New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:45 AM
Find More Posts by iottand
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
Hi Gilles

the timer is 512
maybe I have to give a signal to pin 12 on pc LPT? ( manual control temp)
iottand is offline Find More Posts by iottand
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2016, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by gm.cnc
France
Joined Feb 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iottand View Post
Hi Gilles

the timer is 512
maybe I have to give a signal to pin 12 on pc LPT? ( manual control temp)
ok, now check that Motor On works. I understand that you connected pin 17 and 1. But the polarity of the signal may be the problem.

If you go to the Zero arc dialog and click on one arrow, motor on will be activated and stay for some time. During that time, you can't move the motor by hand, if they are powered.

Gilles
gm.cnc is offline Find More Posts by gm.cnc
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:08 PM
Find More Posts by danfield
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Matney View Post
Ok I think I know what to do. Now comes the hard part. I like to add 1/8" to the flat part so I have some to cut after it is in the mold.
Look at the 1 on the top. In the pdf file
Ward's method should work just fine as would popping into CAD, draw a line at center and erase the rest, DXF or Profscan it back into a .dat file. But I thought I would offer up a trick or lie to GMFC.

1. This will take longer to explain that do. :-)
2. Setup your project as normal. Wing Profile box checked, not doing a shape here. Different tip/airfoil if you like, what ever your would do for your project.
3. Now set Basic Height to 0 Zero, both root and tip if your tip is different. Look at the Main Screen, zero splits the top half from the bottom. GMFC won't cut this as is as the wire would have to go below the table, fix is coming.
4. Another Lie to GMFC. in Project enter a LE Margin. This should be considerably more than the piece of foam in front of the LE, we are going to select the ICON, Horizontal LE Cut and all we want is some time. So if you have say 10 mm's of extra foam in front of where LE will be, then make the LE Margin, 30 or 40 or 60 if you like, we just want the wire to come out of the front and give us some time before it comes back to cut the bottom.
5. When the wire comes out the front of the block....... You could pause, remove the foam and then continue and let GMFC cut some air or if you are quick and you entered a big enough LE margin, you could get the foam out of the way.
5 A - don't forget to select the Horizontal LE Cut ICON, on the Main Screen, the line in front of the LE will change to Red.

6. Off to Panel Cut.... as mentioned GMFC will show an error msg, in "Y". Move "y" some amount. Ah,,,, we lie to GMFC again with the "YO" offset.
7. So we need a spacer, some MDF maybe, or you could cut a piece of foam , anything to raise the actual block a known amount and I think this will have to be greater than the bottom half or your project. A huge root with a thick symmetrical airfoil could be quite thick. A flat bottom airfoil, well ok but you will need to to top as well.

Lets say a piece of 3/4" MDF will work for this project, call it 19 mm's Plus Kevin you want an extra 1/8", call it 3 mm's. In "YO" offset enter 22mm's. GMFC's error msg should go away and you will be able to cut.... IF the 3/4" was not enough, or in the case of the first error msg, GMFC is telling you just how high your spacer should be, you just need something a bit greater plus any extra you want.

8. All the other usual stuff, verify your cut screen, correct foam, right wing , top first all the stuff you would check anyway.

9, Happy cutting,, Esc to pause or pull the foam out of the way when the wire exits the front.
10. You will have to manually trim your core, LE and TE where you want. I guess if you got tricky and the spacer was either Foam or if wood then it can't be sticking out past the LE or the TE and I think you could then select Trim after cutting, don't know about that one.

11. Then there's the bottom... For this to work, I think you could just go to Project and select Inverse and go again. Or if truly symmetrical, cut another.

So this should be pretty easy, as most of it you might already be doing depending on your project. I have used sort of this method to make an 8 panel Elliptical Mold
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Old Feb 08, 2016, 03:20 PM
Find More Posts by danfield
Fossilator
Fullerton, CA
Joined Nov 2004
1,839 Posts
Project setup

