Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:30 AM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Discussion
Build Log Ultra-Cheap Micro Tiger Moth

First: I have very little experience in any aspect of RC flight. This is less of a How-to (which is why I didn't list it as one) and more a documentation of my learning process.

I was browsing Aliexpress and stumbled onto this ridiculously cheap model. At the highest level, it comes with everything but Rx, Tx, and battery for $37.00 US, free shipping. http://m.aliexpress.com/item/2046474525.html So I figured, I can afford to lose $37.00 if it comes to that, and ordered it. Shipping was fairly prompt, a couple weeks I think to northwestern Missouri, USA.

How micro? There's a pic of its top wing laying on the wing of my Sport Cub S. Pretty micro.

I did a little work before I started this log but I hope to catch you up through the pics. Not very much.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
21,909 Posts
That certainly is a tiny airplane!
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:44 AM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
That certainly is a tiny airplane!
You got that right.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 10:46 AM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
There are two questions that remain to be answered: Can I build it? and, If so, will it fly?
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:04 AM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Step 1: Installation of the Wing

No, not really. We're not going to install the wing. We're going to put the aileron cranks and servo on the wing.

The instructions refer to the ailerons as rudders. This level of translation prevails throughout the directions. I've seen worse. The small & not very explanatory photos represent a bigger problem to me.

The cranks lay in a pre-molded groove in the wing. One end will glue to the wing; the servo crank drops down over the other ends. There is no provision for manual trim.

I have some tiny Eflite linear servos on hand like those on the SCS and other UMX planes. I could see these winding up on this wing, increasing to total cost by almost 2/3. Not yet, though. We're starting out stock.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 11:11 AM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
United States, AR
Joined Nov 2014
1,470 Posts
Manual trim is by bending the wires. Common on micro stuff.

What servos do you have?

Did all the stuff come with the kit?
BHOFM is offline Find More Posts by BHOFM
Old Jun 17, 2015, 01:28 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOFM View Post
Manual trim is by bending the wires. Common on micro stuff.

What servos do you have?

Did all the stuff come with the kit?
I know it's bending the wires, but even that is going to be crowding the limits of the strength of the design.

The servos don't even have a mfr. label on them. No-name 2.5 gram. Same with the motor - no brand or mfr info whatsoever.

Everything came with it, as I said in my opening post. For $18.00 i could have gotten just the foam & wood parts & landing gear and cowl, the minimim basic model. They have a little Staggerwing too. http://m.aliexpress.com/item/2031872361.html If this one flies I might buy just the foam parts of the Stag and use my little Eflite linear servos to control it. I'm going to weigh this motor, and I believe they do give me a kv number on it at least.

Rx, tx, battery are on me - and of course as a Taranis user that is my preference.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 01:53 PM
Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Joined May 2010
1,217 Posts
Neither of your links work....
Deadstick 8409 is online now Find More Posts by Deadstick 8409
Old Jun 17, 2015, 02:00 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadstick 8409 View Post
Neither of your links work....
Hmmm... I went there via my Wish List & linked them, I'll bet I need to navigate there outside the wish list structure and try that way.

Thanks.

It'll be a few hours, I've got obligations thus afternoon. I'll post when I think they're fixed.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 10:49 AM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Been spending all my time on a John Deere tractor - got a few minutes here for an update.

The next step is putting the servos in the fuselage. I've done it once and cut them back out. I'm planning my second attack.

Problems: the empty space inside the fuse is only about 1.5 x the width of my thumb. No way for two tiny servos to share that space and swing their control arms. I cut the control arms down & there's still no room.

The servos are (I think) supposed to offset overlap, one about half higher than the other. I'm not sure that will work anyway. I'll be giving it another shot this evening when I return from mowing.

I've got a few of these linear servos in stock. They would fit. Of course, they'd markedly increase my total cost on this project, but... OTOH they might make a flyable airplane....

I posted this before I intended to... fat fingers... continued, with pics, on the next post.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 08:49 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Continued...

There is no provision for attaching the pushrods to the servos. As you can see in the pics, one end is a 90° bend & the other is straight. No clevises or anythjng. They have these little plastic keeper thingies that I can tell from the tiny pictures go at the control surface end to perform approximately the same duty as a linkage stopper only not as well.

I've got some fine piano wire. I might make some Z-bend ends & attach them to the push rods with CA & shrink tube. Or maybe not.

That's all in the future, though. The immediate problem is installing these servos. I've put these servos in here once, and there simply wasn't room for both of them where they were supposed to go.

I did some surgery, but I don't think it will work well. I'm back to the drawing board. The photos tell the story.

---I don't spell as bad as my autocorrect makes it appear---
Old Jun 20, 2015, 09:09 PM
Find More Posts by Jimmy Z
Plattekill, NY
Joined Aug 2007
42 Posts
Not sure how the servos would line up with the elevator and the rudder but can you mount one upside down? That way, you might have a little more room for the arms to swing.
Jimmy Z is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy Z
Old Jun 20, 2015, 09:18 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Z View Post
Not sure how the servos would line up with the elevator and the rudder but can you mount one upside down? That way, you might have a little more room for the arms to swing.
Thanks. I think I'm going to mount one of them behind the designed spot. Different length push rods. I can't see why it wouldn't work (but I may find out.) But that way I can stick the rx and ESC on the side where they originally wanted the other servo - stretching forward from that spot, of course. And the 250 - 300 mAh 2S battery in the nose.

They supplied 25 grams of 5 gram stick-on lead weights and said to put them in the cowl. No maybe, just Do it. So I'm thinking whatever I can move forward should be, provisionally, ok.

These are called 2.5 gram servos. Haven't weighed one but I'd say that's not far off. So moving one back is a modest change at worst. I hope,
Old Jun 22, 2015, 01:07 AM
Find More Posts by KristofferR
Sweden, Västra Götaland County, Gothenburg
Joined May 2015
13 Posts
Thanks for sharing your build!

I think something like the approach in the link might work for you. I've done a similar thing but with a smaller angle .

Hopefully the link works, I did this on my phone.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1152767
KristofferR is offline Find More Posts by KristofferR
Old Jun 22, 2015, 08:52 AM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristofferR View Post
Thanks for sharing your build!

I think something like the approach in the link might work for you. I've done a similar thing but with a smaller angle .

Hopefully the link works, I did this on my phone.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1152767
Now that is a creative appoach. I'd have never thought of that. Whether I can do that in this plane or not, I bookmarked that pic for future reference. Thanks!