New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 29, 2015, 05:35 AM
Find More Posts by kooshking
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2013
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHS View Post
Well my L979 finally stripped the spur gear. I think what happened was the screws on the motor came loose, and the motor shifted a bit and the pinion chewed off the edges of a few teeth on the spur gear. Interestingly, I noticed that the replacement pinion gears I had ordered were 14 tooth, while the original was 12 tooth. I tried one and it meshed with the replacement spur gear much better than the 12 tooth pinion had. Once I assembled it, the gearbox was smoother and quieter than it had ever been. I haven't checked to see if the car is any faster with the slightly taller gear ratio. I find it interesting that there are different size pinions and that people are finding differences in gear mesh, WL must have made some changes at some point? I do hope that this improved gear mesh will make the gears last much longer.

Also this is the battery I use, I just changed the connector to Deans. It fits almost perfectly and offers a noticeable improvement in battery life. https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=37346

I'll also offer my opinion on upgrades, now that I've had mine about 5 months. I can't seem to find any 390 size motors that offer improved performance. There are some 390 size crawler motors, but that will just give more torque and less speed, that's just counter productive in this application. The gears are already delicate as it is, so more power is not really a good idea.

I think the best things to do are properly break in the motor, replace the bushings at the wheels with bearings, and install some 65mm oil filled shocks. The bearings make some difference in speed and efficiency, and they will last longer than the bushings. The shocks make a huge difference in handling, the car is much steadier over rough terrain. Unfortunately there aren't many options for front wheels and tires. You can get some Tamiya buggy front wheels that fit the front spindles, and get the correct bearings for those, and the Hobby King Sand Storm buggy front wheels will work too I think. There are of course plenty of options for 12mm hex rear wheels and tires. I think the L979 wheels and tires are decent enough for these cars, they don't have great traction but they do the job.

I just don't see the point in trying to upgrade these cars any further than that, it only becomes a waste. The brushless L202 is like an after thought, it wasn't designed from the start to be brushless, the gearbox is too weak so it won't last. I'm happy with my L979 the way it is now, when I want more power, I have other cars that were designed to be brushless.

If you want brushless speed and power, then buy a car that was meant to be brushless. I know I keep recommending HobbyKing stuff, but I haven't found better deals anywhere else. You can get the Hobby King Turnigy Brushless 1/16 4wd buggy ready to run for $90, and it blows the L9x9 cars out of the water in every way, yet costs less than an L959. Or the Quanum Vandal for $120. That's less expensive than an L202, yet it's 4wd, bigger, far more powerful, and very durable. I have the Vandal XL with 135mm tires on it, it's so much more powerful, durable, and upgradeable. Sometimes if you buy the almost ready to run car and the radio system separately, it's even cheaper.

I just don't see why anyone would spend money converting an L9x9 to brushless and then keep replacing parts, when that money could buy a way better car to begin with. I mean I love my L979 for driving around my front yard and in the street, and driving on the beach because I sealed the gearbox and it's fun in the sand. But beyond that, when I want a faster car I go to my rally car or Vandal buggy, they don't break constantly and are plenty fast, the rally car handles way better, and the buggy can crash and flip and land upside down without breaking.

Upgrade your bearings and shocks and enjoy what you have. If you want to go faster, buy a car that's brushless to begin with. The extra you spend on a new car instead of just the l202 kit, will end up being cheaper when you aren't buying new gears and parts every time you drive the car.
I totally agree with DanHS. I've got an L959 converted to brushless, using 1/10 buggy wheels, Trackstar servo and RadioLink TX/RX (see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...857086&page=43). I think I spent more on the L959 with the modifications than what I would pay for a stock RTR Quanum Vandal with shipping. But it was a great learning experience modifying the L959 though. ;-)

Here's the L959 brushless "Track Edition" (with 1/10 buggy wheels) on the track:
WLToys L959 at Segar Track (3 min 45 sec)

