SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: Will this RC Harrier jet ever be built or work?
I think it will work. I have 20$ to burn so here you go. 8 13.56%
I think it will work but you don't have the skills to do it so no $ for you. 4 6.78%
I would help with sponsorship but your plane kind of looks like crap. 4 6.78%
LOL another dead Harrier thread! Nice try loser. Get a job and buy your own damn stuff. 43 72.88%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Thanks for the C rating info. Sound like I'll have to go with at least a 4000mah battery in the 25 to 30C area for testing with the cheep lipos, then upgrade to a ThunderPower pack for the 5000 in the 25c area since they seam to be a little lighter and handle better at a lower C rating.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
...or go with a non-VTOL version first and get that flying before you go full blast on a transitioning VTOL...
This ship is going to have gyros. Gyros will make it nice and stabilized by adding stabilization to the wings and elevators automatically.

Still trying to decide how I want to control it in forward flight. Ironically that seams like it's going to be the most difficult part. Wanted to go with just the all moving tail surfaces but this bird is so light it might just twist the tail right off. Don't really want to add ailerons due to the extra weight of the servos. The dual linkage thing would work good where the ailerons are connected to the elevator so they act as one, but there is no easy way to do that without the rods being outside the fuselage which won't look to good.

We are running out of time though for sponsors so act now. The new movie Resident Evil Retribution will be out soon and I don't want to miss it.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 04, 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 10:37 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamFactory View Post
What about a Turnigy 6XS...
Took a closer look at it and it looks like its top right switch, left switch if looking at the TX, might be a 3 position switch. If it is and it has expo then we are good to go.

If it doesn't have expo then a 9X or the new FlySky FS-T6 would be the next best bet for expo and a three position switch. The FS-T6 has expo but not a 3 position switch. It does have knobs though which can easily be replaced by a 3 position switch.

So the next few sponsors will determine if I get an expo radio and popcorn and a soda with my movie
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 06, 2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:00 PM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
if you don't know what C rating on a battery is, i think you're not ready to attempt VTOL at all.

If you following the VTOL forum at all, only a few people succeed at VTOL with propeller plane. Ducted fan is 10 times harder in my opinion due to the low thrust, low throttle respond time.

And i think it is much more complicated than to just have a 6CH TX, A few gyros to make a plane Take off vertically, transition to forward fly and land vertically.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old Sep 06, 2012, 11:49 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,326 Posts
Just noticed your thread and love seeing it over here . No RC funds left for me for the rest of the year ( bought a new bike) but i'll enjoy following along . Cant wait to see it progress , another great Vtol
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 07, 2012, 03:16 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StewieRC View Post
...And I think it is much more complicated than to just have a 6CH TX and a few gyros to make a plane take off vertically, transition to forward fly, and land vertically.
+1

So very correct.

Creating a truly functional Harrier will remain one of the Holy Grails of RC modeling. The degree of difficulty of such an undertaking cannot be overstated.

Google variations of "RC Harrier". You won't get much:

This gasser sort of worked, after years of development. Emphasis here is on "years". Read the text. It took him 19 years to get to this point.

This guy just stuck a Harrier model on top of a quadcopter! The builder thinks it's way cooler than it is.

Just sim it...
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Last edited by Depronicus; Sep 07, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:19 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Quote:
if you don't know what C rating on a battery is, i think you're not ready to attempt VTOL at all...
First of all Stewie I'm a huge huge fan of your show. If you help with this project, I'll help with your Lois problem. It's true that only a few people have succeeded building a prop VTOL so It's probably good that I'm one of them. Your right that EDF is harder which is why I asked for the C rating help on this build since it's more critical for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Just noticed your thread and love seeing it over here . No RC funds left for me for the rest of the year ( bought a new bike) but i'll enjoy following along . Cant wait to see it progress , another great Vtol
Thanks. Tough crowd over here though. They don't take too kindly to VTOL in these here parts. It's all good with the funds since it sounds like it went to a good cause. Feel free to vote in the first category still. I won't tell no one.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 07, 2012 at 04:25 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 04:45 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Quote:
...And i think it is much more complicated than to just have a 6CH TX, A few gyros to make a plane Take off vertically, transition to forward fly and land vertically.
True. From my experience it would take a 4CH TX, one gyro and some modified quadcopter code, most of which I have already release in various threads.

///Edit--- A 5Ch TX is the the minimum. I forgot that you need yaw control while in hover mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post
...Creating a truly functional Harrier will remain one of the Holy Grails of RC modeling...
To be sure there are still some unknowns but this thread is very real. Also we need to keep in mind that this build is profile-ish and not scale for a reason. She will be built with or without sponsors. Just might take a little longer without is all
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 22, 2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: 5CH is the minimum needed. Not 4CH
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:38 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
True. From my experience it would take a 4CH TX, one gyro and some modified quadcopter code.
Hmmm. Okay, but it makes you wonder why the big boys aren't on the case already. If the above was correct, wouldn't we have already seen ARF AV-8Bs from many manufacturers?

If it has stumped them, with all their resources and motivation to do it (knowing what a monster seller it would be), what chance does a one-man-band like yourself have?
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:38 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Quote:
Hmmm. Okay, but it makes you wonder why the big boys aren't on the case already. If the above was correct, wouldn't we have already seen ARF AV-8Bs from many manufacturers?
They are but the technology is still extremely new to the RC world. Myself, f&t and LF/Cass are the only ones that I have seen make VTOL airplane code available for free and none of us have tried a Harrier yet.

Weather or not we can get a decent flight time of more than 3 minutes is still unknown. But getting the thing to hover and fly is very known.
Quote:
If it has stumped them, with all their resources and motivation to do it (knowing what a monster seller it would be), what chance does a one-man-band like yourself have?
Not many of them have tried and those that have, have tried too be too scale with their proportions.

I haven't seen anyone make a fixed pitch RC quadcopter VTOL airplane like mine with the front motors spaced closer together than the rear motors but I managed to do it. I haven't seen anyone build a VTOL quadcopter airplane with no vertical stabilizer but I managed to do it. No one has built a Harrier like I am doing here. I haven't finished the build yet but I don't see why I won't eventually be able to say "I managed to do it".

Most of the VTOL Harrier builds I have seen haven't been electric and are simply too scale. Scale proportions won't work.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 07, 2012 at 06:48 AM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 06:58 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt View Post
I haven't seen anyone make a fixed pitch RC quadcopter VTOL airplane like mine with the front motors spaced closer together than the rear motors but I managed to do it.
I was a backer on the Quadshot Kickstarter program that I mentioned above. This showed up on my doorstep yesterday, no maiden yet because of the weather. Not quite the same, but interesting anyway.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 07, 2012, 08:14 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
I was a backer on the Quadshot Kickstarter program...
That's a very cool project. I think they were one of the better entries in the UAVForge competition. It is kind of similar to mine. I had to solve massive vibration problems though from my rear motors due to them being on the end of the wings which aren't the most rigid part of the plane.

Your KickStart link is a great idea. I may have to use it if I ever get serious about this stuff but for now it's just a hobby for me. I like the idea of how the money is raised and if the bar they set isn't met then no one gets charged. I gave this project about two weeks and since I didn't get any bites I've just been enjoying watching the LOL votes grow as I continue on with the build
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Been thinking about Azarr's Kickstarter idea more and more. Wouldn't mind seeing some bicopter and VTOL jets being made and I ain't getting any younger waiting for someone else to do it.

On the one hand I do have a lot of LOL votes, but on the other hand it is encouraged that the "plane looks like crap" votes are still fairly low. Also encouraging that if I do the Kickstarter and I don't make my minimum quota for getting funded then I get to blame Azarr

If I do it then I'll have to keep the jokes to a minimum since playing with other peoples $ is no laughing matter. That is something I do take very seriously which is why I haven't accepted any $ thus far. So the down side of doing it would be no more bad jokes about taking $ but the up side would be more VTOL planes in the air which is the greater good here I think.

I'll have to give Richard Kline & Floyd Fogleman a call to see what is involved in using their wing design in plans for sale. As for unfounded rumors that these aircraft resemble an Osprey or Harrier I suppose I should give Bell Boeing and McDonnell Douglas a call about licensing before they sue me. My guess is this Kickstartr idea will come to a screeching halt after said call due to the price. I could just hope that they leave little old me alone with my toys. Would I still owe them if I call it an Osprino and JumpRadJet?

If by some miracle I make it through all that, then the question is do I only offer plans which I'm more likely to get funding for or do I go for full tooling and license funding
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:16 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,189 Posts
Do Kline and Fogleman have user names here on RCgroups or anyone know of a way to contact them to ask a couple questions? Google didn't find and contact info on them yet for me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:05 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,326 Posts
MR KLINE http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=130143
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor