HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
Camas, WA
Joined Nov 2002
120 Posts
part throttle assigned to a switch

I need to program an F5B glider so that I can self launch at part throttle. The motor is on-off using the trainer switch. If I program the plane as acro and use idle down, it will only allow about 25% power. This is not enough. I need about 50% to be safe. Futaba allows motor to motor p-mix which does the trick. Aurora does not allow this. Any suggestions please.
Paint Man is offline Find More Posts by Paint Man
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Oct 2008
473 Posts
Hi, check this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Man View Post
I need to program an F5B glider so that I can self launch at part throttle. The motor is on-off using the trainer switch. If I program the plane as acro and use idle down, it will only allow about 25% power. This is not enough. I need about 50% to be safe. Futaba allows motor to motor p-mix which does the trick. Aurora does not allow this. Any suggestions please.
miche is offline Find More Posts by miche
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumixmd View Post
Yeah, thanks Alan. I got that after I fried the received. In the field didn't have access to internet except manual.
How about the second part of the questions. If my receiver is not powered from SPC, why I do see 10v on display instead of 5?
Thank you
Was answered:
"Orientation of SPC plug must be correct or transceiver will not work, photo Optima 7 & connection attached.
As the plug supplied is keyed, it fits one way only except for an Optima 6 Lite where the key way
can be pushed hard under the cover - the lite cover is pre-printed with pinouts as pictured in above link.
. If plug is replaced with a reversed power supply and a separate power supply to the servo bus,
telemetry may display combined voltage and overall operation will be effected."

Check the SPC Plug is wired and inserted correctly as per the photos supplied.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:12 PM
Hitec/Multiplex USA
Poway, California, United States
Joined Sep 2000
4,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paint Man View Post
You could try assigning an AUX channel to a switch and then P-mixing it.

Mike.
MikeMayberry is offline Find More Posts by MikeMayberry
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superinstaller View Post
Anyone have their A9 repaired after lockout? I had a foam trainer fly off. W/ the prop a spinnin! After about 10 seconds it unlocked in Time to land 80 ft up in a pine. It seems like the CPU was frozen temporarally because the motor was still spinning. I sent it in to get it looked at.. I hope its an easy fix and not an intermittent problem.
Was failsafe set? and of interest, how was the range test before the flight,
distance and all surfaces, switches tested AOK?
Could well have been that just the servo froze due to overheated BEC:
Electronic Speed Control - Why BEC and LVC cause most EP RX problems[/url]

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:33 PM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Was answered:
"Orientation of SPC plug must be correct or transceiver will not work, photo Optima 7 & connection attached.
As the plug supplied is keyed, it fits one way only except for an Optima 6 Lite where the key way
can be pushed hard under the cover - the lite cover is pre-printed with pinouts as pictured in above link.
. If plug is replaced with a reversed power supply and a separate power supply to the servo bus,
telemetry may display combined voltage and overall operation will be effected."

Check the SPC Plug is wired and inserted correctly as per the photos supplied.

Alan T.
thank you for answer. But you missed that my Optima9 was not powered from SPC anymore, only from ESC BEC to Servo Bus. That normally shows 5v on telemetry - I had 10v.

Solved the problem: BEC was faulty. cannot imagine how all my servos and receiver survived 10v supply for several flights.
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:54 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Aug 2011
370 Posts
Hi guys!
Need some help here. Ill keep it simple as possible
1) how can I turn the left slider off? I have two flaps
2 ) I assigned channel 4 and 5 for thrust vector left and right (channel is assigned as flap)
3) made a mix to switch thrust vector on/off and to mix with elevator but then one was reversed. After reversing I noticed when slider is moved I get both thrust vectors in different directions !!!!
I know I must have done something wrong but I am burnt out sitting for the last 4 hours trying to sort this out. I even came to the point where I tried looking for a way to sub trim my canards while connected on y harness on elevons*I know its never gonna happen &$^#^@^@
Thanks guys.
Torchy is offline Find More Posts by Torchy
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:02 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
623 Posts
Ok tech from Hired called me today no issues found with the xmi
tter. He said it could have been a brown out even w the prop still spinning i didnt know that. he said sometimes using the SBC port can help fix that. Guess ill go back to using them.
superinstaller is offline Find More Posts by superinstaller
Last edited by superinstaller; Oct 25, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:31 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Using SPC with Parallel Lipos

After doing a search on the above, & reading the referral to "Parallel Battery Operation = Reliability & More Flight Time" by Red Scholefield, I think that what I want to do is possible. But to be sure . . . . .

I'm slowly converting all of my electrics to using the SPC connection, but so far it has been my smaller ones with a single Lipo on board. With larger A/C, I previously used a separate on board RX battery (a small Nicad) & then often connected two same cell count Lipos (3S) in parallel to increase the capacity (so I could also use the same Lipos individually for my smaller A/C as well). Now I want to eliminate the RX battery & connect the SPC to my parallel Lipos.

