Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 03:42 PM
DWTRIAC23
United States, MA, North Andover
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Question
Increase radio range ?

Someone told me if you add another battery to your transmitter. Example, changing it from 6 volts to 7.5 volts that it will increase the range of your radio reception. Does anyone know this to be true??
dwtriac23 is offline Find More Posts by dwtriac23
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 04:08 PM
Vroooom putta putta putta
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
What sort of heli are we talking about?

On most of the low end sub-hobby products the Tx either takes 4 nominally 1.5V cells and uses a simple voltage drop to get ~ 5V, or 6 cells and uses a linear regulator to get ~5V.

I'd think bumpng a simple 4-cell Tx to 5 or 6 cells would merely risk frying the components.

Do you really mean "radio?" Most of the 4-cell Txs are IR as far as I can recall, and use IR LEDs as emitters. You might burn these hot for a little while - until either they go or the active eelctronic components go.

Your best bet is probably just to test your batteries every so often and replace the set when any start to fall, since there's some voltage sag. Along these lines use alkalines, since NiCds usually only run around 1.2V/ea.
SubtleT is offline Find More Posts by SubtleT
Last edited by SubtleT; Jun 04, 2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:33 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleT View Post

On most of the low end sub-hobby products the Tx either takes 4 nominally 1.5V cells and uses a simple voltage drop to get ~ 5V, or 6 cells and uses a linear regulator to get ~5V.

I'd think bumpng a simple 4-cell Tx to 5 or 6 cells would merely risk frying the components.

Do you really mean "radio?" Most of the 4-cell Txs are IR as far as I can recall, and use IR LEDs as emitters. You might burn these hot for a little while - until either they go or the active eelctronic components go.

Your best bet is probably just to test your batteries every so often and replace the set when any start to fall, since there's some voltage sag. Along these lines use alkalines, since NiCds usually only run around 1.2V/ea.
I don't think the number of batteries has much to do with range. All of our 'doofy' MJX helis have 4 batteries. The I/R T38 (like s107) has range of about 30' direct sight. The 27Mhz F27 has a range of 30 paces (~90'), and I have flown the 2.4Ghz F45 most of the way down a 460' field. The MJX tx's also warn you when battery is low. I flew an F27 60+ flights on the original AA's and they still showed 5.6V.

My NE J6Pro uses 8 batteries and after 50+ flights with 3 different helis, the battery shows 'full bars'. It's range appears to be about the same as the doofy tx that came with my MJX F45.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jun 05, 2012, 05:58 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:

it is a Syma S033G and the transmitter is 27 Mhz
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Hah!

I remember that now. I suspect I'd confused a mention of an MJX heli with a JXD (Doof King). Apologies, I goofed, and I won't pretend to know anything about MJX helis.

I'll go correct that now.
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:24 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,120 Posts
I don't know about your radio for sure, but my guess is "no".

Each radio and it's circuit board is designed to work at a certain voltage. Because of that, a typical board has a voltage regulator at the point of entry for the power source. For instance, a radio might use 8AA batteries (12v) as a power source. But internally, the PCB only operates at 5v. So at the point of entry, it is regulates to just 5v. (My radio is that way, so now, I'm only using a 2S cell, about 8v to drive it.) So even if you bumped up your power source from 6 to 7.5, the PCB will see what it allows through. Therefore, you're not going to boost the signal that way.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:50 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
Quote:
Hah!

I remember that now. I suspect I'd confused a mention of an MJX heli with a JXD (Doof King). Apologies, I goofed, and I won't pretend to know anything about MJX helis.

I'll go correct that now.
Doof King - Now that is funny! And so true!

T - you should try the MJX F45. It's a really nice step into fixed pitch and your back yard looks like it would be a perfect place to practice. You can even put it into mode 4 if you prefer that. It can handle a decent breeze, too, so it increases your flying days.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:31 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,272 Posts
Signal strength is determined by the transmitter and is regulated by FCC license. 27 mhz is intentionally low power output because it runs on the "citizen band" and is highly susceptible to interference and causing interference. Changing batteries will not increase power output.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Feb 2011
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
T - you should try the MJX F45. It's a really nice step into fixed pitch and your back yard looks like it would be a perfect place to practice. You can even put it into mode 4 if you prefer that. It can handle a decent breeze, too, so it increases your flying days.
It's a good thought, and I appreciate the recommendation. Might even happen once I unload a few more small coax helis now that school is getting out.

Lots of mine get resold far below cost to kids in the neighborhood to play with inside on rainy days. I've bought some weird stuff and some of it isn't fun for long so there is no point in it sitting here taking up space. I let a lot of 3CH helis go for about $8, making sure they know they're getting a used bird. I won't sell to kids under 13 w/o a signed note from parents. I use a sort of form letter thing I made about battery hazards and potential injury from operating rotors they have to get signed. I've resold a few 4CH new at cost as well, sometimes having bought 2 or 3 to make sure I get a "good" sample - I've been amazed at the variation in some models from unit to unit.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:16 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
I don't know about your radio for sure, but my guess is "no".

Each radio and it's circuit board is designed to work at a certain voltage. Because of that, a typical board has a voltage regulator at the point of entry for the power source. For instance, a radio might use 8AA batteries (12v) as a power source. But internally, the PCB only operates at 5v. So at the point of entry, it is regulates to just 5v. (My radio is that way, so now, I'm only using a 2S cell, about 8v to drive it.) So even if you bumped up your power source from 6 to 7.5, the PCB will see what it allows through. Therefore, you're not going to boost the signal that way.
Yes that makes sense from what little i did learn in electronics class in school. Thanks for the info
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:17 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
That makes sense...Thanks
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:18 PM
DWTRIAC23
Joined Feb 2012
173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Signal strength is determined by the transmitter and is regulated by FCC license. 27 mhz is intentionally low power output because it runs on the "citizen band" and is highly susceptible to interference and causing interference. Changing batteries will not increase power output.
That makes sense...Thanks