Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:18 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesFM View Post
Same thing happened to me, inverted harrier that got a little to low....I take flying low seriously . Gluing her back up now. Funny enough, when the rudder caught the ground I gunned it (which is probably why it ripped clean off) and ended up doing a few gentle circuits before bringing her down rudderless.
Hard luck James. I guess the rudders arent meant to be landed on...
Anyway itll be back together pronto.
I like your nice clean plane, mine is covered with mud from the flying field already.. Agg.. Oh to live somewhere warm dry and sunny.....
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 03:48 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
Not on a 48" model but here is a customers 43" SU-29 with the removable wing model.
http://youtu.be/ed6tJiBI044
That's some great flying. Is it my eyes or is that video in mirror image? can't work out if he was doing anti-torque rolls or not. That snap to hover right at the camera man was something else who ever it was did well to stay on his feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Realm View Post
Here is Jiri flying the Extra, I've always liked he's style of flying.
http://youtu.be/aFSWdeFmIGA
Another great video with great skills.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:51 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Took the extra out for its 4th pack. I also moved the CG back using my lead in the tail by about 5mm to 115 and i much prefer it this way. My go to foamie And it likes the gusty wind. Just one pack of hooling before the light dropped.

Getting the know the Telink 330 Extra Day 4 (3 min 6 sec)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 09:54 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Guys, I crashed again.
This time I was doing a blender and the elevator lost responsiveness. So I backed off the power, and it seemed to settle. Then I added some power about 6 ft off the ground and it stuck on full down, dived into the ground and ripped the UC out.
I'm glad I'm learning with a foamie and not a Balsa!
On closer examination the rod on the elevator was not tight enough in the screw linkage so perhaps it came loose.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:38 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Sorry to hear that Jimbo, looks like you are getting to grips with it though . Mine is nearly finished, hope to maiden it next weekend.

Mike
Mike Smart is online now Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Mike, no worries, easy fix, the u/c was glued back in with UHU within minutes, and it's ready for another flight. Oh and the screws on all the surfaces were retightened. My UHU Por as a threadlocker held up well.
She'll be back in the sky when it stops raining...
Let us know how the maiden goes.
J.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
United Kingdom, Cullompton
Joined Apr 2011
75 Posts
I've recently built the removable wing version of the Extravaganza. I maidened it last Sunday and have about 5 flights so far. It's not flying quite right yet though.

First of all I still have some work to do on the CG. I have measured the current CG accurately and it is at the rearmost point in the recommended range at 115mm. It still flies level with a little up elevator, however, as well as pulling to the canopy in a knife edge and needing too much forward stick for my liking when inverted. All of these things point to CG being too far forward, but as I said, it is as far back as you're supposed to go. Have others had this same experience? Any suggestions? Just keep shoving the battery back until it flies right?

Another issue is the thrust line. I thought it looked a little to the left once the motor was in and indeed it needed right rudder to fly straight. I shimmed the motor mount until it looked straight but it still needs some right rudder. I've shimmed it some more to give it some right thrust but haven't tested it yet. Has anyone else found it needs some right thrust? Horizontal thrust line is dead level which seems to work fine.

I'm sure these things can be sorted and it will be great fun. I'm already much braver at harrier flight near the ground than with my nice shiny Extreme Flight Edge 540, which is the whole idea for getting the Telink. I've never flown such a big foamy before and compared to the balsa Edge it is rather imprecise, feeling a bit like a balsa plane with very poor centring servos. I suppose this is normal. Anyway, once I get it flying better I'm looking forward to trying some moves which I don't dare try on the Edge.

Mark
mrbeacham68 is offline Find More Posts by mrbeacham68
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:24 PM
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Joined Feb 2004
156 Posts
My cg is probably a good 10-15mm behind the rear cg. It flies so much better this way. Ignore the cg location and move it back to until it flies inverted to your liking. When I roll inverted, it has a very slight pull to the canopy. However, in KE it flies way more neutral.

As for thrust, I probably have around 1 to 2 deg. of right thrust. Now in a hover, I can let go of the sticks and it will pretty much stay there with exception to torque from the motor.

Hope this helps.
noahb is offline Find More Posts by noahb
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:57 PM
United Kingdom, Cullompton
Joined Apr 2011
75 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Seems I may be on the right track.

Mark
mrbeacham68 is offline Find More Posts by mrbeacham68
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:55 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Mine is finished, 794 gms AUW. I'm going with the C of G at 120mm to start with. Maiden tomorrow hopefully.

Mike
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:54 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
2 more packs through mine again. Lovely flyer, needs more room, was a bit busy today as I gathered an audience... Anyway, prop hangs looking better now. The crack yak on 3s was getting blown about a bit in 6mph and lacked penetration (compared to calm), but the extra loved it. She harriers nicely. I added some more lead to the tail, cg is back about 120 now, flys nicer inverted now.
One thing, she seems to gather the mud more than the crack yak. Doesn't look too smart, anyone got any tips (apart from land softer..)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:06 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
One thing, she seems to gather the mud more than the crack yak. Doesn't look too smart, anyone got any tips (apart from land softer..)
Hand catch maybe ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
Great job Ido, I really like this model, very smooth, positive and locked in
Maidened this afternoon in near perfect conditions, albeit only 3 degrees C temperature.
I struggled a little with my Zippy lipos in the cold weather, but I had a couple of packs of NanoTech 25 - 50C which were an improvement. My impression is that the Telink 2217 motor is just a little underpowered, pull out from a hover is not exactly quick and it struggles to climb to the top of a largish KE loop.

I have my C of G at 120mm and I think it could go back a little bit more, but it is pretty close. My current favouite I think

Mike
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:52 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
My impression is that the Telink 2217 motor is just a little underpowered

Mike
Im surprised you find that, i find mine is plenty quick enough out of prop hangs for my thumbs.

There are some prop hangs zooms into spins on todays vid.

Telink Extra 330 SC - Prop hangs and spins (3 min 47 sec)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,029 Posts
A bit difficult to tell Jimbo from the video, I'm talking about a pure vertical climb from a static vertical prop hang. It may be the video, but most of your climb-outs seem not to be purely vertical?

Mike