HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 08:53 PM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
Now that is cool, need to fly it over Gotham City...
Does it have ailerons?, I see rudders, and elevator, but not any dihedral...
Oh- I see the dihedral in the build thread, nice work by the way. How does it fly? Wild, docile, floater, what?
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Last edited by dbacon; Jan 05, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:11 PM
GymDandy Flyer
Webb City, Missouri
Joined Apr 2004
591 Posts
Aero Bat II
See Build Log at : http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1802794
Keep Them Flying ! Your friend, Ken

Sorry, dbacon " No Ailerons " but Dihedral.
Ken Spencer is online now Find More Posts by Ken Spencer
Old Jan 06, 2013, 08:58 AM
Shelby Twp, MI
Joined May 2006
1,892 Posts
Ahh yes, the new picture shows it nicely, very cool, I should build a big one to entertain the geese that come to our lake. the other residents hate them, but I find that they come here to play, and they honk loudly to get my attention. So I comply, with my Apparition electric boat or my Capricorn foamy, and they dance and play, and when satisfied, they move on to another place, probably looking for more games and play.

I would have to make it float, so I can be right in with the geese, or they won't feel that I am doing my best for their recreation.
dbacon is offline Find More Posts by dbacon
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:35 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
P-80 Shooting Star

Even without a thrust tube this little jet flies very well! It will rise off any smooth surface w/out landing gear. Loop from a slight dive for most of the flight, and is a lot of fun to fly. Speeds are very scale like. It is also very easy to make having only parts!

Specs:
16" wingspan
Vapor Rx
Weight 21grams w/o battery 25.4 with 150mah 27.7gms w/200mah
GWS 30mm edf unit
Parkzone UMX P51 Motor produces 25gms thrust
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Jan 08, 2013, 10:05 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
20,162 Posts
Very nice

Do you have plans for this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
Even without a thrust tube this little jet flies very well! It will rise off any smooth surface w/out landing gear. Loop from a slight dive for most of the flight, and is a lot of fun to fly. Speeds are very scale like. It is also very easy to make having only parts!

Specs:
16" wingspan
Vapor Rx
Weight 21grams w/o battery 25.4 with 150mah 27.7gms w/200mah
GWS 30mm edf unit
Parkzone UMX P51 Motor produces 25gms thrust
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:02 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
Razor, That's the problem I need someone to show me how to make my line drawings into plans cause I'd really like as many people to build one of these as possible. If someone wants to take my drawings to the next level I'd appreciate it.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:08 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,542 Posts
Nice one Mutcake

Just scan your line drawings into a pdf add dimensions and I expect folks will be able to take it from there.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:54 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
Thanks Terry, will do after work today. Oh yeah nice flying videos of the mini vapor!
Keith
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:51 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Keith,

Nice Shooting Star! 6 blade rotor I imagine? What thickness foam did you use, and type? I did a 40mm using bluecore once, but it was heavy for it's time and liked to snap roll often Your 30mm has great power to weight ratio! Great job!

I'm working on learning Sketchup again. Wish me luck. Maybe someday I could do a print for you also!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:50 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
Fred, I used Great Planes Pro-Formance foam 3mm. Not Cellfoam 88 which I like better but is heavier. I usually don't like the pro-formance foam cause it's really soft and will only sand well with finer grit foam sanding blocks. But the weight savings is significant! I was surprised at having a finished airframe, rx and fan minus battery at 21.1 grams. I am pretty proficient at Sketchup but haven't been able to print without distortions (cause I don't know what I'm doing) so much for proficiency. This thing glides forever and I have crashed into the sides of the gym floor quite a bit but since the weight is so low the damage was minimal. I am drawing up plans tonight to scan and attach. If all goes well I will get a video soon.

Oh yeah, it's the 6 blade rotor.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:44 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Keith,

Thanks. I never used or even touched Por-Formance foam but I was also amazed at your measuerd weight. I am sure it helps having that AR6400 brick, but still amazing. Thanks for the info on the foam and fans for sure. I bought some of those P-51 motors but have yet to marry them to an actual fan setup. I get off on tangents you see......

I too am amazed how light arcraft suffer little damage when they hit things. I think I am going to try Dave Reap's printing of sketchup to cutepdf file, then play with it using acrobat reader for actual paper printing. I have also been trying out Open Office lately because it can open pdf, and save to pdf, and may have some alternate potential.

Carry on and good to see some more of your designs and magic at work.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:28 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,796 Posts
my preference at the moment is to use sketchup for any line drawings..then drop a pdf with cute pdf...
however with multi page printouts I always have problems lining up the pages of print, trimming and taping, so I put the pdf's through scaleandtile3 which puts a grid on them..the faint grid makes it easy to line up and fix your pages together .....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1560478&page=3 for info
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:18 PM
Our God's Alive
United States, NE, Bennet
Joined Mar 2011
306 Posts
Here is one I made in 20 minutes, it flies great. It can fly fast, or slow down nicely in a harrier.

Name: DSCN7479.jpg
Views: 98
Size: 195.5 KB
Description:

Name: DSCN7480.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 148.7 KB
Description:
100mph is offline Find More Posts by 100mph
Old Jan 09, 2013, 12:34 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
Nice plane 100mph! I bet that would look fantastic with Color!
Old Jan 09, 2013, 03:43 PM
Our God's Alive
United States, NE, Bennet
Joined Mar 2011
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTCAKE View Post
Nice plane 100mph! I bet that would look fantastic with Color!

Added some color, I also found out you can do a vertical takeoff.

Name: DSCN7481.jpg
Views: 77
Size: 202.1 KB
Description:

Name: DSCN7483.jpg
Views: 71
Size: 202.7 KB
Description:
100mph is offline Find More Posts by 100mph