SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 14, 2014, 04:52 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
United States, WA, Vashon
Joined Sep 2013
929 Posts
I have not flown with stability in any plane, save for a micro that came that way. I have only been flying for a little over a year and have preferred doing it all on my own. With it's occasional pitfalls. Once I know that I can do it, and what it really feels like. Then I think I will start trying the stability, to fly less nervously.

But I want to do it on my own with all planes first. Don't love the false security of the stability. And want to be able to remember what it feels like when I have to think of everything at every moment. Wind direction included.

But if I looked forward to a tameness in any of my planes, it would be this FMS T28!
thosmosis is online now Find More Posts by thosmosis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2014, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
I have not flown with stability in any plane, save for a micro that came that way. I have only been flying for a little over a year and have preferred doing it all on my own. With it's occasional pitfalls. Once I know that I can do it, and what it really feels like. Then I think I will start trying the stability, to fly less nervously.

But I want to do it on my own with all planes first. Don't love the false security of the stability. And want to be able to remember what it feels like when I have to think of everything at every moment. Wind direction included.

But if I looked forward to a tameness in any of my planes, it would be this FMS T28!
Trust me, this plane needs stability. If you've been flying for a year, that is more than ample time to learn what the plane "feels like" so not sure why you are afraid to try stability. Don't you also understand you can turn it off if you want? Even with stability, you still have to land the plane, and fight wind, take into account cross winds, etc. Don't confuse this with SAFE or auto-pilot.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Oct 15, 2014, 05:07 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadzone View Post
Trust me, this plane needs stability. If you've been flying for a year, that is more than ample time to learn what the plane "feels like" so not sure why you are afraid to try stability. Don't you also understand you can turn it off if you want? Even with stability, you still have to land the plane, and fight wind, take into account cross winds, etc. Don't confuse this with SAFE or auto-pilot.
I have a gyro that I got from Nitroplanes as a freebe. I never used it. I also just bought an all in one Orange Rx and stab controller to check out...
Old Oct 15, 2014, 07:12 AM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
929 Posts
What Gyro is the best for this plane? I hear Lemmon is good.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 11:45 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Oct 2013
549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thosmosis View Post
What Gyro is the best for this plane? I hear Lemmon is good.
I tried both Orange and Lemon on this plane, both are good stability. But the Orange receiver is crap (DMS2), almost lost the plane a couple of times due to signal loss. Changed to Lemon and no issues. I'm never going back to Orange. Lemon is much smaller footprint too so generally is better choice for small planes.
deadzone is offline Find More Posts by deadzone
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2013
9 Posts
saw a balsa type of this rc plane, very nice but larger one. like it very much.

http://www.hobbyease.com/t-28-trojan...c-a-p1557.html
Leo Franco is offline Find More Posts by Leo Franco
Old Oct 15, 2014, 09:38 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
929 Posts
Wow! With shipping to the US for me at $300, the total is around $800 for a balsa plane. Seems crazy pricing... But it is an 80" wing!
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:23 PM
that's gonna leave a scar
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2007
3,516 Posts
I have 4 of these planes flying. they fly so smooth , I've never even thought about putting a "gyro/stabilizer" in them
KCinNC is offline Find More Posts by KCinNC
Old Oct 19, 2014, 09:52 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
929 Posts
Nice collection. Of a great model.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:12 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jun 2012
1,293 Posts
I just cannot seem to keep this plane in the air. I have a ton flights on my UMX Corsair and Mig edf. 3 attempts = 3 lawn darts. The damage is a crackled crawl and three props. At $4 a prop this plane is getting expensive and providing me no joy. Other then the UMX planes, I fly CP helicopter regularly.
Jasen40 is online now Find More Posts by Jasen40
Old Oct 19, 2014, 11:18 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
929 Posts
Try ROG if using 2S 1000-1100. I hot glued four quarters to the nose. Remove the cowl and attach to the foam. Then re install cowl. I fly the same weight on 3S 1100.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM
United States, NY, West Islip
Joined Apr 2008
256 Posts
Jasen40
What battery are you using?
I fly with a admiral 2s 1300mah 30c on stock setup. Takeoffs are rog and she flies nicely.
MaximumDeflection is offline Find More Posts by MaximumDeflection
Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,293 Posts
@thosmosis Yes I am going with a Rog method. I may try a hand launch.
@MaximumDeflection I am using a 2s 1000mah. My guess is I am not getting enough speed before taking off, and its tip stalling with a hard left torque roll.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM
"Champ'ion Newb"
Joined Sep 2013
929 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasen40 View Post
@thosmosis Yes I am going with a Rog method. I may try a hand launch.
@MaximumDeflection I am using a 2s 1000mah. My guess is I am not getting enough speed before taking off, and its tip stalling with a hard left torque roll.
Pretty big leap going from micros and helis to the FMS 800 anything... The T28 is supposed to be the tamest of the lot. But all of these planes take space and speed. I had all sorts of problems with it as my first warbird... You tend to want to take off at half throttle like the floaty micros... But this won't do it. Best to RoG with long roll out to almost full throttle on 2S. Don't gas it all the way too early.

Fly's easier with 3S. Half throttle at 3s, is full throttle at 2S. So, that helps dumb thumbs that are used to planes that have any kind of floaty tendencies. Which this has little of, unless buzzing into the wind.

I smashed the nose and broke off a wing before I got used to it.

And you are supposed to upgrade the ESC if going to 3S. Though I think it's a 20 or 25 amp -- so, could do okay anyway...

But I flew 2S and 3S, both 1000mah.

I did have luck with hand launch for a time, before I tried using less gas... Noses in... And if you gas too little and launch, then try to correct with full throttle, you could torque roll. Best at full to 3/4 throttle while still in your hand on 2S, then toss up and away. Never go below half throttle unless trying to descend...
Last edited by thosmosis; Today at 03:19 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,293 Posts
Thanks for the help. I am going to pop 30 amp esc I have in it, along with an orange Rx with stabilization. I have some 3s zippy compacts to use with the new setup, it will get another go around this weekend