SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 16, 2014, 11:28 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
438 Posts
Shaping pool noodles to form fuselages

Pool noodles make great SPAD fuselages, especially for flying wings or pushers (since they tend to be a bit flexible, I have not yet tried using one in a tractor application). They are cheap, light, easy to construct and double up as a shock absorber.

The nose can be shaped by carving as one would do for any other foam, but the finish tends to be less than smooth. I have heard of folks using a clothes iron to shape EPP, and I assume this could also work for pool noodles - the catch being that the iron is not going to be much use for ironing clothes again

I use a slightly different technique that seems to work well, even for quite complex shapes (i.e. F16 fuselage). The trick is to cut the profile you want on the INSIDE of the noodle and then pinch the resulting 'wedge' together and glue with contact adhesive. This keeps the nice smooth surface finish of the original noodle intact. I usually just do the cutting by eye, but you could use a paper template to be a bit more precise. As with everything, practice makes perfect and its definitely worth practicing on some scraps before cutting your first nose.

Once again, hopefully a schematic and some pictures will make this technique a bit clearer.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 16, 2014, 01:12 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Brunei, Brunei-Muara, Masin
Joined Nov 2013
130 Posts
Use a Teflon iron shield, you can slip it off when you're done and your iron remains pristine.

They are only a few bucks.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-UNIVERSAL...m/B000PK31XI/2
immike is offline Find More Posts by immike
Old Jul 16, 2014, 04:23 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Thanks ES. SO simple yet effective!
pzanni is offline Find More Posts by pzanni
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:17 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
FWIW

HERES the maiden video finally of the mini hell on rails

Slapped on a 3s 2200mah
1350kv 100 w motor
9 x 8 prop

AUW WITH 2200 about 510gms

I've made a 2.5mm correx conventional wing with 3 deg dihedral and interestingly this came out as about same weight as the single skin 3mm version.

Will maiden video tht too.

Simple construction. Used epp foam in LE, 3mm corro spar with a fibre rod inserted in flutes at spar and a shorter length in LE

Joiner is a 90mm piece of mdf.

Ailerons are simply the 2.5mm correct wing folded over and crushed and ca
Last edited by pzanni; Jul 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM. Reason: 9 x 8 prop
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:34 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
And the video…

Mini Hell on Rails SPAD (1 min 59 sec)
Old Jul 27, 2014, 05:42 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
438 Posts
Nice - it looks like it can fly at a sedate pace suitable for a park, rather than needing to be hauled around at high speed just to remain airborne.

But a 9x8 prop on a 1350KV 100W motor seems very ambitious. I usually pull closer to 200W with a 9x6 at that sort of RPM!
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jul 27, 2014, 06:07 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
But a 9x8 prop on a 1350KV 100W motor seems very ambitious. I usually pull closer to 200W with a 9x6 at that sort of RPM!
Thanks ES. I know it sounds odd but thats the setup!

I was getting sick of lacklustre performance (or perhaps my planes are just too heavy!) so I've simply been stepping up prop size/pitch to see how these little motors will go. Motor wasn't even warm after 3 min of flight at mostly WOT.

Anyway, will be going with 3s 1300mah and an 8 x 4 prop for the 2.5 mm corro wing.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 08:04 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Here's a small basic tip that might be useful for smaller planes and pushers especially.

Here in Aus we have a bird/pidgeon deterrent in the form of stainless steel spikes that are bent and attached to long plastic strips.

I've cut a section of this stuff where just two prongs protrude.

I'm using as landing gear for a lightweight pusher.

Retaining some of the original plastic strip makes it easy to attach to plane with the idea that it'll break before the plane does on a heavy landing.

Unsure of wire gauge but similar to piano wire push rod. As I said, only good for the lighter models.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 08:04 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409706259.798694.jpg
Views: 16
Size: 27.4 KB
Description:
Photo
Old Sep 02, 2014, 08:06 PM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2013
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pzanni View Post
Thanks ES. I know it sounds odd but thats the setup!

I was getting sick of lacklustre performance (or perhaps my planes are just too heavy!) so I've simply been stepping up prop size/pitch to see how these little motors will go. Motor wasn't even warm after 3 min of flight at mostly WOT.

Anyway, will be going with 3s 1300mah and an 8 x 4 prop for the 2.5 mm corro wing.

Lol, I was reading the prop size upside down… indeed you are right, I was using an 8x6