HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 08, 2012, 05:28 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,725 Posts
Man what a lot of wasted typing and conjecture...The holes are supposed to be straight, all the adapters I ever used from CS had straight holes, loose or badly finished adapters went in the bin. Its purely poor qc if they are not straight.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Sep 2011
696 Posts
I only got 2 set screws in my package, is this normal?
beamen is offline Find More Posts by beamen
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:48 AM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamen View Post
I only got 2 set screws in my package, is this normal?
If your adapter only takes 2 set screws, it is normal. From about May-June or so, new fans come with adapters that take 4 set screws. Before that it was just 2.
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:38 PM
Big gov never Works
Skunk Water, Rhode Island
Joined Jul 2002
12,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
Man what a lot of wasted typing and conjecture...The holes are supposed to be straight, all the adapters I ever used from CS had straight holes, loose or badly finished adapters went in the bin. Its purely poor qc if they are not straight.
I agree, Mark.

All my 3.17 stock adapters have been a easy slip-on, or sloppy fit. This is probably the reason for running un-true. I'm used to the WeMo adapters that had to be heated with a match or lighter, to get them on the motor shaft. The adapters I got from you were not that tight, but a very snug fit, on the HET shafts and the Mega's.

A possible reason for them going to 4 set screws? Interestingly, I have a few HK in runners, that will not accept a 3.17 adapter. Only the adapter that came with the fan. More of a 3.2 hole. Possibly, they don't know the diff between the two sizes, and they are using the wrong drill for the 3.17 adapters?

Fuzz
St. Martin is online now Find More Posts by St. Martin
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:49 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Martin View Post
I agree, Mark.

All my 3.17 stock adapters have been a easy slip-on, or sloppy fit. This is probably the reason for running un-true. I'm used to the WeMo adapters that had to be heated with a match or lighter, to get them on the motor shaft. The adapters I got from you were not that tight, but a very snug fit, on the HET shafts and the Mega's.

A possible reason for them going to 4 set screws? Interestingly, I have a few HK in runners, that will not accept a 3.17 adapter. Only the adapter that came with the fan. More of a 3.2 hole. Possibly, they don't know the diff between the two sizes, and they are using the wrong drill for the 3.17 adapters?

Fuzz

Yup, 3.17 four screw adapters are crap, and you will be lucky if you can make 'em run true. The idea there is some super secret offset drill process that purposely moves the bore off the centerline is just laughable on it's face, both on technical grounds, and also since this is obviously such a cheapo Chinese mass produced piece anyway.
tracknoob is online now Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Oct 09, 2012, 05:38 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,558 Posts
You obviously don't know much at all about CNC machinery if you don't know how SIMPLE a click of a value(s) can offset drilling in all angles and/or positions.
Then there is the possible mounting/aligning of bits etc, that can be done amiss. But if they do that then EVERY piece of the run will be altered... and that is why EVERY one of my adaptors has an offset alignment - whether they did it on purpose or not. It is also why they are all the exact same angled offset.... because the machine rotates the piece perfectly 90deg and then the exact same drill/tap occurs again. In that same 'rotational offset' direction.
And seeing mine were bought over a many many months period, it is not likely it was all the same run they all came from.
It is actually no issue at all even if they are offset, as long as it is minor, and an offset will actually work a fraction better than dead straight (at worst equal use) because of the way grub screws are designed/finished. Plus the fact the machinery will do all four of them dead equal offset in that 'rotational direction' anyway.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:18 PM
Spain, GA, Santiago de Compostela
Joined Aug 2012
48 Posts
Hi all

I spent some time reading (some of) the posts in this and other threads about the CS10. I've flown some EDFs, but the most I meddled with them was to upgrade a motor on a cheap 64mm fan (which worked great for such a small change!). I'm in love with the sound of this CS10 fan and I'd like to start a new project, probably a 70mm T-45 from HK (Heard you can stuff this in the 64mm version from HK too). Suggestions for a somewhat cheap 1st project plane are more than welcome too.

I have 3 nanotechs 4S 2200mAH 35C that if possible I'd like to use, even if it's for a 3min flight tops. So because of that and my lack of experience, maybe I should start at the low end, low amp setups, so I can try to use the lipos I have.

