HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
Sorry, but they're all toys.
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jun 2009
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaribbeanBlue View Post
The WidowMaker is a great plane, its one weakness in my view is a lack of foam in the nose. It does not have the 'bounceability' of the Assassin, so why not combine them both?

Its blowing too hard outside, so time for a polystyrene mockup study~~~

1. Take a WM wing, cut to 15.5" on TE and fit full length elevon, repeat for other side. Why 15.5" ?~~ Answer in next post~~

2. Take centre 13" from an ?Assassin with all electronics buried and sides cut to same angle on TE, see photos

3. Fit spars / tubes to join and stick-on fins~~ Go Fly!

To be continued...........H

I'm very interested in how you pull this one off, I've been wondering how I might fold one of these larger planes into a backpack-size package. My latest is a Scythe that folds in half at the bottom, and it works quite well.

It's not clear though if you intend to keep this as a break-down rig or if this is an attempt to graft two different wings together...
Eric Odle is offline Find More Posts by Eric Odle
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2011, 12:11 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC Flyer View Post
Here are my bench test results with the HK 7x6 prop:

Stock: 11.2 V, 16 A, 11,400 rpm
Mods: 11.2 V, 21 A, 12,400 rpm

The stock motor had a Kv of 1480 (w/o prop), the rewound motor 1780. So, it looks like I increased Kv 20% by going from 12 to 10 turns.

Looking forward to better weather. I think I'll just use the 7x6 prop and not mess with a smaller one. Hopefully it won't smoke.
Speaking of smoking, my Radio Shack 26 ga wire finally gave out. I was flying in very strong winds yesterday way downwind above a forest of trees when the motor went quiet only a couple of minutes into flight. Luckily I was high enough to go into a dive and get back to field.

I probably had at least 60 flights on this rewound motor. But I had recently noticed that the green insulation had turned copper color in some places.

After I landed I gave it throttle and prop would turn and hesitate then turn some more. A few seconds later the magic smoke came out. When I tested with an ohm meter, one of the motor leads was shorted to the stator.

I had a little scare when I stuck an unmodified motor on last night and the ESC just kept beeping. I thought the ESC was toast too. But I just had to reset the throttle range and all was good. Flew a flight this morning and worked well - just not as much power with 12 winds.

I just put in an order for some Microdan 24 ga wire that is supposed to be good for up to 300 C (572 F). Will keep you posted.
KC Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KC Flyer
Last edited by KC Flyer; May 31, 2011 at 01:01 PM. Reason: added more data
Old May 31, 2011, 03:36 PM
United States, MS, Clinton
Joined Apr 2010
401 Posts
sweet....I really noticed how much the hot weather affects the rewound motor yesterday.
bamabaxter is offline Find More Posts by bamabaxter
Old May 31, 2011, 07:33 PM
Joined Jul 2010
208 Posts
Elevon settings in high Wind?

Hi,
Any thoughts on elevon settings/throws in 18+mph winds?
Try an fly figure of 8 like sloping I know~~,
but if wing if flying downwind away from you and does not want to turn,
do you
1. Cut throttle for a downwind 'landing' or
2. Turn up wick for more airspeed and elevon response to try to turn~~~
could be a long walk!

Good job the ESCs Beep so you can hear them if you get close enough in the scrub.

PS My WidowMaker is 38" span, has the sweep been changed?

PSS Just noticed the motor mount had bent on a previous 'landing' and is now giving a few degrees downthrust, maybe that is why it was less responsive and flew away on the last flight?

H
CaribbeanBlue is offline Find More Posts by CaribbeanBlue
Last edited by CaribbeanBlue; May 31, 2011 at 07:43 PM. Reason: info
Old May 31, 2011, 07:54 PM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Airspeed is your friend on the downwind turn. Gas it and keep air moving over the surfaces.
Downwind turns are deceptive. They take up more distance.
The dynamics of airspeed vs groundspeed cause things to happen in the air that don't make sense to your brain.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old May 31, 2011, 08:57 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
I agree with ninja that you just need to keep your throttle up above 50% when going downwind.

I've been out of the country for 6 of the past 8 weeks so have flown every day since I've been back (leaving again Monday).

Anyway, I was the only one at the field the past few days with 30+ mph gusty winds. Windsock straight out. When flying into wind I could go backwards. I flew last Thursday with a couple other Assassins between tornado warnings (calmest day of the week).

The Assassin is an awesome wind plane and much more fun than a kite. Just be prepared to go really fast downwind.
Old May 31, 2011, 10:50 PM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,260 Posts
I have learned to throttle up going into turns if there is any wind. It has become a reflex and I don't even think about it. When you are flying into the wind and turn to come back with the wind the plane may have zero air speed although it may have a reasonable ground speed and drop out of the sky. It doesn't matter how good the plane is, if it doesn't have air moving over the wing it isn't flying and will fall out of the sky.

We fly in heavy wind with our EPP wings here. It doesn't bother us much.

http://vimeo.com/152033
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 01, 2011, 12:43 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
Is that eps foam? Let us know how that holds up on impact with the ground.

pat
Sorry this reply is a few days late. But I guess this foam holds up pretty good. I tried to maiden it yesterday with not very much success. The HK939 metal gear servos held up pretty good too. I crashed it at least a dozen times and only 2 props later got it to fly halfway decent. Every time I launched it seemed to flounder around in the sky only to take a dive straight into the ground. The last time I crashed it, it make a pretty good thud but at least it was the farthest it flew. So far in fact that it was in really tall weeds and it took me an hour and half to find it. Yet still in good shape and I only found it cause I heard the servos wiggle. I'm goin to go thru the build logs at the begining of this thread to see if I can figure out what I did wrong. My Assassin seemed to flounder nose up til it stalled and get worse if I gave it more throttle. At first I tried to adjust the trims cause as I understand, the elevons need a bit of up trim to fly right. But still not much success. I finally ajusted the motor mount to be more inline with the front to rear axis of the airframe. It flew better but still not right so I ajusted it more. This last time it flew even better but I think I had my elevon throws to high and rolled too far left to make the turn, stalling the left wing and rolled straight into the ground. I may not have had a good maiden (maidens) but I now know it can take some real hard hits and still fly. BTW... AUW is 16.1oz, using a CF2822 motor from HK, HK939 servos, 18A Turnigy ESC, 1800mAh battery (its what I got) and CG is 6.25" from the nose. WOT with a APC 7X5EP is 9.5A.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Last edited by RCBlackSheep; Jun 01, 2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old Jun 01, 2011, 01:37 AM
Planes in flames,,,
Gravity Sucks
Joined Aug 2010
3,571 Posts
Two things to check:
Is your prop installed correctly? If it's on backwards, it will still create thrust, just not enough to fly the plane well.

Is your prop adapter installed tightly onto the shaft? Have seen where they have loosened up and still spin the prop but sometimes spin on the shaft.
jetpackninja is offline Find More Posts by jetpackninja
Old Jun 01, 2011, 02:39 AM
I'd Rather Be Flying
Stockton CA
Joined Feb 2009
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpackninja View Post
Two things to check:
Is your prop installed correctly? If it's on backwards, it will still create thrust, just not enough to fly the plane well.

Is your prop adapter installed tightly onto the shaft? Have seen where they have loosened up and still spin the prop but sometimes spin on the shaft.
Prop is installed correctly. Double checked. Prop adapter is tight. Double checked.
RCBlackSheep is offline Find More Posts by RCBlackSheep
Old Jun 01, 2011, 03:07 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
9,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBlackSheep View Post
BTW... AUW is 16.1oz, using a CF2822 motor from HK, HK939 servos, 18A Turnigy ESC, 1800mAh battery (its what I got) and CG is 6.25" from the nose. WOT with a APC 7X5EP is 9.5A.
The 2822 and the 2812 are not the same motor. The 2822 needs a 9-10 inch prop to generate thrust because it is only 1200kv instead of the 1535 kv of the 2812. You are way underpowered with the 7x5 APC prop. I think I am using 16-17 A with the 2812. Here are links to the motors... compare. Look at the suggested prop sizes. Good luck!!!!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5354

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=5423
Lee is offline Find More Posts by Lee
Old Jun 01, 2011, 05:19 PM
S.E.Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
2,240 Posts
Quote:
I just put in an order for some Microdan 24 ga wire that is supposed to be good for up to 300 C (572 F). Will keep you posted
I've heard that Strongrcmotors carrys good wire for 2812 re-winds. While I havn't bought wire, I have made several other purchases and he has great customer service.
wheelspinner20 is offline Find More Posts by wheelspinner20
Old Jun 01, 2011, 08:55 PM
Slow Flyer
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,236 Posts
One of my new wing cores has a dent in the epp on the bottom. I thought it might go away after removing it from the box. It didn't. Not a big deal, but I wanted to know if anyone knows a fool proof way to remove dents from epp. Heat? Hot water? etc?
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:19 PM
Ridgecrest Calif
Joined Nov 2010
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
One of my new wing cores has a dent in the epp on the bottom. I thought it might go away after removing it from the box. It didn't. Not a big deal, but I wanted to know if anyone knows a fool proof way to remove dents from epp. Heat? Hot water? etc?
Dunno specifically about epp, but I've removed foam creases by placing a wet paper towel over the crease and hitting it for a couple seconds with a hot iron. You can do it more than once, but be sure to keep the paper towel at least damp. The steam is probably part of it.
WAM74 is offline Find More Posts by WAM74
Old Jun 01, 2011, 09:21 PM
Lee's Summit, MO USA
Joined Jan 2001
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspinner20 View Post
I've heard that Strongrcmotors carrys good wire for 2812 re-winds. While I havn't bought wire, I have made several other purchases and he has great customer service.
I emailed Strong and he couldn't tell me the design temp of the 24 ga wire that he sells. What really worried me is that his website recommends going to Alltronics for larger orders (ie 1/4 lb). Alltronics only has wire that is good to 105 C (MicroDan wire is supposed to be good to 300 C) as far as I can tell. So for $2 more I decided to not mess with low temp magnet wire again.

http://www.alltronics.com/cgi-bin/it...ge-Magnet-Wire