HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 08:52 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Here's a winter upgrade that I started the other night. Replacing the small tires with Dubro 2 1/2" super lite wheels. It takes a little rework to the wheel pants, but they work.

I'm also installing a better nose gear leg that should absorb rough landings. More pictures to follow.

While I'm posting, please be aware that Nitro Planes customer service is not what it should be. I needed a replacement Horizontal Stab which they shipped without the spar, and after several weeks of explaining what I should have received, they refuse to send me the spar, so now I have to find a replacement. I don;t think i will be purchasing another airplane from them.
Lancair IV is offline Find More Posts by Lancair IV
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Big tire mod complete

Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,267 Posts
looks great!,
I'm in the process of adding the ardupilot UAV with telemetry and fpv to mine
irun4fundotca is online now Find More Posts by irun4fundotca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:06 PM
Joined May 2011
115 Posts
Having some issues landing--

ok I can land most planes but aving issues with this one I wondering if this plane is tail heavy Is the cg recommend in the manual correct?
luigirox is offline Find More Posts by luigirox
Old Nov 17, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luigirox View Post
ok I can land most planes but aving issues with this one I wondering if this plane is tail heavy Is the cg recommend in the manual correct?
NO..... I'm at 55mm from the leading edge. It's a much better flying aircraft. I might even move it to 53 and see how she fly's.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:28 PM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
I fly mine at 60 mm from the LE. You have to keep the speed up in the final, so I fly a steep approach with full flap flaring onto the runway mains touch down first. Expect a long run off.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined May 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennettOZ84 View Post
Well I have another problem now.. The CG is way off from what you guys are recommending of around 72mm to 74mm. I have attached pictures of whats going on.

The closest I can get to that recommended CG is about 64mm and that's with the battery pushed farthest to the tail as possible. Which seems to be the backwards to what everyone else is experiencing with the CG and weight issues.

It comes in right at 54mm with the battery pushed up to the battery mod location more towards the center of the fuselage.
I didn't see any other reply to this message (may have been one, if so I missed it) so thought I would jump in and point out that you are measuring from the wrong location on the wing per your pictures.

The measurement is always from the wing root (IE - where the wing joins the fuse). You are measuring an inch or so from the wing root where the leading edge is closer to the centerline of the wing due to the curve of the leading edge.

If you were to measure from the correct location on the leading edge (that being the point that the wing meets the fuse), then you would be closer to the CG that others are suggesting.

James
StressLess is offline Find More Posts by StressLess
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Jul 2012
9 Posts
More winter upgrades. I upgraded to 2650mAh batteries, and moved them to the cockpit. I removed the right door and it is secured with rare earth magnets.

Door Closed

Door Open

2650mAh Battery held in place with Velcro

Added a Eagle Tree Systems Guardian 2D/3D Inertial Stabilizer, and relocated the receiver.

Relocated the Elevator servo to the tail compartment and added a remote receiver.

I'm going to check the CG this weekend. It should be a little nose heavy, and easy to adjust.

Is it spring yet?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:04 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,267 Posts
Trial fpv

Heres my temporary fpv osd for testing
not very good looking but will do the job
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:27 AM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
Wow! Have you flown with all that stuff on there yet? If not, i highly recommend replacing the stock prop with a parkzone pkz4901 (if you didn't know this already ). it pulls about 10 more amps and gives you a few more ounces of thrust but it turns this plane into a whole new bird. might help you out with the extra weight. just a suggestion. this plane was a sled for me till i put that prop on. i fly all stock except the prop.
jasturkey is offline Find More Posts by jasturkey
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:52 AM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,267 Posts
This one?
Parkzone 3-Blade Propeller (10.6 x 7.8): Bf-109G PKZ4901
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=360506605095

the battery on the wing is the heavy part the rest is nothing an e-osd and a board camera encased in blue foam,
the transmitter and ant are smaller than most 400mw transmitters considering its 1.5 watts
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 21, 2013, 04:04 AM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
that be the one! i think what you are doing is pretty sweet, i just wanted to give you a heads up in case you didn't know. i don't remember the exact #'s it gave me but they should be pretty close to what i stated before. i did forget to mention that that prop has a slightly larger center hole. you will need to use some sort of tubing on the motor shaft to get the prop to fit tight (if you go this route). i wish i could tell you what to use. i used a piece of air brake line for a 18 wheeler. i can get the dimensions later if you want them (i don't have it with me at the time).
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:20 AM
Beating air into submission!
Joined Aug 2011
1,855 Posts
Has anyone upgraded this thing for a 4S battery? That is my plan.
GrahamWilson is offline Find More Posts by GrahamWilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:08 PM
United States, WI
Joined Dec 2009
91 Posts
the tube size i used is 8mm o.d.- 1mm wall thickness- 6mm i.d. ...if this helps.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:11 PM
Flying Wood For Fun
Canada, ON, Harrowsmith
Joined Jan 2012
7,267 Posts
Thanks ill look into it
RCG Plus Member