HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by quad12345, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 03, 2013, 09:11 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
I worked full time at 14 years old
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2013, 12:46 AM
Chino Renegade oh-gee, yo
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Feb 2008
2,578 Posts
Trader Rating: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy96 View Post
Jesus, I'm 16 years old and although it would be a lie to say that I haven't been helped by the kindness of friends and family, I rely on my own means to buy stuff. It honestly would embarrass me to beg and I would much rather have a peice of junk plane that I PAYED FOR MYSELF than a brand new plane that I would have to beg for. Honestly if you wre THAT interested in the hobby you would be motivated enough to make it happen on your own accord. Mow some lawns, save some allowance and get off the computer. As a new member of the forum I know these guys are more than willing to help but to come out of the gates begging for freebies never helped anyone
This /\ +1...... the term "sweat equity" is an xlnt one in this case.
I teach and have taught kids to fly RC and none had to "beg" since they worked for their spot to fly.
There's ALWAYS something for a kid to do to make a little coin, just gotta be willing to hustle
--Ray
Wrench66 is online now Find More Posts by Wrench66
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:42 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,275 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrmbrnr View Post
Dude, there's no call to be mean to the kid. Plus this is the wrong forum for political bloviations.
Lol "the KID" is probably 30+ years old

And IF I accidently made a "bloviation" ... I am sure I have a medical condition that caused it
<<<EDITED for young eyes>>>

Peace out
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Last edited by Weed89; Oct 04, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2013, 01:43 PM
I can put anything here?
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Aug 2009
565 Posts
Trader Rating: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
Lol "the KID" is probably 30+ years old

And IF I accidently made a "bloviation" ... I am sure I have a medical condition that caused it.
But fear not .... SOON my Obama-care will cure it.

P.S. thanks for your contribution to my health care ... go heal the rest of the planet now.

Peace out
If you want to complain about politics theres an offtopic forum for that. Otherwise just keep it locked away.
sgtcat09 is offline Find More Posts by sgtcat09
Old Oct 04, 2013, 02:35 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,965 Posts
Trader Rating: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcat09 View Post
If you want to complain about politics theres an offtopic forum for that. Otherwise just keep it locked away.
Ditto...
punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2013, 03:30 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So I guess I now should hold on to all my expensive and un used RC gear, this guy can then save up his own money and just buy the stuff/ Sure would save me shipping expense's
Old Oct 04, 2013, 04:39 PM
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Oct 2013
15 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
I am only 14 and I don't beg. One guy on here is sending me a receiver, but I didn't ask for it, he just saw that I needed one and is doing it. My uncle is in bad health with his leg and hip, and he is giving me his old quad and a couple of airplanes. I bought one at a garage sale. I mow lawns, clean up places, wash cars and stuff like that. I also play football and in the band. You don't have to beg dude. Just think of how to make a buck and work like I do. Don't beg, that's just sad dude. I will soon have a cessna ready to fly and my uncle says the quad is pretty easy and i can fly it in the yard.
bugedout is offline Find More Posts by bugedout
Old Oct 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
AMA 506547
United States, CA, North Highlands
Joined Sep 2004
8,965 Posts
Trader Rating: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugedout View Post
I am only 14 and I don't beg. One guy on here is sending me a receiver, but I didn't ask for it, he just saw that I needed one and is doing it. My uncle is in bad health with his leg and hip, and he is giving me his old quad and a couple of airplanes. I bought one at a garage sale. I mow lawns, clean up places, wash cars and stuff like that. I also play football and in the band. You don't have to beg dude. Just think of how to make a buck and work like I do. Don't beg, that's just sad dude. I will soon have a cessna ready to fly and my uncle says the quad is pretty easy and i can fly it in the yard.
Awesome, just awesome...

punkindrublik is online now Find More Posts by punkindrublik
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2013, 05:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Awesome, just awesome...

Somebody send this poor guy a $500.00 NAZA quad!
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:17 PM
Insert witty coment here!!
United States, UT, Tooele
Joined Jan 2013
99 Posts
Im sorry kid this is pathetic, I understand that you want a new glisteng shining plane. But begging for it isn't going to get you anywhere. Im 15 and work akl the time at my dads mechanic shop, I mow the lawns scrub the bays clean the inside and work on cars. And I love it, there is nothing else like buying something with your OWN money. I have a couple planes a nice transmitter, but you know what I bought them all. What im trying to basically say is find some work, save your money, and buy whatever you need or want to buy.
fast15 is offline Find More Posts by fast15
Old Oct 04, 2013, 08:07 PM
United States, FL, Hastings
Joined May 2013
93 Posts
Trader Rating: 7
Sweat equity really is how I got into RC. I studied every book I could about RC at the library when I was 9 or 10 (which wasn't many), and read every old magazine I could find, as they had a subscription to Model Airplane News. I spent hours there.
See, we didn't really have a pot to piss in during that time as a kid, as my father had just switched jobs, and my mother had to go back to work to make ends meet.
During that time, my parents would send me and my brother to my grandparents house every summer, and we'd work for my grandfather. He had 60 acres, so we'd get on the tractor and mow, or help him in his shop, work on and restore cars with him, etc, from sun up to sun down. We'd also travel with them frequently ( as my parents could never afford to take us on any sort of vacations), but the rest of the time, we really did work like dogs. And at the end of every summer, he'd give us a few bucks for our hard work. Thinking back, it really was super generous of him, as I really would work for him for free because he's family.
Well, a few years after really getting enamored with RC, my parents were able to scrape the money together for my first transmitter. It was a four channel Futaba Conquest, that now sits on my work table, and is one of my prized possessions to this day. I still don't know to this day how they were able to afford it then.
Then the previous summer, after busting my ass for my grandfather, he brought me down to the hobby shop and instead of paying me for that summer, he asked if I'd like to make a deal with him. If I came up the next summer and worked just as hard as I had done that year, he would get me an airplane. Well, hanging from the ceiling was my entry into RC flying. He bought me an old abused Sig trainer with an OS 40 four stroke in it. It was PERFECT!
That winter was spent getting the plane airworthy, installing my flight gear, setting it up, and learning all I could about 4 strokes and how to run them. By the previous summer I was flying. STILL have that plane nearly 20 years later (although the fuse was eaten by mice when it was in storage).
Oddly enough, the next summer, one of my Grandfather's friends saw what I was up to, and asked me to build an old Airtronics electric glider for him that had an old Hitec Challenger AM radio as part of the package. He said he'd pay me for my work, so it was on. He had me build it for him under the pretext that he wanted to learn how to fly. I POURED my heart and soul into that build and it turned out great. When I was done, I flew it for him a few times to show it was airworthy. At the end of that day he simply said "It's yours."
To this day, I still think about those early days, and the work ethic installed into me by those experiences. Just something to think about.
Condor84 is offline Find More Posts by Condor84
Closed Thread