Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:36 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,962 Posts
Discussion
soldering servo wires to rx pins?

I bought some very light stuff from Hobby King to make a flight pack. I have a Berg like receiver making it the heaviest component of the flight pack. The servos have the wrong ends on them so I was thinking o soldering the servo wires directly to the receiver pins to lose the weight of the connectors. . Is this OK to do? Will the heat from the soldering damage the Rx? Any tips? RCNutt
rcnutt is offline Find More Posts by rcnutt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:49 AM
ror
Joined Aug 2009
107 Posts
No pb ! I did it there is a lot of years on a Rx and it flew very well .
ror is offline Find More Posts by ror
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:39 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,962 Posts
Thanx, I give it a go! RCNutt
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:47 AM
ror
Joined Aug 2009
107 Posts
maybe add a little shrink tube on each pins/wires
ror is offline Find More Posts by ror
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:12 AM
A.K.A sir Crashalot
Ístersund, SWEDEN
Joined Sep 2005
899 Posts
While Your at it. Why not desolder the pins from the RX too and solder the wires directly to the pcb? not much harder but saves some weight
methuso is offline Find More Posts by methuso
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:25 AM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,962 Posts
Looking for a tiny rx

I soldered the servo wires directly to the pins and everything is working. What I would really like is a micro rx that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a standard 72 mhz Tx. My rx is big and clunky next to my other airborne flight pack parts. Any suggestions? RCNutt
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:43 PM
Joined Nov 2012
13 Posts
I do not suggest soldering servo wires to rx, unless ~0.5 gr gain is important for you.
davidTs is offline Find More Posts by davidTs
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:59 PM
Centerville, In. USA
Joined Jul 2001
1,962 Posts
The reason I soldered onto the pins was that the servos came with the wrong ends on them. So I had to do the soldering anyhow and come up with some Futaba servo ends. It was easier and it is a tiny bit lighter as a bonus. RCNutt
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:08 PM
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
6,869 Posts
Certainly Do able if somewhat Hill Billy :-)
It can get a bit fiddly in there when soldering and the subsequent adequate removal of solder on those Rx pins may preclude using connecters again. Ain't no free lunch.. ever :-)
But remember that The Berg uses Chips and that Means NO Soldering guns only Pencils
Dunno that one can? find a 72mhz Rx lighter than a Castle Berg. Mine measure 3.7 gms
Even newest 2.4hz chip Rx's are in the 3 gm range.
What I've Finally ! realized is that Models have a rather Nasty trend to always Smaller.
Invariably a step or 2 beyond whatever Avionics one currently owns.. regardless of just how tiny it was.. last week..
Pick a size that your gear is small enough for (likely a 3" Bigger wingspan, than the current Hot Topic model size).. And Relax.
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Last edited by Bare; Feb 11, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:07 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutt View Post
I soldered the servo wires directly to the pins and everything is working. What I would really like is a micro rx that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I have a standard 72 mhz Tx. My rx is big and clunky next to my other airborne flight pack parts. Any suggestions? RCNutt
I have several of the ZX Technology 4 channels Rx(72 Mhz)and they work fine, they come with jst servo connectors (S,Gnd and V+ order,same as Plantraco servo Rx). BP Hobbies still has the 6 channels version:
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id...4&pid=E1704723
As well as a few other places(ZX Tech. no longer exist!)
http://www.bidproduct.com/part/Produ...YSTAL_110.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1014621
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:29 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnutt View Post
Looking for a tiny rx

Consider converting to 2.4 DSM?

LemonRx has a 1.4g, 6 ch (no pin) Rx for $6.

Full LemonRx line.

LemonRx thread.

KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Last edited by KC; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:43 AM.