The question is should I only connect the wires to the SPC port after my parallel connection to the Lipos, or does it make any difference if I tap into the battery wire of either battery before the parallel connection. I use a Deans T plug parallel adapter & also use a Deans adapter to connect to the SPC port. Hope this makes sense! Thanks,

Jed
jedorme is offline Find More Posts by jedorme
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
United States, SC, Greer
Joined May 2006
623 Posts
I think I saw a warning on tapping one of two Batts for spc use, I could be wrong!?
superinstaller is offline Find More Posts by superinstaller
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:52 PM
Build to Fly? FLY to BUILD!
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Nov 2009
1,104 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedorme View Post
After doing a search on the above, & reading the referral to "Parallel Battery Operation = Reliability & More Flight Time" by Red Scholefield, I think that what I want to do is possible. But to be sure . . . . .

I'm slowly converting all of my electrics to using the SPC connection, but so far it has been my smaller ones with a single Lipo on board. With larger A/C, I previously used a separate on board RX battery (a small Nicad) & then often connected two same cell count Lipos (3S) in parallel to increase the capacity (so I could also use the same Lipos individually for my smaller A/C as well). Now I want to eliminate the RX battery & connect the SPC to my parallel Lipos.

The question is should I only connect the wires to the SPC port after my parallel connection to the Lipos, or does it make any difference if I tap into the battery wire of either battery before the parallel connection. I use a Deans T plug parallel adapter & also use a Deans adapter to connect to the SPC port. Hope this makes sense! Thanks,

Jed
It doesn't matter where you tap in, voltage will be the same everywhere. That being said, it may be most convenient to tap in on the two wires leading directly into the ESC, then you won't have to worry about your SPC connector when switching /moving around the batteries.
Legot is offline Find More Posts by Legot
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:53 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
I think I saw a warning on tapping one of two Batts for spc use, I could be wrong!?
I think I saw that as well but recall it was dealing with a series connection. But like you, I could be wrong!

Jed
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
Joined Jul 2009
303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
It doesn't matter where you tap in, voltage will be the same everywhere. That being said, it may be most convenient to tap in on the two wires leading directly into the ESC, then you won't have to worry about your SPC connector when switching /moving around the batteries.
That was kind of my initial thinking also. And because I really only understand electrical behavior if I think of it like plumbing with water instead of volts & amps, it also seemed that maybe by making the connection after the parallel hookup, I would have some redundancy in the remote case of a failure of one battery. But as noted, I could also be wrong about that!

Jed
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:11 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Ok tech from Hired called me today no issues found with the clutter.
He said it could have been a brown out even w the prop still spinning i didnt know that.
he said sometimes using the SBC port can help fix that. Guess ill go back to using them.
Did you miss post #2505 above?
The ESC could still have been alive and prop spinning but your servo not working because the BEC had overheated
- many blame a lockout/brownout/Tx/RX problem when the BEC causes majority of problems.
- If fail safe had been set, it may well not have actuated as only servo may not have had enough power.

Alan T.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:23 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Supplementary Power Connection: SPC Connections

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legot View Post
Quote:
I think I saw that as well but recall it was dealing with a series connection. But like you, I could be wrong! Jed
Quote:
That was kind of my initial thinking also. And because I really only understand electrical behavior if I think of it like plumbing with water instead of volts & amps, it also seemed that maybe by making the connection after the parallel hookup, I would have some redundancy in the remote case of a failure of one battery. But as noted, I could also be wrong about that! Jed
. Optima Transceiver (RX) - SPC connection & Lead FAQ for EP & GP models.
Low & High Voltage setup, Current Draw/Amps - Warning: Never use Balance Taps - Video

extract section 10:
". HTS-SS BLUE Sensor Station - Manual & Pictorial "How To" Connect HTS-Volt Sensor to Battery Lead.
WARNING! Be careful when using the SPC port and using 2 lipos in series with one connected to the SPC port,
How you hook them up is IMPORTANT! It can BLOW the RX if you do it wrong.

If SPC is powered from the Lipo that is plugged into the positive side of your Series harness it causes a short.
It’s the same concept in charging two lipo’s in series with a lipo charger and putting the balancing tabs in the wrong plugs.

refer Video to be viewed in conjunction with description and warnings pages 28-30
[It has been suggested that by using the balancing tap from the Lipo,
users could power the SPC with the two outside wires which are the full voltage of the Pack
up to 8S and have one cable that can be used for all power packs with same tap - this is most unwise as
the Balance Tap Leads Are Weak at the battery and a prime source of failure Leads Breaking and Loss Of Control
"

. Optima Transceiver (RX) - EP Models Use SPC Port for RX Power Supply (BEC only is unreliable) & correct Battery Telemetry.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links