1,448 Posts
Sounds like he knows what he's talking about
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 03:25 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
I was told by a guy with experience with FMS, their electronics to include servos is rock solid. The only issue with the elevator servos on these big birds seem to eventually fail due to having to a large surface under such loading. I was told only that one needs to be swapped out for a beefier one.
Just passing on what I heard...
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:15 PM
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2011
1,448 Posts
That's nice to hear, I still have all original servos. (10 or so flights so far, and all servos look tight)
Mitchie is online now Find More Posts by Mitchie
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:25 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
919 Posts
He almost lost his FW190 when the servo failed on T/O, luckily it was frozen with a slight pitch up. As such he just used power to control his descent to landing. He had another FMS model do the same thing. This plane is big and heavy, so that small servo is working double duty. On gas'rs this size, the elevator would one servo per side to manage load.

Has anyone else swapped the elevator servo for a beefier one?
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:26 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eroeder View Post
I was told by a guy with experience with FMS, their electronics to include servos is rock solid. The only issue with the elevator servos on these big birds seem to eventually fail due to having to a large surface under such loading. I was told only that one needs to be swapped out for a beefier one.
Just passing on what I heard...
Is there "reallly" all that much load on the elevator servo? I mean, these birds are not going blazing fast. These servos are rated at decent ounces of Torque arent they? How much resistance is the elevator really having?

I can't see how it would stress out the elevator servo as there is not a whole lot of "fast" air moving over the elevator. These 1700mm planes go pretty decent "scale" speed and not a speed demon by no means.

How would someone know exactly how much "stress" it takes to move one of these slower 1700mm birds? When I grab the servo, that baby pushes VERY well on my fingers...the torque is pretty substantial enough that I would not want to try to "hold" the elevator while moving the servo for fear it would RIP the elevator servo horn out.

Just my thoughts.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:39 PM
Long Island, NY
Joined May 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev71H View Post
Is there "reallly" all that much load on the elevator servo? I mean, these birds are not going blazing fast. These servos are rated at decent ounces of Torque arent they? How much resistance is the elevator really having?

I can't see how it would stress out the elevator servo as there is not a whole lot of "fast" air moving over the elevator. These 1700mm planes go pretty decent "scale" speed and not a speed demon by no means.

How would someone know exactly how much "stress" it takes to move one of these slower 1700mm birds? When I grab the servo, that baby pushes VERY well on my fingers...the torque is pretty substantial enough that I would not want to try to "hold" the elevator while moving the servo for fear it would RIP the elevator servo horn out.

Just my thoughts.
Also the elevator "horns at the extremities" are quite big. That is part of the "light" controls on the FS.
Galand is offline Find More Posts by Galand
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:52 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,562 Posts
Kev, Post #2600 -

I have the H-K P-40N 1700. I think the flight loads are modest enough on these planes but it's the snatching and whiplash they get from the larger and heavier control surfaces while moving across the ground that eats the plastic gears up, as much as anything else. I went to metal geared servos on the tail surfaces for that reason.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Feb 07, 2013 at 05:02 PM.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:01 PM
RCMCConline com
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Apr 2002
3,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Kev, Post #2600 -

I have the H-K P-40N 1700. I think the flight loads are modest enough on these planes but it's the snatching and whiplash they get while moving across the ground that eats the plastic gears up. I went to metal geared servos on the tail surfaces for that reason.
Sounds sensible enough to me.
Kev71H is offline Find More Posts by Kev71H
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:03 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,778 Posts
Quote:

Just my thoughts.
I believe the actual load on a servo, caused by control surfaces, can be calculated quite easily.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to do this. But you have to know speed and surface in squire cm/inch.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:04 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,168 Posts
Quote:
He almost lost his FW190 when the servo failed on T/O, luckily it was frozen with a slight pitch up. As such he just used power to control his descent to landing. He had another FMS model do the same thing. This plane is big and heavy, so that small servo is working double duty. On gas'rs this size, the elevator would one servo per side to manage load.

Not so. The H9 models use one standrd size servo to run both elevators connected by a U wire.
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:04 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Sep 2005
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchie View Post
That's nice to hear, I still have all original servos. (10 or so flights so far, and all servos look tight)
The only reaso I need the servos is because I accidentally put 22v on all servos and they are all burn out.........
I can find nobody that have the replacement servos(originals) unless someone tell me who is selling them!
I might just buy hitecs!
Thanks for the hitec replacement options "struggleforlife"
cerralvo78 is offline Find More Posts by cerralvo78
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:06 PM
Dont be divided from the truth
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Mar 2010
3,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerralvo78 View Post
The only reaso I need the servos is because I accidentally put 22v on all servos and they are all burn out.........
I can find nobody that have the replacement servos(originals) unless someone tell me who is selling them!
I might just buy hitecs!
Thanks for the hitec replacement options "struggleforlife"
rc-castle.com
Dangaras is offline Find More Posts by Dangaras
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:30 PM
Gentle 'Bella'
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,562 Posts
Quote:
Sounds sensible enough to me.
Yeah, I could've added to that any fluttering of the surfaces in flight would have the same effect because of the size of the surfaces. I know this goes to theory a bit but I suspect they get jiggled a bit due to that even though the surfaces might have a tight gap. Someone might come along and set up a camera to watch them for a study.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:48 PM
Shameful Warbirdaholic.
Maple Valley, WA
Joined Apr 2006
8,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400xp View Post
Finally done! Well not really, I have small detail stuff to do but what a great looking scale plane!! I will have better pics soon.
Looks great!!
Aros is offline Find More Posts by Aros
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:54 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
Quote:

not elevator but rudder on the P51 1.7m yes. Replaced it with HiTech 625mg.

So far haven't had any issues after 10 flights, only servos im worried about are flaps. Oddly on my wing the flaps dont like to go all the way up, i had to adjust them.

As far as FMS electronics. Id say compared to everyone else they are really good, in fact better than them all with one exception. LX, on the new A10 and SU47 they come with all metal gear digital servos. Beefed up motors and ESC's.

I have some servos, and ESC from several FMS planes, some of them from two years ago and they are still in use today. That's saying something.
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm