Frankfurt and visiting the local model shop I've seen a beautiful RES glider hangin from the ceiling, 130 inches of beauty. It was a streched version of the well known Paragon. The indicated weight was 54 oz. I said “finally the moment to try a glider is arrived”. The glider was in ARC version, covered installed everithing balanced and....suprise!! the weight increased to 75 oz!! It flew very well in windy condition but in dead calm it was not what I expected..in one minute or less it was on the ground. After some head scratching I start a couple of modification in the attempt to reduce weight. I've done a lot of hole in tail, instead of flex pushrod I've installed plastic pushrod and i moved backward the wing of about 2 centimetres. After that weigh was 67 oz. and flight characteristic was improved. After two good flight season during a winch launch the glider suffed a wing failure and I've seen the glider spinning toward the ground with one wing attached and the other wing spinning alone. The failure is occured due the weak connection between the wing rod and the main spar, the fusolage was broken...mhhhh and then? I put aside all pieces for a week and after that I design my pod and boom fusolage new V tail and new wing terminals. Final figures are: wing span 145” , weight 57 oz. Now is the glider i want. I post some photo if you are interested I continue to post. Regards Max
Aviatormax is offline Find More Posts by Aviatormax
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2014, 09:47 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,640 Posts
Beautiful sailplane, but it does not look anything like a Paragon.
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:20 AM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Yes you're right, the wing is the original part. The original Paragon was 118" wing span the version I build is the streched version 129" produced by Blu Airline a German Company. That is the base where I've started and then after the crash I radically modified to improve performance but using the original wing. The fusolage is my design, to transform the tail from cruciform to V tail, I've used the spreadsheet found in http://www.tailwindgliders.com/Files.html the website owned by Curts. Thank you Curtis!!!
Old Oct 05, 2014, 11:06 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
My first Paragon had the wing tip's broken after a radio failure so I built new ones 36 " for a 11 ft span

It flew very well, always wanted to just enlarge one by 25% for a 12 ft floater

Box stock they are hard to beat for a fun light air thermal getter

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 05, 2014, 12:01 PM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Yes I agree Don, it's for that reason I redesign the glider. On the box was writed Weight ready to fly 54oz!!! 54 oz was the bare wood!! the final wheigt was 75 oz.
Ok back to the buildin board. After cutting and sanding sides are ready to receive the triangular stock then the 5/16 doubler in the front to give ,after the sanding, the correct nose shape. Then I added the plywood doubler glued with epoxy and a triplex in the wing saddle area. In this way the fusolage is strong and light. I Put in the rear part a scrap conveniently shaped wood to give the correc taper to the rear fusolage. In this way is very simple to assemble the sides without any distorsion.
Old Oct 05, 2014, 04:03 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
1,994 Posts
A tip on your nose block, I used Basswood instead of the balsa

Even if you have the fuse glassed the soft balsa can get dented if you hit a rock or hard dirt on a landing

The Basswood stays in good shape but sands pretty good when getting the shape along with a balsa canopy

As you can see I put a little more of a point on the front, and slanted the rudder back a bit for a swoopy look

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Oct 05, 2014, 06:22 PM
Balsa breaks better
Buchanan Mi
Joined Apr 2005
2,133 Posts
That's just a little Paragon, This is a BIG Paragon!!

Joe
Thermaler is offline Find More Posts by Thermaler
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:09 PM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Ouchh it's veeery big, thank you Joe , never seen a so big paragon. But i don't have enough space in my home !!!!
Max
Old Oct 05, 2014, 10:14 PM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Hi Don the nose is hard balsa because I do a little calculation about weight moment,
and I don't need too much weight. In the front to balance there are the battery and .5 oz of lead. The nose and the lower fusolage is glassed to be ding resistant. Max
Old Oct 06, 2014, 09:06 AM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Today I show you the fusolage assembly. I glue the main bulkhead on one side and when the glue is set I add the second side. To align the fusolage I trace a line on the glass with a indelible felt tip pen then I lay the fusolage and check the middle of bulkeads with the reference line. Some clamp lock eveything into position.
To design the tips I traced the airfoil on paper then scanned and inserted into Profili professional software (thank you Stefano) and after some click here and there voilŕ ribs was ready for cutting. On the image you can see how are built, a very simple structure. Once finished are glued to the existing wing panel.
Old Oct 06, 2014, 11:10 AM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,057 Posts
Contractually if the thread has Paragon in the title I have to subscribe. So subscribed.

Nice work and nice job building!

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 06, 2014, 01:09 PM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Thank you Ryan for your subscription.
I have a bit of free time and I continue with the wing mod. I have added the spoilers because in the original kit was't installed but during landing the original paragon start to float at 1 meter from the ground for the entire field lenght before landing. At that time was my first glider and I've thinked "are not installed...probably are not necessary"..mahhh inexperience..
Picture are more clear than 1000 words. I'd like to clarify how the blade is made. I've cutted the blade from 5/64 balsa then it's sanded to the correct dimensions. I covered the d-box of the wing starting from the rear part (where it's housed the main spar) with trasparent film (used for food preservation) then fiberglass wetted, the blade, fiberglass wetted, and trasparent film. Then I put a piece of sponge rubber to spread the weight on the entire blade and finally some weight. After the epoxy has cured the blade mantain his shape,It's stiff and very light. A Hitec Hs 55 in each wing provides the muscle for deployment.
My english is not the best but Ihope you all understand what I wont to say.
Regards Max
Old Oct 07, 2014, 10:29 AM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Today I show you the boom. To find a suitable boom It wasn't a simple matter. To build one from scratch was not in my idea and then where to find it? I went with my family to a big sport store to buy a bicycle for my son and looking around I've seen a fishing pole without accessories and ..find it! a good tailboom.
Usually the V tail rests on the boom but I don't like it, I want the the tail flush with the boom.
I set the diameter in the fusolage at 2,5 centimeters and at end results in a diameter of 2,1 centimeters. To set the centerline parallel to the board I've done a little math, 2.5:2 =1.25 centimeters, 2.1:2=1.05 centimeters. the difference between the two is 2 millimeters, then i put a spacer of 5 centimeter in the point of greater diam. and a spacer of 5.2 centimeters in the point of smaller diam.
Then I cut the rear part on the centerline I've added a vertical bulkhead and a horizontal plate that go inside for 2 centimeters. I've added two self locking bolts undeside the plate to have the V tail detachable.
Then I reinforced the boom starting from 4 centimeters in front of the tail post till the end with epoxy and fiberglass wrapping the horizontal plate.
I locked inside the boom the pushrod housing in some spot with thikened expoxy.
Last edited by Aviatormax; Oct 07, 2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2014, 11:01 AM
Italy, Lazio, Tivoli
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
The tail structure is simple but I would like an airfoil shaped tail. The airfoil is HT21 designed by Prof. Drela.
The tail must be light and firm. For lightness purpose all the stick are tapered toward the end and the internal balsa framing thikness decrease from root to the end.
I started joining temporary with some spot of cyano the trailing edge of the front part of the tail with the leading edge of the elevator and set into proper position with some pins. Then I glued the external stick using cyano and some pins and I completed adding the central part, the internal framing and some triangular reinforcement. Then I sanded the tail to the correct shape. I buid the second half in the same way. The weight of the tail at this stage was 2.14 Oz. The total tail surface is approx 196 square inches (I hope to have done the right conversion!!) I'm happy because I'm in my estimated weight.