HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:07 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,203 Posts
More dense foam obviously doesn't help when the single joiner is the weakest link.
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raRaRa View Post
V5 and V6 have the same wing, no difference afaik. Go for the V6 or wait for the "new" Skywalker.

Wow! When is this one coming out and where can I buy one?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Jun 2012
41 Posts
The tail is already weak in the current and past Skywalkers. Why make it even weaker?
mmbbb is offline Find More Posts by mmbbb
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
depends on how well that CF boom is secured. The CF wouldnt twist or bend. But the lack of continuity in the body would increase drag a little, and I could see the tail portion catching things on landing instead of the whole plane just sliding over
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:15 PM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Jun 2012
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashdec87 View Post
depends on how well that CF boom is secured. The CF wouldnt twist or bend. But the lack of continuity in the body would increase drag a little, and I could see the tail portion catching things on landing instead of the whole plane just sliding over
Remind you, the current version also has CF boom but you all know how weak it is. If people want discontinued tail plane, there is already one (Hobbyking EPP FPV). Please, please don't make skywalker this way.
mmbbb is offline Find More Posts by mmbbb
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:22 PM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmbbb View Post
Remind you, the current version also has CF boom but you all know how weak it is. If people want discontinued tail plane, there is already one (Hobbyking EPP FPV). Please, please don't make skywalker this way.
Is it really that bad? I don't know much about the pros and cons about having just a CF rod instead of a boom.
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
Quote:
I know and the problem is that the foam around the boom flexes. The CF itself cant flex without breaking.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
This is my first flight after moving to Michigan. I was having issues with my HD camera, but the FPV footage came out well. I finally have something other than flat farm fields to fly over!

First flight in Michigan (3 min 32 sec)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:43 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,316 Posts
Quote:
The tail is already weak in the current and past Skywalkers. Why make it even weaker?
I think they're actually trying to fix the problem - that CF boom looks much thicker than the current one, so I agree with ashdec87 (Thanks for the flight vid btw), if it's nice and secure, it should be very stiff.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:24 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,089 Posts
The low tail wing could also be a problem on landing and catch in weeds, rocks and other foam rippin' things
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:39 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,457 Posts
Hey guys. How did u go about attaching the horizontal stabilizer to the vertical stabalizer? I think my kit is missing hardware.
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Hey guys. How did u go about attaching the horizontal stabilizer to the vertical stabalizer? I think my kit is missing hardware.
You get two small wooden plates and 2 screws. When you glue the plane together you should insert the wooden plate inside the vertical stabilizer and the other one on top of the horizontal stabilizer. Then you put the 2 screws in to secure it together.

Screenshot of it assembled:
[IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/z7f*7oRHFFUp5GgHZdtnUl6WnnQd3m8vAbuaoPSBunsSCuIQpt 2S2xoLWisfAqP1OAZw0LxlW8mO4OfBLxmsyyg2vRYtgdT5/2.png[/IMG]
raRaRa is offline Find More Posts by raRaRa
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:16 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Not all generations of Skywalker have the same wings.
And people *have* folded them in the air running them without reinforcements. I know
two personally.

ian
Version 5 or 6 wings?
Those are the ones I am talking about, not the early ones.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:19 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,364 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Were those pre V4? Or not on rubber bands? Must have been carrying very heavy loads!

I've pulled so many G's on my V4 it tore the fuse horizontally, wings in tact. I've been through 4 serious crashes and all that remain are the wings!
Same.
Mine have been through hell, a motor coming off, and 100 yards or so down, and I pulled up at the end to try lesson the damage, and the worst has been that the root of the entry holes for the CF tube were a little loose. I wrapped one layer of good fiber tape around the middle of the CF tube and it is snug on both again.
I use rubber bands, ones from a SIG plane, that work very well.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
Version 5 or 6 wings?
Those are the ones I am talking about, not the early ones.
Couple folks have snapped the v5 single joiner in the air.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member