HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2006, 06:54 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Discussion
Evolution Gas Engine Info?

Does anyone here know who makes the Evolution 45GX and 58GX gas engines sold by Horizon Hobby? Also can you provide a link to the manufacturers website?

If anyone is flying the 58GX, I would like to know how you like it, your assesment of the pro's and con's of the engine, etc.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Seems there isn't a lot written about these yet, and it's difficult to get any hands-on assessment of them. On paper they sound like outstanding engines, especially the 58GX.

Their spec's say they will drive a larger prop, (26X10), than most other engines in their class. They also are rated for a very low minumum RPM, (1000), so should idle very slowly, and are light for their power output.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2006, 07:00 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
They are more or less exact twins of the MVVS engines. I have both the 45 gx and the 58 GX. I have the 58 GX on my 1/4 scale pattywagstaff extra. It is an awesoem engine. Im swinging a 23x10 3 bladed prop on it. I cant tell you exactly how fast its spinning it, but it gives the extra unlimited+ vertical performance. It is incredibly light for its power. So far, I havent had any bad experiences with either of these engines. Ive tried both of them on the Extra, and they both mounted easily, and both gave great performance... I would reccomend them both, for any applciation where you need a powerful engine, but need to keep it light.
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Mar 05, 2006, 07:16 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Blizzard, Thanks!!

Wow, that was a quick response!

Your information makes me feel better. I definitely think one of these is in my future. Propably overkill for the Cub, but I want to swing a scale size prop, and this is about the only one I know of that will do it.

The limited amount of info I've read by users of these has been all positive.

Thanks Again!

AmpAce
Old Mar 05, 2006, 08:34 PM
In Massive Debt
Northampton Massachussetts
Joined Jun 2005
2,001 Posts
Which Cub are you planning on putting one of these engines in?
blizzardwarrior7 is offline Find More Posts by blizzardwarrior7
Old Mar 05, 2006, 10:30 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Sorry 'bout that! I thought I had mentioned that in my first post, but obviously I didn't. Just another senior moment I guess.

My next large dream project is to build a Balsa USA 1/3 scale Super Cub, and keep it as scale as I reasonably can. This would involve turning approximately a 26 inch prop, and the 58GX is the only engine in this weight class that I know of, that is rated for that size prop. I think this engine is probably much more than needed for Super Cub-like performance, but I can always go easy on the throttle.

The BUSA Super Cup is supposed to weigh between 25 and 35 pounds, ready to fly, and has a 3051 sq. inch wing area. Recommended engines are 2 to 4 cubic inches, or around 50 cc. I would like to keep the engine weight as low as reasonable, and still have the ability to turn a scale size prop.

What do you think?

Thanks!

AmpAce
Old Mar 07, 2006, 12:05 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
I've found some more spec's for the equivalent MVVS engines, and the 58 is rated all over the place, (from 6.5 to 9.5) for horsepower. I suspect different exhaust systems make quite a difference in power output with this engine.

I also might consider a 45GX for the Super Cub. Probably would have plenty of power to fly it, but I'm not sure about it's ability to turn a 26" prop. Horizon says it could probably handle a 26 X 6 or even a 26 X 8. It is rated for a 24 X 10 maximum. The 6 inch pitch should be plenty for the Super Cub, as it's not a fast airplane.

According to Balsa USA, I may need the weight of the larger engine in the nose to balance the Super Cub, though. I just hate adding lead to an airplane to get it balanced. If more nose weight is needed, it's better to have something up there that makes more power. One can always go easy on the throttle.

Any more opinions/experience with these engines?

AmpAce
Old Jul 29, 2006, 03:36 AM
Joined Jul 2006
4 Posts
I want to know who makes the Evolution 45GX engines sold by Horizon Hobby also,but who know?
seahawker is offline Find More Posts by seahawker
Old Jul 29, 2006, 01:13 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
www.mvvs.cz is the manufacture. A lot of info on RCU but I would recommend contacting Pe at www.mvvs-nl.com and buy a MVVS from him. You'll save close to $100 and have the original motor. They did make some differences when they rebadged to evolution.
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions