HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:57 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheerajjuneja View Post
Thanks integrity, you have been very helpfull. Will do this and let you know how it goes. Will look for someone selling the xtreme landing gear, as the stock one is just pathetic.

Today, I managed to broke the ball joint on the main blade holder, which holds one of the linkage rod from the blade holder to swash plate, the worst part is that the ball joint left its thread part inside the blade holder only. Will I need t order a new blade holder now, or is there a way to get that section out of there to put in a new ball joint.
Humm.. Sometimes you can use a dremel or a engraving tool and etch or cut a groove in the head. Then use a slotted screw driver and some heat from a soldering iron to remove it. But these little screws are very hard to work with.

I would normally recommend doing the upgrade to the D02S rotor head. But that is very involved and can be a little costly. But the D02S rotor head is much more durable. But it requires you to drill out the hole on the main gear and install some bearing shims for the main shaft bearings from the D02S to fit. I used some micro sized lock washers. You could also use rubber o-rings or steel wire. You can see in my build log some pictures and some details. It's not a specific "how to upgrade" but you can see the pictures and how i put the heli back together after doing my frame swap. Otherwise for the time being you probably have to buy whole new blade grips. Avoid the "upgrade" CNC rotor heads and things for this heli too. They are nicer than the stock, but for the money the D02S upgrade is more durable and very crash resistant. Not to mention the main shaft and feathering shaft are MUCH more durable on the v120d02S model rotorhead. You should be able to find everything you need at a bolt & nut supply or hardware store for the bearing shims.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
I see what you mean, I have just ordered the blade grips for now, have seen your upgrade thread and am subscribed to it, but I guess it would be too much for me for now...
dheerajjuneja is offline Find More Posts by dheerajjuneja
Site Sponsor
Last edited by dheerajjuneja; Sep 02, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Just trying hard ( on sim ) to get the orientations clear in head, so stop breaking the stuff
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis MCH View Post
"Rafa CB100" has soldered his motor to the ESC. You might find him on the V120D02s thread and ask him about it. He has some mild power interruption that he was able to fix by soldering up the ESC to the motor. I've never tried it myself.
Thanks Travis, will try to contact him.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:38 PM
United States, TX, New Braunfels
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
I got some good flying in on my D05s today. After a quick crash on my #1, I pulled out the back up and had a good day. With some pretty good gusts and sustained winds I was flying some really good circuits and pulling off some nice flips. I did more flips today than ever before and the RX2622 held the tail just perfect. The 215-T had monster power for some steep verticle climbs and plenty of power to pull out of steep dives. My favorite move of the day was a steep climb into a flip then a quick stall turn and back around again. I was finally comfortable thowing the tail around and getting better at more aggresive moves. I wanted to try some inverted flight but decided not to press my luck. Maybe next time.
I love this heli!
Travis MCH is offline Find More Posts by Travis MCH
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
By the way, the .32mm 20 gauge soft aluminum wire works great for the main gear sheer pin. My stupid crash on #1 went into soft grass and the sheer pin saved the day. No damage! Finally I can stop buying gears that I have to drill out for the D02s main shaft. My pile of four should last me a while now with the new sheer pine wire.
Get it, use it, you'll love it!
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:38 PM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
By the way, the .32mm 20 gauge soft aluminum wire works great for the main gear sheer pin. My stupid crash on #1 went into soft grass and the sheer pin saved the day. No damage! Finally I can stop buying gears that I have to drill out for the D02s main shaft. My pile of four should last me a while now with the new sheer pine wire.
Get it, use it, you'll love it!
Oh yeah, i kept forgetting to update my build log.

Here is the entry for the sheer pins:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=14

Here is the link for the whole build log:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1674113

-

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22633511&postcount=14"]
Old Sep 03, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
I got some good flying in on my D05s today. After a quick crash on my #1, I pulled out the back up and had a good day. With some pretty good gusts and sustained winds I was flying some really good circuits and pulling off some nice flips. I did more flips today than ever before and the RX2622 held the tail just perfect. The 215-T had monster power for some steep verticle climbs and plenty of power to pull out of steep dives. My favorite move of the day was a steep climb into a flip then a quick stall turn and back around again. I was finally comfortable thowing the tail around and getting better at more aggresive moves. I wanted to try some inverted flight but decided not to press my luck. Maybe next time.
I love this heli!
Travis, your post is pulling me towards doing the most expensive upgrade on this heli I.e. Rx2622 around 70usd with shipping, I hope it's going to be worth it by saving money in preventing crashes?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 12:00 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
I love this heli!
I'm so glad your enjoying yourself. You going to start shooting some video?

Quote:
Travis, your post is pulling me towards doing the most expensive upgrade on this heli I.e. Rx2622 around 70usd with shipping, I hope it's going to be worth it by saving money in preventing crashes?
In my opinion, The RX and motor are the only necessary upgrades to really fly the heli well. The rest are just to save money in the long run by not having to replace shafts and bent CNC parts anymore after a crash. The motor can be done later when your flying abilities enter the realm of 3D. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to invert or even flip the heli with the stock RX. Not successfully anyway.. I think most people would agree, you can even find videos on youtube about how horrible the D05 is. The RX makes a huge difference.
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:35 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks Integrity, order for the RX is placed, should have it in next 2 weeks. As you rightly said right in the begining, this heli needs some work to make it good, i have started to like this heli a lot ... i hope these upgrades will grow this love even more
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:30 AM
IHW Heli Division
Joined Mar 2012
7,124 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Integrity, order for the RX is placed, should have it in next 2 weeks. As you rightly said right in the begining, this heli needs some work to make it good, i have started to like this heli a lot ... i hope these upgrades will grow this love even more
Once you get the new RX, you might have to reverse your PIT and AILE wires for it to work properly. Just keep that in mind when wiring the servos. Check movement before trying to fly. Once you have it setup right, you will love the heli with the new RX. It will fly much smoother and hold the tail better. Over all, it will be more stable in the air! I'm excited for you
Old Sep 04, 2012, 05:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Ok, will get back to you once the RX is here, till then will continue flying with stock RX, by then i should already have the new Motor, the new main rotor grip set. This Heli needs 100% correct tracking and balancing of the blades, once that is done it starts to fly good. I am just waiting to see the power difference with the new motor etc
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:11 AM
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
Dheerajjuneja,

Once you get the new RX installed, keep the gyro pot around the 10:00 position. Any higher and you will get the shakes. I turned mine up until I got the shakes then backed off a bit until it smoothed out. This gives me the best balance possible with this RX.
Old Sep 05, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joined Jul 2012
129 Posts
Thanks Travis, shall do that. Today i got the new landing gear (the stock version, but it seems to be more flexible than what i got with the heli, hopefully it will hold on better).

Also got the motor, shafts etc. Seems the rotor shaft is bent a bit, but what do i use to open the screws, seems like a .9mm hex, but that size is only available with multi-bit tool sets e.g.
http://dx.com/p/31-in-1-precision-mu...k-silver-53711

Will this work? What tool are you using to open the rotor shaft etc?
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 05, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined May 2011
489 Posts
dheerajjuneja,

Yes, I think it's a very tiny hex wrench to open up the head to get to the feathering shaft. I'm not sure the size. I have a multi hex wrech tool thing and it must be on there. It's the smallest one I have.

Sorry not to be more help with this.

Travis