Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:43 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowBarless View Post
If you have drawings and approximate sizes I could carve a plug and make a mould for them.

You're better off though just using the covers you have, getting some 3mm balsa, cutting to the right shape and using it to lift the covers a little bit.
then you get a sharp edge in front, otherwise it would to to much handwork with balsa... the way Tim did them looks awsome + you get something complete you can take off and same material, wnat my Viper to look nice also.... IF he wants to make it, IŽll take a pair
sebbe is offline Find More Posts by sebbe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:46 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
I've found tape works nicely.
..a

this was my thought, but more cut a hole in the covers I have, put the thick servo in, put the top on the servos , then cover the space(3mm) with same strong tape... would work, but I want it to look pro, so I think Tims covers would be best ..
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:26 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Dec 1999
7,338 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebbe View Post
Ive seen them, but the cost is astronomical
I see them for about $75US--hardly astronomical in my book--after all a good plane F5D plane like the Viper costs nearly $600US. Having servos that have good gears that don't break and also fit correctly would seem like a reasonable investment.

Steve Neu
sneu is offline Find More Posts by sneu
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:39 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
I can agree in some matter Steve, but why should gears break ? even small nylon ones, they dont...
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:03 PM
Joined Dec 1999
7,338 Posts
Quote:
I can agree in some matter Steve, but why should gears break ? even small nylon ones, they dont...
The servos with strong low lash metal gears like the 7115 offer much stiffer control surface holding than do most of the plastic geared servos. When thee Avionik B10s went with the 7115s the stiffer holding of the aileron got rid of all flutter at high speed.

Gears break from flutter and from overloading--sometimes just accidents on the ground If you make the plastic gears large enough to not break the servo gets too big for fitting in thin wings.

Steve
Old Oct 09, 2012, 03:38 PM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneu View Post
The servos with strong low lash metal gears like the 7115 offer much stiffer control surface holding than do most of the plastic geared servos. When thee Avionik B10s went with the 7115s the stiffer holding of the aileron got rid of all flutter at high speed.
well, ailerons on F5D:s dont "normally" suffer from flutter, look at +500km/h Swist that Henke flyes, NO flutter, cheap Hyp 09 servos , (remember, an F5D should also explode at +220mph, hehe)......and there are a lot examples of having Dymond d60 in wings of F5D:s = no flutter...

For me the titanium hitec servos are overkill... thats my opinion...

Quote:
Gears break from flutter and from overloading--sometimes just accidents on the ground If you make the plastic gears large enough to not break the servo gets too big for fitting in thin wings.

Steve
Even if I dont agree a normal good servo with nylons will break in a F5D ship, OK, bigger = better, thats why I started this thread , trying to fit GOOD sloopfree 12mm heigh servos in my Viper, just to be 200% sure ...

saving like 100 dollars and even get better servos, the cost is making custom servocovers, and maybee -1mph cost in speed due to the extra drag , but I can live with that...

Sebbe
Last edited by sebbe; Oct 09, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:40 PM
United States, AL
Joined Apr 2007
822 Posts
What servos are you using?
biskit is offline Find More Posts by biskit
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Dec 1999
7,338 Posts
Quote:
well, ailerons on F5D:s dont "normally" suffer from flutter, look at +500km/h Swist that Henke flyes, NO flutter, cheap Hyp 09 servos , (remember, an F5D should also explode at +220mph, hehe)......and there are a lot examples of having Dymond d60 in wings of F5D:s = no flutter...

For me the titanium hitec servos are overkill... thats my opinion...

Even if I dont agree a normal good servo with nylons will break in a F5D ship, OK, bigger = better, thats why I started this thread , trying to fit GOOD sloopfree 12mm heigh servos in my Viper, just to be 200% sure ...

saving like 100 dollars and even get better servos, the cost is making custom servocovers, and maybee -1mph cost in speed due to the extra drag , but I can live with that...

Sebbe
Of course you can use what ever you want---but I do recall F5D planes taping the tips of the ailerons to solve flutter problems--granted that they may have had other issues too but good strong flex free servos are a good starting point for a good flying model.

For some a 1 mph difference IS enough to make the difference

IMHO D60s are not that good for F5B or D--they are way to easy to strip gears and flex too much when under load. I have cut out quite a few from my F5B planes.

Steve
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:40 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
It will always be some not liking some stuff and the other way around..

I just want the space to put any normal small size servo up to 12mm inside, as there I have a HUGE option, Hitec, JR, Dymond and so on,,,, the price goes down also and also better stronger gears, no sloop, more power and so on much easier to choose now as the range increased from max 9mm to 12mm..

About the dymond D60, well there has been so many flying these long time in F5D:s, and no problem, but of course, you can always go up one step all the time, but Im sure even the D60 are good for the job in a normal powered F5D+ some more..

Sebbe
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:50 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Quote:
Of course you can use what ever you want---but I do recall F5D planes taping the tips of the ailerons to solve flutter problems--granted that they may have had other issues too but good strong flex free servos are a good starting point for a good flying model.
Well, if they get flutterproblems in Airframes like Viper, Swist, Jibe 2 and so on and have to tape the ailerons, Im sure the problem is somewhere else, as I said, we have PROOF of Swist manage +300mph with Hyperion 09 servos, that says all

Quote:
For some a 1 mph difference IS enough to make the difference
Steve
well if 1mph is worth so much, then the Hyp 09 servos will fit, they can take up to 300mph if done right with linkage..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what we have to thank guys like Henke, Doug, DownUnder, Slowbarless, JJ and similar for testing stuff, now we can draw some conclusions of what does work and not + we get the limits when these guys are pushing things ...
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:13 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
951 Posts
While we're talking about servos. I have never, ever been satisfied with ANY of the servos currently available for use in F5D wings. They either have a sloppy gear train, weak center, terribble accuracy, bad precision, poor centering, fast wearing gears, poorly designed electronics (cant be run on 6v? seriously?) or a combination of all of the above. (Ofcourse im refering to the range of 9mm and thinner servos out there)

That is untill the 7115's came out. Sure yes, they are expensive. But its about time we moved on from the foamy servos hyperion, dymond and mks are supplying. Finally there's a servo available that I would consider 'adequate' to be installed into a 300+kmh racer.

I am very picky when it comes to servos though and I never skimp on them. They are the most important part of the plane, followed closely by the reciever battery!

Ben
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:26 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Ben, Im sure the new hitec ones are VERY good, never said anything about that..
BUT they are expensive AND pretty heavy, not sure everyone would buy them..

As Yuri said, we have to select servos, test them, then put them in plane..

everything has a best before date, Im sure if flying often you have to exchange servos more often, metalgear maybee develope slop over time, nylongears maybee can strip, like all other stuff inside our planes, it ages, and we have to look after it when time goes by..

Also props do need to exchange after time, depending on how much you fly, for me this is a normal situation, to check the setup you are flying all the time..

what I said, was that servos like Hyp09 in strength and precsion is OK up to 300mph if done correct, we have seen this, it is not scienfiction

Im sure (maybee) te new hitecs are among the best, BUT also cost much more and are twice as heavy..

The porpuse of this thread was to get some covers for my viper, just so I can fit servos up to 12mm, this way I KNOW for sure I have many many to choose from, and Im sure a good 12mm servo is as good as the new slim hitec but much cheaper..
Then of course, not everyone wants to make mods to fit bigger servos, its up to each one..

Sebbe
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:39 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Ben, when holding one of these new hitecs with one hand, and gently twisting a big servoarm with other hand can you fell ANY sloop at all ?

Sebbe
Old Oct 10, 2012, 03:54 AM
I am actually really slow
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
951 Posts
Yeah, the hitics are heavy, but from what ive seen alot of F5D airframes could do with the extra weight to get them over 1kg.

The 09's im sure could be made to work up to 300mph but not with standard linkages, having a stronger servo holding the surfaces means you can get away with a more 'normal' linkage setup.

Hitec servos are known for a very tight gear train and these servos are no exeption.

Anyway, back on topic. What are you going to do for covers?
SlowBarless is online now Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Old Oct 10, 2012, 07:17 AM
"The Judge"
Sweden
Joined Feb 2006
5,759 Posts
Well I hope Tim will make me a pair