SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 09, 2001, 05:21 PM
eastern CT
Joined Nov 2000
83 Posts
picostick motor

What motor(ie pinion)comes with the GWS picostick.Does the replacement motor from Balsa Products(6$) come with a plug?THanks Keith
johnrip is offline Find More Posts by johnrip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2001, 05:58 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Kieth,
The stik comes with the DX-A motor. The replacements from balsa products have the wires and connector. The last time I checked, they were out of the $6 standard motors. They did have the $10 carbon brush motor, which is a direct replacement, and is a better motor. If you order new motors, you should order a heat sink. At only a dollar, it is cheap insurance.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Jul 09, 2001, 07:31 PM
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Joined Oct 2000
324 Posts
People have been reporting lower power with the new carbon brushed motors (weaker magnets). Just something to keep in mind.
Mikey_Flies is offline Find More Posts by Mikey_Flies
Old Jul 10, 2001, 02:13 AM
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
I have flown both the carbon, and non-carbon in my Tiger Moth and can't see any performance difference. The carbon brush version is supposed to last longer.

Jeff
Old Jul 10, 2001, 09:38 AM
Registered Electron User
Ithaca, New York, USA
Joined Jun 2001
357 Posts
I get about 500 rpm more with the carbon brushed motor than the standard motor on a Cox viper prop and 6 NiCd 270mAh cells.

I removed the gray endbell from a deluxe motor and put it on a standard motor which has stronger magnets. I get about the same performance as the deluxe motor with "weaker" magnets. It's not what I expected and I would like to understand what's going on. I notice what appears to be a timing mark on the case and endbell and they are a different positions on the two motors. I suspect this has something to do with it.

CharlieS
CharlieS is offline Find More Posts by CharlieS
Old Jul 10, 2001, 12:10 PM
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,701 Posts
Just because the non-carbon motor has a more pronounced ratcheting action, I don't beleive you can assume that it is because the magnets are stronger. There are many other possible explanations. I think CharlieS is right, that there is a timing difference, and swapping magnets between the two will not necessarily improve performance.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 10:27 PM
Joined Jul 2001
158 Posts
Just to let you know about the ratcheting effect on the stock motor- I had it bad when I had an esc designed with a low frequency
generator. It really shook at 1/2 power setting. I replaced it with a Dymond
D05 esc that runs the motor at 3Khz and now it runs smooth through out the entire power setting range.
tinsink is offline Find More Posts by tinsink
Old Jul 11, 2001, 02:48 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
the older type motor has wet magnets this will give you more power in the long run as the magnets get hot they temp become weaker if they get tooo hot you degrade them faster the magnet is going to loose performance
over a period of time.. the wet magnets will hold strong longer and will give more power as you continue to fly out all your charged packs..most of us tend to fly without giving the motor time to cool off..havent we all notice the planes performance is not the same as the very first flight on a cold motor?? 500 rpm more what about the rpms after the motor has ran for 6mins... hummm i guess you would have to have two well broken in motors with equal wear ... if these motors are timed the comutators on the armature should be advanced forward in relation to the coil it feeds on the rotor. the magnet is 360deg all around the armature....so no break or gap in the field as in most motors... so when the erm enbell is ahhhhhh advanced. in erm relation to the magnet..one normally had two seprate magnetic fields to go by when setting up there degree of offset... sooo someone get on the horn and get the rep from gws to give us the lowdown... i think they tossed out the wet magnets to help offset the cost of adding the new carbon brushes.....welps there muh two cents said........
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER