New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:53 PM
Find More Posts by techspy
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
Build Log
FlyFly Mirage Build #2 with lots of mods

Well, I built and flew the heck out of my first Flyfly Mirage 2000, see thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=879307 for lots of info and the place I got all my info when building.

So I ran it at the very edge and pushed the motor really hard. So hard that it melted the nylon motor mount after about 10 flights. Unfortunately the way that the model is built, you cant remove the fan mount without destroying the rear of the plane, which I did. So I am building a new one that will allow the fan unit to be removed if needed. I am making a lot of other changes and mods as well so I will document it all here. Here is a list of what I am doing with it.

-Covered in WowPlanes Liquid Sheeting
-Removable fan unit.
-Cooling holes in fan shroud
-Carbon fiber spacer and washers for motor
-Heatsink on motor
-Rudder control
-Strobes on wing tips and on stabilizer to assist with orientation
-Eagle Tree logger with speed sensor, rpm sensor, and temp sensors for motor and batteries.
LED "afterburner" effect

Running gear:
2.4 Futaba radio
Typhoon EDF-600-32 800W motor
Midifan rotor with aluminum spinner
CC HV85 and BEC
Tanic Packs 5000mah 6 cell 30c Lipos

Now for some pictures.
techspy is offline Find More Posts by techspy
Last edited by techspy; Dec 30, 2008 at 08:58 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2008, 11:58 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
Here is the modified motor mount with the cooling holes. I also placed a hole in the side of the shroud so I could get to the set screws that holed the rotor adapter on. I made a carbon fiber spacer and washers to help insulate the mount from the heat from the motor.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:01 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
I reinforced the tip of the wing wound with carbon fiber tubes and epoxy. I also rounded out the locations for the strobes. I hand bent the lenses out of lexan. I will fill in and sand down the epoxy holding the lenses.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:05 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
Instead of epoxying the fan unit into the fuselage, I made some ply mounting points and epoxied those into the location where the fan shroud would have been glued. I used some threaded blind nuts behind the ply. I then cut out the opposite side to create the access. I will glue it in with wood glue as it is easy to cut apart should I need to remove the access panel.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:14 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
Location of speed sensor and rx
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by kremecheze
United States, NY, Queens County
Joined Jun 2007
1,187 Posts
very nice,i think i will do the samee,i'm waiting for my airframe to arrive,i have a 2400 watts 82 setup waiting for it.krrp the updates coming
kremecheze is offline Find More Posts by kremecheze
Old Dec 30, 2008, 12:49 AM
Find More Posts by flyingrally
Where did Steve go ?
Alexandra
Joined Jul 2007
3,328 Posts
Subscribed

Now thats a very cool way of doing the fan access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techspy
Instead of epoxying the fan unit into the fuselage, I made some ply mounting points and epoxied those into the location where the fan shroud would have been glued. I used some threaded blind nuts behind the ply. I then cut out the opposite side to create the access. I will glue it in with wood glue as it is easy to cut apart should I need to remove the access panel.
flyingrally is offline Find More Posts by flyingrally
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by Doubletap
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,606 Posts
Great mods! I am close to picking one of these up and was contemplating some of the same mods. Keep it up!

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Dec 30, 2008, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by tomme21
tom
USA, LA, Natchitoches
Joined Apr 2004
1,617 Posts
liquid sheeting???

just what is liquid sheeting??
tomme21 is offline Find More Posts by tomme21
Old Dec 30, 2008, 11:19 AM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomme21
just what is liquid sheeting??
http://www.wowplanes.com/product_inf...roducts_id=101
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by BrentP
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Tech, where'd ya get the strobes?
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:27 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-59...-Lights/Detail

It comes with 2 u shaped bulbs. I was able to connect both of those to one lead via a splitter and another straight bulb to the other lead. They all flash together but a little slower due to running 3 bulbs as opposed to 2.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by BrentP
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
Thanks..........agreed the fan access looks great. I will do the same but seeing you aready know this model do you think there will be any structural loss? How will you attach the cover..magnets?
Brent
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Dec 30, 2008, 01:47 PM
USA, NC, Matthews
Joined Aug 2008
3,297 Posts
I am going to add some carbon fiber tubes in the fuselage and add carbon fiber rods to the access panel so that when its in place they slide into one another. I am going to actually glue the panel into place with Elmers wood glue. I used that glue to attach the wing to the fuselage and it worked great. It dries rigid and is sandable and paintable, but it is easy to cut through with a razor knife if you need to gain access. I will use as little glue as possible and keep it close to the outside of the panel so that it will be easy to get to with a razor knife.

Another possibility is to use lightweight spackle. It is actually easier to cut through if needed.

I don't think there will be any structural loss to speak of since there won't be any gaps anywhere. So, the force from the fan should transfer through the foam in the same way. Plus, if the reviews of the liquid sheeting are accurate, that will add a considerable amount of strength. I will cover the access panel separately of course, otherwise it may be too difficult to cut through the liquid sheeting.
Old Dec 30, 2008, 08:43 PM
LBJ
Find More Posts by LBJ
LBJ
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Nov 2007
705 Posts
Techspy,

I think I'll add some dowels at the front of the wing there like you did to add some strength. Prolly use some bamboo skewers with 30 minute epoxy since that's what I have handy! <grin>

If I did it again, I might do the same engine mods you added. Hopefully, this Mirage will be around for as long as my Alfa MiG-15; 2.5 years and still flying on the original setup.

Good stuff.
LBJ is offline Find More Posts by LBJ