From the test thread I got this:

Quote:

Turnigy L2855 2300KV
4S 3300 25C
Vm: 14.42
Ap: 43.44
Wp: 656.3
Thrust(kg) 1.3
g/w: 1.98

Turnigy L2855 - 2100kv
4S 3300 25C
Vm: 14.18
Ap: 35.32
Wp: 884.2
Thrust (kg): 1.3
g/w: 1.47
Does these values for the Turnigy 2100kV motor make sense? The power (and thrust) seem excessive for the amps. Am I missing something? It would be great for me if it's true. Am I being naive that I can make a setup using a mere 2200mAh 4S with the 2300kV motor? Taking into account the 80% lipo capacity rule would give me about 2 1/2 minutes at 43A, which is WOT for the 2300kV motor, right**? Do I have to take into account many other losses here? If so 2200mAh would be completely unpractical, right? Could I use 2 x 2200mAh in parallel or would it be much bigger/heavier than a 4400mAh battery?

I'm more interested in the sound than in top performance/speed. Will these low amp setups give me the woossh I'm after? Should I just forget the lipos I already have and go for a 5S setup? Or stay at 4S and get bigger lipos and the 2800kV turnigy motor?
Any other suggested realiable setups besides the turnigy 2100 to 2800kV for a first project using stuff from HK? (I live in spain, so stores in europe would be good too). I read about so many different setups here that it's easy to get carried away.... specially without the experience.

Sorry about the long post and the inumerous questions... (actually this is my 1st post here at rcgroups). It's just so hard to make up my mind...

I'd really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
Thanks a lot

** this is my calculation: 2.2Ah*0.8*60min/h / 43A=2.5min
washus is offline Find More Posts by washus
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:28 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,558 Posts
You can ALMOST work out the power by the V and A listed... but those sets of numbers only list Vm which means volts minimum seen. I would guesstimate the volts to use are a bit higher... so make up something a bit higher. LOL.
Multiply out the VxA and the second set are wrong.
That V and A look correct, but the Watts should be 500W or so area. Not 800W area. Note it is Wp listed which means the PEAK ever seen on that run.... but 800+ would still be asking a bit much, or would last only for the very initial 1.0 secs!! LOL
Both would not give 1.3Kg thrust.... the top could. The lower set would prob be 1.0Kg area, or a bit under.

I would not use the 2100kv, unless it is a LIGHT plane!
Your maths look fine, so 2.5mins at WOT...... maybe 3.0mins with care.
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skyzone Goggles - Button Shield
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:34 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
The 2855-2300 and the 2800-2100 tests were misquoted in the early posts and Anlucas has written a post showing the correct numbers.

Here is another post that shows a test of the 2100 is as posted here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=10

My 2300s run pretty much as tested by Anlucas.

Cheers,
Eric B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by washus View Post
Hi all

I spent some time reading (some of) the posts in this and other threads about the CS10. I've flown some EDFs, but the most I meddled with them was to upgrade a motor on a cheap 64mm fan (which worked great for such a small change!). I'm in love with the sound of this CS10 fan and I'd like to start a new project, probably a 70mm T-45 from HK (Heard you can stuff this in the 64mm version from HK too). Suggestions for a somewhat cheap 1st project plane are more than welcome too.

I have 3 nanotechs 4S 2200mAH 35C that if possible I'd like to use, even if it's for a 3min flight tops. So because of that and my lack of experience, maybe I should start at the low end, low amp setups, so I can try to use the lipos I have.

Does these values for the Turnigy 2100kV motor make sense? The power (and thrust) seem excessive for the amps. Am I missing something? It would be great for me if it's true. Am I being naive that I can make a setup using a mere 2200mAh 4S with the 2300kV motor? Taking into account the 80% lipo capacity rule would give me about 2 1/2 minutes at 43A, which is WOT for the 2300kV motor, right**? Do I have to take into account many other losses here? If so 2200mAh would be completely unpractical, right? Could I use 2 x 2200mAh in parallel or would it be much bigger/heavier than a 4400mAh battery?

I'm more interested in the sound than in top performance/speed. Will these low amp setups give me the woossh I'm after? Should I just forget the lipos I already have and go for a 5S setup? Or stay at 4S and get bigger lipos and the 2800kV turnigy motor?
Any other suggested realiable setups besides the turnigy 2100 to 2800kV for a first project using stuff from HK? (I live in spain, so stores in europe would be good too). I read about so many different setups here that it's easy to get carried away.... specially without the experience.

Sorry about the long post and the inumerous questions... (actually this is my 1st post here at rcgroups). It's just so hard to make up my mind...

