Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 02, 2014, 11:52 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
396 Posts
A6M Zero plans

The zero has 5 flights on it now and flies really well now that its properly trimmed. It feels more 'draggy' and a little less 'zippy' than the FW190, but is very well behaved. Interestingly, with flaps and retracts it will still weigh significantly less than the RFT foam warbirds of the same wingspan. So here are the plans and some build notes:

Overall:
1) Build is very similar to the FW190, so I won't post too many build pictures; rather just those that show stuff that is specific to the Zero
2) Outline is reasonably scale. The nose is extended by only 20mm and I think I enlarged the wing by less than the 10% of the MIG and many other correx warbirds.
3) Tail feathers are to scale, but I did simplify the tail construction by eliminating the tail cone and replacing it with a full rudder (much as was done on the Harvards that were modified to look like zeros for the film "Tora, Tora". This also increases the rudder area without needing to enlarge the rudder, and made it easy to add a tailwheel. See picture for the details.
4) Plans were done in Sketchup, so don't conform to A0 size (for some reason Sketchup leaves lots of white space if you try to print to A0, so its easier to print to a 'custom size' and then just tile the plans). I've included the Sketchup file for anyone who wants to make some modifications.
5) Construction is all 2mm correx.
6) For powered flight, the set up is exactly the same as for the FW190.

Fuselage:
1) I decided to make the fuse from just a single piece of correx, despite the need for complex curves. This required extensive 'finger massage' to get the correx to take the right shape without creasing. I also had to cut a few slits aft of the cockpit to enable the correx to bend. It might be easier to do the top section aft of the cockpit as a separate piece of correx as is done with most of FB's designs.
2) I vacuum formed the canopy...it may be a bit large for the normal coke bottle technique.
3) Decalage/incidence is difficult to specify. My wing still has slightly too much incidence (needs a touch of down trim), but its hard to say exactly how much is needed, particularly as every correx wing is slightly different..so I'll leave it up to the builder to use his/her best TLAR skills for this one.
4) I added a gun cover as this is a distinctive part of the Zero's shape. Its just a piece of thin plastic or cardboard, but is quite optional

Wing
1) The plans show only the airfoiled wing with tapered ailerons. However, its simple enough to modify the templates for the conventional wing technique.
2) I've included templates for split flaps. These are not necessary, but are 'cool' for a powered version with wheels. Not sure if they would have any benefit for a sloper.
3) My ailerons are almost to scale. If not building with flaps, I'd suggest using full span ailerons (for ease of build and roll response)

Enjoy.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2014, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2009
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
The zero has 5 flights on it now and flies really well now that its properly trimmed. It feels more 'draggy' and a little less 'zippy' than the FW190, but is very well behaved. Interestingly, with flaps and retracts it will still weigh significantly less than the RFT foam warbirds of the same wingspan. So here are the plans and some build notes:

Overall:
1) Build is very similar to the FW190, so I won't post too many build pictures; rather just those that show stuff that is specific to the Zero
2) Outline is reasonably scale. The nose is extended by only 20mm and I think I enlarged the wing by less than the 10% of the MIG and many other correx warbirds.
3) Tail feathers are to scale, but I did simplify the tail construction by eliminating the tail cone and replacing it with a full rudder (much as was done on the Harvards that were modified to look like zeros for the film "Tora, Tora". This also increases the rudder area without needing to enlarge the rudder, and made it easy to add a tailwheel. See picture for the details.
4) Plans were done in Sketchup, so don't conform to A0 size (for some reason Sketchup leaves lots of white space if you try to print to A0, so its easier to print to a 'custom size' and then just tile the plans). I've included the Sketchup file for anyone who wants to make some modifications.
5) Construction is all 2mm correx.
6) For powered flight, the set up is exactly the same as for the FW190.

Fuselage:
1) I decided to make the fuse from just a single piece of correx, despite the need for complex curves. This required extensive 'finger massage' to get the correx to take the right shape without creasing. I also had to cut a few slits aft of the cockpit to enable the correx to bend. It might be easier to do the top section aft of the cockpit as a separate piece of correx as is done with most of FB's designs.
2) I vacuum formed the canopy...it may be a bit large for the normal coke bottle technique.
3) Decalage/incidence is difficult to specify. My wing still has slightly too much incidence (needs a touch of down trim), but its hard to say exactly how much is needed, particularly as every correx wing is slightly different..so I'll leave it up to the builder to use his/her best TLAR skills for this one.
4) I added a gun cover as this is a distinctive part of the Zero's shape. Its just a piece of thin plastic or cardboard, but is quite optional

Wing
1) The plans show only the airfoiled wing with tapered ailerons. However, its simple enough to modify the templates for the conventional wing technique.
2) I've included templates for split flaps. These are not necessary, but are 'cool' for a powered version with wheels. Not sure if they would have any benefit for a sloper.
3) My ailerons are almost to scale. If not building with flaps, I'd suggest using full span ailerons (for ease of build and roll response)

Enjoy.
I don't know how you do it. But I am JEALOUS.
I have been working on a 109 for ever I and I am not even close.
NaterPin is offline Find More Posts by NaterPin
Old Jul 05, 2014, 08:26 AM
Joined Jun 2012
8 Posts
First Correx Build (Impala)

Hi

We are a couple of friend that started to build Correx slopes, inspired by this awesome thread.
We will later post photos and thoughts of this process, since I am the first to finish mine.
I made my Impala's nose from a pool noodle.
Final weight is 990 g (I used 125 g in the nose to get it balanced).
Still need to cover the nose with black vinyl.
What is the typical wind speed that these planes fly comfortable in?