Here's the Vandal 4WD:
Quanum Vandal at Segar Track (3 min 3 sec)
kooshking is offline Find More Posts by kooshking
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:01 AM
Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
I have a degree in crashing!
United Arab Emirates
Joined Dec 2014
889 Posts
The track edition does not seem to be that faster than stock. I tried 3S 1300mAh on the stock motor setup and it went crazy.
How much did all the upgrades cost for you? Is the Quanum still going strong?
NoLimitRC is offline Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
Old Jun 29, 2015, 07:31 PM
Find More Posts by kooshking
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Nov 2013
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLimitRC View Post
The track edition does not seem to be that faster than stock. I tried 3S 1300mAh on the stock motor setup and it went crazy.
How much did all the upgrades cost for you? Is the Quanum still going strong?
The stock L959 could not run on the track due to the small stock wheels with no foam inserts. Can't handle the bumpy track and had no traction at all on the loose surface. Using proper 1/10 racing buggy wheels gave it better performance. 3S wouldn't be an advantage for me at this track unless it has more straights and better surface traction.

In any case, the L959 still has the following limitations if you are going to run it on a track:
  1. Motor: The L959 is using a 380 size motor while most other 1/10 buggies use a 540 motor. There are much more choices for 540 motors on the market than 380 sizes. Plus the 540 size is more powerful.
  2. Suspension: The L959 has limited suspension travel even with upgraded shocks.
  3. Weight distribution: The L959 is tail heavy. With 1/10 buggy wheels, it's worse. Had to add plenty of weights up front for it to jump properly.
  4. Battery: The battery compartment for the L959 is tiny, max size Lipo I could squeeze in is a 2200 mah battery. Other buggies take standard shorty or stick packs which are between 4000-7500 mah.
  5. Gears/Clutch: The L959 is using a direct drive from the motor to the wheels. There is no slipper clutch available to allow for any slippage to protect the transmission. Hence, that's why the spur gear and the transmission case seem to wear out faster than a typical 1/10 buggy with slipper clutch.
  6. Size: The L959 is more of a 1/12 scale than a 1/10 scale. So running on a 1/10 track the car looks smaller than the other buggies.
Overall, the cost of the upgrades went primarily to the following items (excluding shipping). Note that I upgraded from a brushed L959:
  • 60A ESC (approx USD 20)
  • 380 Brushless Motor (approx USD 30)
  • Trackstar Pan Car Servo (approx USD 19)
  • Buggy wheels (approx USD 35, I had these lying around from my other buggies)
  • RadioLink TX/RX (approx USD 50, though this can be re-used on other cars that you may have)
  • The L959 car itself (approx USD 100)
  • Parts to convert the front to take in Durango front buggy wheels (approx USD 20)
  • Plus tools to cut the chassis to fit the servo and to enlarge the battery bay
The Vandal (clone of the FTX Vantage) is one of the cheapest RTR 1/10 buggies on the market. The RTR version costs only USD 128 (excluding shipping) and mine is still going strong. Only thing about it is that HobbyKing may be slow to stock up on certain spare parts. If you are more adventurous, go for the Kit version which is costs only USD 64 and choose your own electronics and radio.

FYI, I'm not affiliated to Hobbyking in anyway but I do find that they have reasonably decent cars on the cheap.
kooshking is offline Find More Posts by kooshking
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:15 AM
Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
I have a degree in crashing!
United Arab Emirates
Joined Dec 2014
889 Posts
Thanks for the informative post!!, I think I will get the vandal rather than upgrading this car.
NoLimitRC is offline Find More Posts by NoLimitRC
Old Jul 03, 2015, 07:40 AM
Find More Posts by Adakar
Chile, Araucania, Temuco
Joined Apr 2015
15 Posts
Updates

Ok Since I instaled this kit of gears original wltoys (not black) have no problems with the brushless kit, still have a strange noise like a crank but no signs of damage in the gears (maybe the motor make the sound I donīt know)

Why this gears work better than the black ones no idea.
I find them on ebay, the seller use generic black gear photo, I buy two sets for a very low price.

Cheers
Adakar is online now Find More Posts by Adakar