SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2013, 10:29 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Discussion
UMX Beast servo repair

I bought a good priced brand new UMX beast off ebay and completely neglected the fact that in the listing it said that it had a bad elevator servo. DOH! I'm considering throwing it on the classified and not deal with it but I would appreciate some first hand knowledge of how hard/expensive this is to fix.

It looks like the the brick is the AR6400LBL, can an individual servo be fixed off this? Should i replace the entire board? looks like the AR6400LBL runs around $60....help cheer me up.

Thanks
sprokus is offline Find More Posts by sprokus
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2013, 12:48 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,270 Posts
Define "bad" , the good thing is nearly everything is repairable if you have decent soldering skills.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Mar 23, 2013, 03:20 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Well it seems to me that the servo does not respond when the plane is powered up, it is stuck in the full downward position. My soldering isn't perfect but I get by so hopefully i'll get it done right. Do you know what parts I need/a source? I can't seem to find a breakdown of the AR6400LBL and its components
Old Mar 23, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
i have found the servo mechanics that are used on the ailerons but im not sure if they are also used on the brick, here

Is this what i'm looking for scousetheif? Thanks
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:24 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
OK, one thing at a time!

First thing to check is to see if the pushrod isn't simply sticking somewhere, hindering the servo from returning to neutral.

If you can get the servo unstuck by jiggling a bit there's your clue.

If that doesn't yield any results cut through the tape holding the canopy in place, that'll give you access to the board. Unplug the flight battery and by turning the cog wheel return the servo to neutral position and reconnect the battery.
If nothing happens then gradually give down elevator on the transmitter, regularily returning to neutral and see at which point the servo gets stuck; could be some impurities on the resistor strip. Some guys have been using something called Deoxit to clean the strip, else you can disassemble the servo using the smallest Phillips screwdriver you can find and gently rub the strips with Q-tips.
If the servo sticks at the very end you could reduce servo travel on your transmitter to say 95% and call it a day.
If nothing works you probably have a dead motor and should order the spare servo parts but there's no guarantee this will solve your problem I'm afraid.
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old Mar 23, 2013, 07:47 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jan 2013
24 Posts
Ok so I checked for obstructions, couldn't find any and then birthed her. I advanced the wheel on my own to multiple positions. It feels a little more sticky than the other servo. When powering back up, nothing, It never even twitches so it makes me think that the servo motor is burned up inside. I could start to pull this one apart but i'd like to get a new servo in the mail...anyone know if the one i linked previous is the right one?
Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:34 PM
No worries... it can be fixed.
Joined Jun 2012
134 Posts
I've found that the wires pull out of these things all the time- instead of being soldered directly in like a component, they're attached to the board with wires running out to the side and back in. If the brick is still mounted inside the fuse, this will take removing it and getting at the bottom. Between the patches of solder for the wires, there's what appears to be a capacitor that acts as a good guide for keeping the solder in line. Just keep it steady, and whatever you do, don't join anything together! Hope it helps.
Billybobjoepants is offline Find More Posts by Billybobjoepants
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:07 AM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
963 Posts
yes it could be a burned motor.

No need to solder on the board though, just snip the old motor leads and splice the new leads to those.
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer