HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:52 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2004
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
Any good Eurofighter kits out there that would work with a RAM 750? I have been looking around and haven't found one yet.
Nothing is coming to mind. Either bigger, or smaller. The problem with the engine you got is that since it's older... it's lower power than engines of similar size. Just as an FYI... that engine evolved into the Ram 1000, and was putting out close to 30 Lbs of thrust. Yours is probably 17 to 18 Lbs.

It would fly a Rookie, or Harpoon.
Dr Honda is online now Find More Posts by Dr Honda
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:36 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Yea, I was told 18 lbs.
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:47 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Anyone know any specs on this one? My Ram is 4.5" in diameter.

http://www.grumania.com/xtcommerce/J...ighter::2.html
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Ooops, sorry; wrong area.
Last edited by av8ersteve; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:31 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
Joined May 2004
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know any specs on this one? My Ram is 4.5" in diameter.

http://www.grumania.com/xtcommerce/J...ighter::2.html
It's too small. That's a ram 500 sized model. You may physically get your 750 to fit... but you won't be able to properly duct the thrust... and you won't have any room for fuel. You may have 18 Lbs... but it's a thirsty engine because of it's inefficiencys. SO... you need to be able to carry +70 oz of fuel for a 4~5 min flight. The Wren 54 (the ideal engine for it) only needs 50 oz for a nice 6 min flight.

Please don't take what I'm saying about the older RAM in a negative way. BUT... you have to think about the airframe it will work in.

****EDIT*****

I just downloaded the manual... and it's really meant to fly on a Wren 44. So... you would only have to carry a quart of fuel... and it would be nice an light. Also... it's saying to turn down engines making too much thrust. (more than 14 Lbs?)
Last edited by Dr Honda; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:29 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
No prob bud, I understand about the RAM. I've read a lot and I know, but it being my first, I'm still excited . And I posted the wrong one. If you go back to that same web page and look to the left, you'll see a 1/8th scale one. that's the one I meant if it would fit in. I'll put below:

http://www.grumania.com/xtcommerce/J...hoon::238.html
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:55 AM
Joined May 2004
1,161 Posts
OK.... that one would be fine. 80N is just about 18lbs of thrust.

And I am a fan of the older engines. They are just big and heavy compared to modern engines.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 07:16 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Good to hear. I believe that's the one. I'll get through Christmas, save a little, and then jump into it. Anyone build one of these? Is there a better one available? Thanks.

Last edited by av8ersteve; Dec 13, 2012 at 07:52 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:56 AM
Joined May 2004
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Anyone build one of these? Is there a better one available? Thanks.

I like this board... but if you are a member over on RCU... you will get a better response. The turbine section is probably the highest traffic of any jet boards. (and older too)

But, I would also like to know. I would like to build that smaller one eventually.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:17 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
I like this board... but if you are a member over on RCU... you will get a better response. The turbine section is probably the highest traffic of any jet boards. (and older too)

But, I would also like to know. I would like to build that smaller one eventually.
Me to. The Euro is one of my most favorite jets and I have been dying to have a turbine one. I just hope it fly's well and also will slow down a little. I would go with the smaller one first but I'm limited due to the size of my turbine.

I'll see you over st RCU. Thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined May 2004
1,161 Posts
In the case of a flying wing, or Delta... bigger is better. (in this case) I've finally put my hands on a HotSpot jet. It needs a little love... but I'll have it flying for early summer. It needs to be re-painted... but I need a little warmer weather to do that.

I'm Dr Honda on RCU too.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:26 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Should I get the Elan First?

I keep going back and forth in my head.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined May 2004
1,161 Posts
There's noting wrong with an Elan. They fly how ever you feel. They slow down for landing... and they can be flown hard without hurting them.

The nice thing about a jet like that is you can sell it for almost what you paid for it.

If you want to save a few $$$ and you like that style... you can get a Boomerang Sprint.

Either way... Todd at DreamworksRC is running 10% off. He sells Boomerang Jets.
Last edited by Dr Honda; Dec 14, 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,020 Posts
My first turbine was an Elan with a Ram 750. Its a very good combo. You cant go wrong.

As Honda says.. It will do anything you ask of it.

You want a good flying plane like this because a newbie will spend about 50% of their attention on the turbine its self. You dont need to add extra attention worrying about the planes flight characteristics. Eventually you will stop thinking about the engine so much and then start to fly the plane to its full capabilities which are endless. It is after all considered a 3D plane as far as jets go.

As someone once said to me.. "once you forget that theres a turbine on the back..you will fly it like any other model you have"

I also had the Sprint jet with the 750 on her, and it flys amazing. Either one of these planes is a very wise choice for your first turbine plane.

Learn to operate a Turbine engine first. I dont mean just to fly it.. I mean from the minute you show up to the field and start setting up/ fueling/ safe operations/ managing wet starts/ insureing by standers are at a safe distance/ warning people of the hot efflux/preparing to put out a fire. The list goes on. Once this is all second nature to you, then you will be able to spend more attention to flying a more demanding scale plane.

Trevor
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vettster; Dec 15, 2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Thanks to both of you. I have convinced "myself" now on how I should approach this. It's the Boomerang first for sure, learn, and then get more advanced.

Thanks