But for now; here is my First Impala. I will report back once I have maiden it.
Mreunit is offline Find More Posts by Mreunit
Old Jul 05, 2014, 09:48 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,505 Posts
WoW!!........sweeeeet Mreunit!
Typical wind??................not a one word answer!........but in "normal" conditions..... I'd say from 15 Km upwards!
Sean Oelofse is online now Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Last edited by Sean Oelofse; Jul 05, 2014 at 09:51 AM. Reason: I'm "comfortable" when my plane stays above the horizon! ;-)
Old Jul 08, 2014, 02:54 PM
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Oct 2012
205 Posts
Hawk TX number three getting ready to hit the slopes...
TrevorJS is offline Find More Posts by TrevorJS
Old Jul 08, 2014, 04:22 PM
I'd rather be out sloping...
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Jan 2011
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorJS View Post
Hawk TX number three getting ready to hit the slopes...
Nice fleet!

Now for some formation flying.
Jak35 is offline Find More Posts by Jak35
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 09, 2014, 01:22 AM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak35 View Post
......Now for some formation flying.
...... Yes!!.....Rebel style formation flying!!.......they will look awesome!!
Very pretty TJS!
Sean Oelofse is online now Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old Jul 10, 2014, 05:32 PM
United Kingdom, England, Caterham
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
Any news of the Zero as a sloper, if it has been flown as one? How does it compare to the FW 190 in this department?

Great plans and thanks for sharing.....
rondavel is offline Find More Posts by rondavel
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:30 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
396 Posts
I don't think either have been flown on the slope yet, but I can't see any reason why they should be any different from the other designs on this thread.

That said, my guess is that of the two, the FW190 is easier to build (mostly slab sided and a very simple canopy) and would have the better performance on the slope. While the Zero is very well behaved, it is noticeably slower and a little less nimble than the '190, and it feels like there is a lot more drag. While this is great for park flying, it is probably not ideal for sloping. How much of this is due to specifics of my prototype or inherent in the design, I am not sure, but would be great to hear from others who built it (I used a relatively thick spar and very rounded leading edges in order to make space for retracts, both of which no doubt add drag....I have indicated on the plans where to thin the spar if desired. Its also got more dihedral than the '190 and I suspect the flaps add some drag, even when not deployed). The Zero tends to drop a wing if held in the stall, while the FW has to be forced into a spin. This could be due to the higher taper of the Zero wing, but also could be attributed to my being lucky and getting the '190's wing perfectly symmetrical with just the right amount of washout.

Also, the Butcher Bird looks meaner.

Hope this helps.
Extreme Sports is offline Find More Posts by Extreme Sports
Old Jul 11, 2014, 04:49 AM
Hangin' for a strong SW
Australia, VIC, Sebastopol
Joined Apr 2012
740 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
I don't think either have been flown on the slope yet, but I can't see any reason why they should be any different from the other designs on this thread.

That said, my guess is that of the two, the FW190 is easier to build (mostly slab sided and a very simple canopy) and would have the better performance on the slope. While the Zero is very well behaved, it is noticeably slower and a little less nimble than the '190, and it feels like there is a lot more drag. While this is great for park flying, it is probably not ideal for sloping. How much of this is due to specifics of my prototype or inherent in the design, I am not sure, but would be great to hear from others who built it (I used a relatively thick spar and very rounded leading edges in order to make space for retracts, both of which no doubt add drag....I have indicated on the plans where to thin the spar if desired. Its also got more dihedral than the '190 and I suspect the flaps add some drag, even when not deployed). The Zero tends to drop a wing if held in the stall, while the FW has to be forced into a spin. This could be due to the higher taper of the Zero wing, but also could be attributed to my being lucky and getting the '190's wing perfectly symmetrical with just the right amount of washout.

Also, the Butcher Bird looks meaner.

Hope this helps.
My guess would be if you built them with a more slope friendly wing section it'd be just fine. IE thinner and sharper.
slothy89 is offline Find More Posts by slothy89
Old Jul 11, 2014, 01:57 PM
South Africa, EC, Port Elizabeth
Joined Oct 2012
205 Posts
CorroFouga MK2 Plans

I finally updated the plans for the CorroFouga MK2, and am looking forward to some more flying at Maitlands. I also posted the build pics on the blog below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post28885450
TrevorJS is offline Find More Posts by TrevorJS
Old Jul 11, 2014, 05:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Caterham
Joined Jan 2012
46 Posts
Thanks Extreme Sports....

Good commentary and analysis.... I shall one fine blowing day (after I have finished the little extension and my man cave over here), have a go certainly at your FW 190.

Lekker. Happy flying.

Rory
rondavel is offline Find More Posts by rondavel