HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:47 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
gonna get a stryker tomorrow. any must do mods? especially for strength and durability and anything else?

anything i need to know before i maiden? radio mixing and best way to land.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:21 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
With stock motor ,7,5 apc prop and nano 4 cell 70 c batt and a trex500 esc 60 amp, i get 133.1 mph out of my plane and just with 3 cell i get 126 mph
lesodell is offline Find More Posts by lesodell
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesodell View Post
With stock motor ,7,5 apc prop and nano 4 cell 70 c batt and a trex500 esc 60 amp, i get 133.1 mph out of my plane and just with 3 cell i get 126 mph
sooooooooo.................. its gonna be just alil bit faster than my champ? not looking at putting much more $$$$ in it. i just got into 3d and thats where im gonna put my $$$$ stock setup is fine. just thought their may be a few things i could do to strengthing her up a bit. plus i just got a dx8 so im a noob at radio mixing.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:01 PM
Gravity impaired
United States, NY, Wolcott
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
sooooooooo.................. its gonna be just alil bit faster than my champ? not looking at putting much more $$$$ in it. i just got into 3d and thats where im gonna put my $$$$ stock setup is fine. just thought their may be a few things i could do to strengthing her up a bit. plus i just got a dx8 so im a noob at radio mixing.
Had my champ up to 140 the other day (in my dreams) lol

You can download the HH settings for the DX8 in your account there. You should also update the Airware in the DX8 to the latest if you havent already. Latest version is 2.06

One common weak point seems to be the spar. Lots of people have cracked the Q there. Seems it wasn't glued correctly on the fore side of the spar. Run some thin CA in there. That's what I did when mine cracked and it's held up well since then.

Also check for backplates for the control horns. At least have some on the elevons. You can make them easy enough if they are not present.
jrjr is offline Find More Posts by jrjr
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:11 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
gonna get a stryker tomorrow. any must do mods? especially for strength and durability and anything else?

anything i need to know before i maiden? radio mixing and best way to land.
Conrats with you Stryker, I think you'll have a blast, this was my first flying wing & she's my favorite in the hangar!!

First check your AIL/ELE control horns to see if they have backplates, if not, put backplates on. IMHO out of all the mods I would say this is the #1. The control horns have been known to break free from the control surface & cause crashes since they are glued on there (it happened to me but zero fuselage damage, stripped right AIL/ELE servo, replaced both AIL/ELE servos with HiTech HS-65MG's)

Seems everbody has moved to an APC 7x6 or 7x5 prop, both Sport & Electric. I have only used the Sport props & LOVE 'em! Can't comment on the Electric since I have never used 'em. But those props will make a signficant improvement with your hand-launch!

If you decide to go with those props you may need to ream them, some had to and some did not, I had to. I reamed the props to 8mm but I also purchased this to make the fit "easier" instead of using washers on the stock prop shaft to secure the APC prop. The stock prop hub is larger than the APC hub:

http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...34187d239162a4

If you keep the stock ESC watch your WOT passes, some have installed a larger ESC, I went with Eflite 60a ESC & the stock motor & she works fine for me, 118mph

Here's an example of the side-arm/frisbee hand launch with a stock set up:

Parkzone Stryker F-27Q Easy Hand Launch (5 min 6 sec)

If you wanna setup Airbrakes on her this is the perfect "How To":

HorizonHobby.com How To - Mixing Rudders For Speedbrakes On Your Stryker (7 min 30 sec)

As far as landing since I fly in a small park I always bring her in using the Elevator/Parachute method. 4:37 has a nice approach with another approach to landing at 5:09, just make sure you're over grass :

PZ Stryker Q: Aerobatic Tutorial and flight demo (5 min 54 sec)

Caution, repeated Elevator/Parachute landings will have wear on the airframe at the spar & may develop a crack or your fuselage may start to "break" apart at the spar (mine did). Nothing a little Medium Foam Safe CA & Kicker couldn't cure

Good luck & have fun with your maiden as well as your first Inverted Boomerang! She flies like she's on rails!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Last edited by rcoconut; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:15 PM. Reason: words added
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:33 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Regular CA works fine on this foam, foam safe is not needed.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:02 PM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,762 Posts
Didn't know that, thanks!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:11 PM
Gravity impaired
Joined Nov 2004
1,521 Posts
Yep have used it a lot. You wanna watch the kicker as it softens the paint. If you use it, don't touch the area or wipe it. Let it dry but it works ok just the same.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:04 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,865 Posts
Quote:

Sounds like you are having all sorts of fun.

Those extra high speeds must be with some sort of big dive and/or big tail wind.

Enjoy,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:26 AM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
Diving mostly ,and using the 4 cell batt but it takes a min off my flying time so i dont use it much , with the nano tec batts it does great and when turning at full speed you can just see the wings bending for the g,s . It is one of my funniest planes to fly
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, NJ, Clayton
Joined Aug 2010
1,580 Posts
Quote:
when i tested a apc 7x5e on the stock motor using a 70 amp esc I got a reading of around 94 amps on 4s what numbers are you getting? I propped down to an apc 6x5.5e and was getting amp readings in the mid 60's. I miss the thrust of the 7x5e.
keithy4129 is offline Find More Posts by keithy4129
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,865 Posts
Hopefully on 4S he uses APC 7X5 Sport instead of 7X5 E.

Lower AMPs and more RPM with sport prop and extra heavy duty.....also less chance of smoking the motor.

For 3S, I would take the E over the Sport prop due to higher thrust for more fun!!!

Each prop has its own advantages.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:55 PM
Fresno, Calif.
Joined Feb 2007
157 Posts
+1 on that. 7x5E is all I've ever used
onothimagain is offline Find More Posts by onothimagain
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:00 PM
good till the first drop
michigan usa
Joined Jan 2005
607 Posts
i haven't checked on 4 cell , but the next time i am out at the field i will , on 3 i was getting 48 amps. so is the 7,5 e the one that is stiffer ? witch ever one is the stiffer one is what i use . i was very careful not to run wot for very long just to check top speed .
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
so on a stock setup. should i use the stock prop or something else? poster above said a different prop will help with my hand launch