HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2014, 12:55 PM
United States, IL, Evanston
Joined Apr 2013
711 Posts
I think it depends strongly on your environment. I fly in the suburbs of Chicago and I can only get about 1km. The RSI is at 100% until I get near 1km, then it starts dropping quickly to 0 and fluctuating between 0 and 80. I've had fail safes kick in around 1km at times.
This is true for L9R. I get the same distance from the X8R, but the RSI falls off more gradually.
It is not a line-of-sight issue, as I can see via the camera that I have a clear LOS all the way back to my runway. I also have ruled out a noisy ESC, as it happens even when I turn the throttle off. Antennas are at 90 degrees and situated outside the fuse, on both sides. Using stock antennas for both rx and tx.
dsheikh573 is online now Find More Posts by dsheikh573
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2014, 10:46 PM
mdv
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2009
506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheikh573 View Post
Using stock antennas for both rx and tx.
You will likely get much better range if you ditch the stock antennas and use the extensions available from Aloft. Some call them dipoles. Some call them balun. I don't know what they are but they work much better than the stock ones.
mdv is offline Find More Posts by mdv
Old Oct 30, 2014, 01:27 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Hi everybody, quick question about L9R, I've just received my new Taranis with a L9R receiver and found out that if my transmitter is close to the receiver (less than 2 or 3 feet) the green LED of the receiver starts to flick and dim until the red LED turns on (LOS). But, if I take the transmitter way from the receiver everything normalizes.
Is this normal with this device?
I don't think that it's a big deal since what I need is they work with long distance between them and testing up to 30 feet looks like works OK, but wanted to be sure that it is not a defective piece that will fail later in the air.

Thanks for the assistance.
Juan Loreto is offline Find More Posts by Juan Loreto
Old Oct 30, 2014, 02:06 PM
Joined Apr 2013
711 Posts
Yes, perfectly norMal to lose signal at very close range. All my Taranis receivers do that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 30, 2014, 04:00 PM
Joined Nov 2012
5 Posts
Thanks!
Juan Loreto is offline Find More Posts by Juan Loreto
Old Oct 30, 2014, 04:44 PM
Joined Apr 2013
711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdv View Post
You will likely get much better range if you ditch the stock antennas and use the extensions available from Aloft. Some call them dipoles. Some call them balun. I don't know what they are but they work much better than the stock ones.
I used the dipole on x8r and got out to about 4000 feet. Havent tried them with the L9R though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2014, 10:09 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
1,195 Posts
Quote:
I used the dipole on x8r and got out to about 4000 feet. Havent tried them with the L9R though.
I use the balun antennas on a D8R-II plus with a 5dbi whip on the DJT module.
I've flown out to 3km (9842ft) with rssi in the high 50s low 60s.
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Nov 04, 2014, 07:58 AM
Joined Sep 2014
11 Posts
I use DJT-II (V2), D8R-II Plus, and a 5db antenna from Frsky (this one).

Today I checked the range and I got roughly 70 meters, so it should be 2,1 km. Considering there were two cellphone towers 100 meters away, it sounds good I think.

There is one thing I don't understand. I did the range check two times: the first time I tried, the module on the Tx was giving me beeps accordingly to the distance, that is, the alarm. The second time I tried, it was just beeping regularly, no matter the distance (and no matter the strength of the signal). I got in both cases the same distance (70 meters), but I am wondering what's the 'normal' behaviour of the module during range check. Should it emit beeps in... which way??
Hlaalu11 is offline Find More Posts by Hlaalu11
Last edited by Hlaalu11; Nov 04, 2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:06 AM
Joined Apr 2013
711 Posts
The Tx beeps consistently when you are in range check mode. That is a kind of warning to make sure you remember to change it back to normal mode before flight.

In my experience, range check x 30 does not equal actual flight distance. I get great results from range check but much less results from actual flight. I suspect that is due to rapid changes in orientation during flight and also a change in the noise floor (interference) during actual flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:17 AM
Joined Sep 2014
11 Posts
Thanks for your clarification.

I wonder what the module was doing on my first try then... I swear, it was beeping like the alarm. Is there another 'mode' or something that could be accidentally activated by pressing the same button?
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:23 AM
Joined Sep 2014
11 Posts
Quote:
Yes, perfectly norMal to lose signal at very close range. All my Taranis receivers do that.
Today something similar happened to me.

I had the Tx say 1 or two meters away from the Rx, and one of the servos was slightly cracking: it would stop when I pyshically touched the antenna of the Rx (any of the two antennas) with my hands, and start again when I released it.

Btw... I had read somewhere that for 2.4 GHz radios this should not be an issue anymore...
Old Nov 04, 2014, 01:17 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,230 Posts
Happens for Hitec too... sharing same RF circuit, maybe is a common behaviour, kind of input circuits flooding.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Nov 06, 2014, 05:08 AM
Joined Sep 2014
11 Posts
Yesterday I tried other range checks, and I can confirm that the module emits both the beeps for the range check mode itself (lower tone) and for the signal strenght (higher pitch).

What I find it strange is that the quality of the movements of the servos becomes faint before the signal strength alarm starts to beep. That is to say, when I started to hear the low signal alarms, the servos had already almost stopped working, altough the failsafe wasn't triggered.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Well, like I said I got more than 70 meters, with two cellphone towers around, and this is perfectly satisfactory to me, I am just wondering about the behaviour of the module...