Thanks a lot

AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:51 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,725 Posts
LOL no I know nothing about machining I close my eyes when I am milling or turning, seems to come out better that way Fact is I am involved in CNC machining with all my housings and other parts, and to me the CS adapters often look like they were hand machined, but reality is they are running the machines too fast. The 3mm spinner hole is a perfect example of CNC being run too fast, 50% of them were off centre, now my guess is the machine is not off centre, just the speed at which it runs causes the bit to go off centre most of the time. If I slam the tailstock in too quickly on my own lathe I can get an off centre hole. Same with the cheap alloy housings, look at the cut marks and finish and dimensions and its obvious the machines are being run fast in order to make as much product per hour as possible. Go look at the finish on one of my housings and the differences are very apparent. We run the machines much slower especially for the finishing passes, part cost is directly related to time used to make it.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:04 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,725 Posts
Quote:
Hi all
I'm in love with the sound of this CS10 fan and I'd like to start a new project, probably a 70mm T-45 from HK (Heard you can stuff this in the 64mm version from HK too). Suggestions for a somewhat cheap 1st project plane are more than welcome too.
My friend flies the Foam HK Hawk with 70mm Alloy CS10 fan and a 3700 4s 45c pack, this pack is 410 grams, the Hawk takes off on grass and flies perfectly. Its pulling around 60 amps on his setup, 1.5kg thrust and its a nice flying model, maybe 100mph or just under. With 43-45A you would be wanting to fly with one pack to keep the weight down. The nanotech 2200 lists at 253 grams, thats way over the weight of a true 2200 pack, have you done a 1c cycle test on your charger to see what the actual capacity is? I know guys who have put 2500 back into packs labelled as 2250! I would be inclined to go with the 2300Kv setup and use your packs as singles to start with, see how it flies, if needed get some bigger packs. Running two of yours together is going to make it pretty heavy for the power level.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:47 PM
United States, MO, Warrensburg
Joined Feb 2008
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme_RC View Post
My friend flies the Foam HK Hawk with 70mm Alloy CS10 fan and a 3700 4s 45c pack, this pack is 410 grams, the Hawk takes off on grass and flies perfectly. Its pulling around 60 amps on his setup, 1.5kg thrust and its a nice flying model, maybe 100mph or just under. With 43-45A you would be wanting to fly with one pack to keep the weight down. The nanotech 2200 lists at 253 grams, thats way over the weight of a true 2200 pack, have you done a 1c cycle test on your charger to see what the actual capacity is? I know guys who have put 2500 back into packs labelled as 2250! I would be inclined to go with the 2300Kv setup and use your packs as singles to start with, see how it flies, if needed get some bigger packs. Running two of yours together is going to make it pretty heavy for the power level.
What motor was he running with that fan? How many watts?
Jetnfast is offline Find More Posts by Jetnfast
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:52 PM
Greece, Attica, Athens
Joined May 2011
3,508 Posts
Quote:
Hi all

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirX View Post
The 2855-2300 and the 2800-2100 tests were misquoted in the early posts and Anlucas has written a post showing the correct numbers.

Here is another post that shows a test of the 2100 is as posted here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=10

My 2300s run pretty much as tested by Anlucas.

Cheers,
Eric B.
Eric,
thanks for clearing that up.!

Washus,

the 4S figures were wrongly posted by me.

Here are the latest correct ones I got on record.

14.4Vm
33.32Ap
330Wp
1.1 Kg
anlucas is offline Find More Posts by anlucas
Old Oct 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetnfast View Post
What motor was he running with that fan? How many watts?
Watts are not really that important unless you know all the parameters, he is running one of my Alloy 4 cell combos with a 2W25, it runs at 850-900w on average and produces 1.46-1.55kg thrust, this of course will always vary depending on the battery used, he is using a big high quality 45c pack, not an HK pack so his power levels will be at the upper end of the scale. Your single 2200 packs are not enough for this sort of setup, but two of them together would be more than enough. He has video of it but its only onboard vid, let me look for it....

Ok here it is:
red arrow 70mm alloy edf (5 min 20 sec)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:38 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anlucas View Post
Eric,
thanks for clearing that up.!

Washus,

the 4S figures were wrongly posted by me.

Here are the latest correct ones I got on record.

14.4Vm
33.32Ap
330Wp
1.1 Kg
anlucas,

You are clear and concise in your testing. I appreciate your work as you give good feedback on what you are trying to do.
I have been told in the past, you cannot lead if there are no followers...

Cheers,
Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX