348 Posts
http://www.rcyachts.org.uk/epages/St...ts/RCY-JS-rigA
flatlandsailor is offline Find More Posts by flatlandsailor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2013, 12:08 PM
United States, KS, Wichita
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
Some additional and encouraging updates... Thomas Dreyer was able to have a look at some samples of parts and the new RTS version Graupner SJ is working on. They are taking a lot of the improvements from Mike Weston's (RC Yachts UK) "Champ" custom built boats which should really improve things over previous versions... Attached is a photo. They have also shortened the rig and sail slightly....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 05:04 PM
Joined May 2011
583 Posts
Looks really good! Thanks for the update.
northernmike is offline Find More Posts by northernmike
Old Nov 20, 2013, 05:25 PM
I meant to do that....
United States, CA, Upland
Joined Dec 2005
351 Posts
Hope replacement parts for the originals will be made available here in the states soon.
crashnburned is offline Find More Posts by crashnburned
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:33 PM
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
Some additional pics... While I have no idea how soon parts will become available here in the US, it appears they are well on the way toward getting production going....
Old Nov 20, 2013, 09:37 PM
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
More...
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
The new Graupner--Graupner SJ--has opened up a new website for the USA and is looking for retailers (although you can buy from their site too). The MM (or any boats for that matter) has not yet been added, but when the new RTS goes on sale in the USA, this is where we'll likely see it first! 2014 should be a good year for the MM and the new Graupner SJ!

www.openhobby.com
Old Dec 09, 2013, 09:22 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsailor View Post
The new Graupner--Graupner SJ--has opened up a new website for the USA and is looking for retailers (although you can buy from their site too). The MM (or any boats for that matter) has not yet been added, but when the new RTS goes on sale in the USA, this is where we'll likely see it first! 2014 should be a good year for the MM and the new Graupner SJ!

www.openhobby.com
In Europe you are redirected to the German shop.

Racing MM RFH (ready for Hott) version promised for April at 276.95 euros.
expat flyer is offline Find More Posts by expat flyer
Old Dec 09, 2013, 10:06 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
2,055 Posts
Andy -

do you see the big DF65OD "push" making an impact on the MM Class growth? Just curious.

Dick
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:47 AM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick L. View Post
Andy -

do you see the big DF65OD "push" making an impact on the MM Class growth? Just curious.

Dick
I would hope there is room for both. The possibility of buying a whole fleet for a club makes both an attractive starting point. That has never happened before except for certain full size classes.

The MM may be easier to transport and perhaps more manageable for the young.
The kit form appeals to some people and encourages custom painting.
The racing structure is well established in some countries with little risk of an arms race.
It is capable of sailing anywhere - small shallow lakes even.

Where there are no such limits the DF65OD might appeal to grown ups on the basis that bigger people have bigger toys?
Will racing the OD survive the temptation to graduate to the Open RG65? Availability (lack of) should restrict such ambitions.

Initially the DF seems better value at 250 euros with radio compared to 275 euros + radio for a Racing MM RTH.
Is there a difference in running costs, spares, extras - is the DF more fragile?
Perhaps both manufacturers need to review their production methods and marketing models to explain the difference.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 12:08 PM
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
Quote:
Andy -

Dick
Right now the lack of available new boats for sale is what has slowed us down.

Also, a lot of skippers that are embracing the DF abroad are also MM skippers, and I don't see them abandoning the MM--especially if boats become available again as they are predicted to do.

We're fortunate--the MM built a loyal and substantial following prior to the problems with Graupner. We have well over 5000 skippers worldwide and over 350 here in the USA. That strength will help us get through this rough period I believe.

Perhaps in the USA the DF may pull some potential MM skippers away, but I think ultimately we'll be fine, and it will take some time for the DF to catch the Mm's popularity elsewhere. Hopefully both classes will flourish.

Andy
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2006
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat flyer View Post
In Europe you are redirected to the German shop.

Racing MM RFH (ready for Hott) version promised for April at 276.95 euros.
I came across this Hott version apparently available now in France... limited stock though...

http://www.miniplanes.fr/bateaux-rad...t-p-43612.html

http://www.fxmodelrc.com/WP-Racing-Micromagic-Hott/

Interestingly, I googled the addresses of both these "companies" and they seem to be entrances to the same plot of land from different roads.

miniplanes is a merchant for RueDuCommerce so it's offered there too... http://www.rueducommerce.fr/m/ps/mpi...BD585M15048468
sgporc is offline Find More Posts by sgporc
Old Dec 09, 2013, 04:23 PM
Toulouse
Joined Jan 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgporc View Post
I came across this Hott version apparently available now in France... limited stock though...

Interestingly, I googled the addresses of both these "companies" and they seem to be entrances to the same plot of land from different roads.

miniplanes is a merchant for RueDuCommerce so it's offered there too... http://www.rueducommerce.fr/m/ps/mpi...BD585M15048468
Interesting that the two prices are quite different!
Old Dec 09, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2008
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgporc View Post

My guess is those are leftover RTS versions made by Graupner before the sale of the company.

BTW... The HOTT radio systems are in stock (some of them anyway) on the www.openhobby.com website.
Old Dec 09, 2013, 11:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2007
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Andy -

Dick
Dick

Have to say the DF has some appeal...

I have one & much prefer the Micro Magic as an all round boat..
Quote:
Originally Posted by expat flyer View Post

The MM may be easier to transport and perhaps more manageable ...
The kit form appeals to some people and encourages custom painting.
The racing structure is well established in some countries with little risk of an arms race.
It is capable of sailing anywhere - small shallow lakes even..
The DF has it's limitations & I believe the Long Keel will see it's downfall. It's just too hard to find suitable launching areas deep enough without getting seriously wet.

The MM is a far better all round Boat...

What is holding it back at the moment is the availability of parts & the demise of Graupner..

What comes out of the mess will ultimately determine where things go from here with the MM Class worldwide.. I believe a semi-restricted class as it currently stands and/or an Open Class similar to what happens in Germany..

The One Saving Grace of the DF is the initial price.. Add the cost of Sails A B & C & it's not as attractive.. Especially as Rigs will need to be built to suit the Sails..

If you were contemplating all 3 rigs then an Open RG65 is a better option..

And as with all Classes, the success or Failure comes down to the availability of Parts to fix what gets broken.

If there is no profit in the parts then they wont be produced, which means a non-compliant boat to One Design Rules..

Not a Fan of Strict One-Manufacturer/Builder as sole provider of parts.. The Class rises & falls on the whim.. Not that there is good intentions at the moment to keep the DF up & running, but in 5 years will the same vigour prevail.. ???

For Me the Micro Magic remains the best Value for Money R/C Sailboat going around... If Only you could find one..
waboats is offline Find More Posts by waboats
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)