Adding a pic. Top is just a sym. and the bottom is a Clark Y just to show Zero Basic height finds center.
danfield is offline Find More Posts by danfield
Old Feb 09, 2016, 06:18 AM
Find More Posts by iottand
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
good morning,
I have not had much time to do further checks but today without making changes I turned on the computer and motors run. probably to any modification you need a restart of the PC. as soon as possible you will verify proper operation.
  thanks to those who tried to help me.
PS a question.
some use the timer 500 and other 250 some advice? logically the 250 is better
iottand is offline Find More Posts by iottand
Old Feb 09, 2016, 10:44 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iottand View Post
good morning,
I have not had much time to do further checks but today without making changes I turned on the computer and motors run. probably to any modification you need a restart of the PC. as soon as possible you will verify proper operation.
  thanks to those who tried to help me.
PS a question.
some use the timer 500 and other 250 some advice? logically the 250 is better
Higher frequency the better. 10Khz (100) seems a good value for a PC timer. If you go higher, you get to much jitter. That why the GGC is better at high frequencies.

Gilles
Old Feb 17, 2016, 04:05 AM
Find More Posts by HotAir2
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
224 Posts
I'm stuck trying to cut my rudder

I have a file (attached) of the rudder I want to cut.

I can't figure out how to 'fix' it as it starts in the right place, goes to the start of the curve, then backtracks and ruins my cut.

I've spent hours trying to make this work. Can someone please help?

I make rudders like this all the time (round front edge).

Thanks, Neal
HotAir2 is offline Find More Posts by HotAir2
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:01 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotAir2 View Post
I have a file (attached) of the rudder I want to cut.

I can't figure out how to 'fix' it as it starts in the right place, goes to the start of the curve, then backtracks and ruins my cut.

I've spent hours trying to make this work. Can someone please help?

I make rudders like this all the time (round front edge).

Thanks, Neal
Hi Neal,

This is due to a bad numbering of the points. Have you designed the shape using autocad? if so, you should merge all points into a polyline.

Gilles
Old Feb 17, 2016, 07:04 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm.cnc View Post
Hi Neal,

This is due to a bad numbering of the points. Have you designed the shape using autocad? if so, you should merge all points into a polyline.

Gilles
Here are two dxf files that should work.

Gilles
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:19 AM
Find More Posts by danielphantom
Once in a lifetime
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jan 2009
660 Posts
I wonder if there is an easy answer to this predicament.

I am trying to cut out a canopy in foam to later fiberglass. I'm using devfoam and draw a canopy cross section with sharp vertexes at the bottom corners. I save it as a DXF file and then import it into gmfc.

The sharp vertices on the bottom end up completely rounded . Instead of looking like a u shaped staple, it looks just like a horseshoe. What happened to my sharp vertices?

Any suggestions would be great,

I'll try to take some screen shots if I haven't explained this well enough.

Daniel
danielphantom is online now Find More Posts by danielphantom
Old Feb 17, 2016, 10:31 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielphantom View Post
I wonder if there is an easy answer to this predicament.

I am trying to cut out a canopy in foam to later fiberglass. I'm using devfoam and draw a canopy cross section with sharp vertexes at the bottom corners. I save it as a DXF file and then import it into gmfc.

The sharp vertices on the bottom end up completely rounded . Instead of looking like a u shaped staple, it looks just like a horseshoe. What happened to my sharp vertices?

Any suggestions would be great,

I'll try to take some screen shots if I haven't explained this well enough.

Daniel
Please send the .cnc project. It will be easier.

Gilles
Old Feb 17, 2016, 11:40 AM
France
Joined Feb 2006
310 Posts
Bagging a wing with Airex

Hi Guys,

Have a look to my latest post, if you are interested in building light wings:
http://gmfcsoft.fr/blog/?p=1500

The post is in French, but should be easily translated using Google.

Gilles
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:08 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
224 Posts
Hi Gilles.

Yes, I did use AutoCAD. I drew a circle, then two tangent lines, then 'cut' out the part of the circle that I didn't need. Yes it turned it into a polyline, but I couldn't figure out how to get it to number the points.

Thanks, Neal
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:09 PM
Neal
Christchurch, NZ
Joined Nov 2004
224 Posts
Hi Daniel.
The rounded bottom corners you are talking about... you haven't selected 'wing profile' in your panel parameters have you?
Old Feb 17, 2016, 12:12 PM
Find More Posts by danielphantom
Once in a lifetime
USA, CA, Temecula
Joined Jan 2009
660 Posts
Ill ck. Generally when importing the DXF file it automatically comes into the project screen with airfoil unchecked.
danielphantom is online now Find More Posts by danielphantom