New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2015, 01:33 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
Thanks... good on ya with your flying posts today.
ruff1 is offline Find More Posts by ruff1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:03 AM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
Ok, finally got my new receiver in, bound; aileron and flap servos are set properly. I'm now ready to cover the outboard wing panels, this will give me the final shape once glued up and set. This will be tricky as I have already installed the mains retract mounting points. These extend down about an inch below the lower wing surface, so I cannot place the wing on a flat surface without some kind of offset. I did some experimenting with pieces of wood, but wasn't really happy with that so I walked away from it for a day or two. Getting the wing leading and trailing edges correct and consistent between both panels is going to be a challenge.
Hindsight tells me that it likely would have been better to wait on the mains mounting points until after the outer wing panels were completed. The 10 degree bend outboard of the nacelles makes it tricky.
I'm thinking a couple of wood pieces fore and aft of the gear mount will work. There is also a very tricky sweep up on the trailing edge from about mid-way up to where the outboard portion of the flap is located; getting these the same will be difficult. I may need to create a foam piece with the necessary angle marked for proper placement will tackle that challenge.
I'll be thinking on this for a bit, I welcome any suggestions to get the wing panels symmetrical.
Thanks,
Kevin
Old Jun 28, 2015, 01:49 PM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
17,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff1 View Post
Ok, finally got my new receiver in, bound; aileron and flap servos are set properly. I'm now ready to cover the outboard wing panels, this will give me the final shape once glued up and set. This will be tricky as I have already installed the mains retract mounting points. These extend down about an inch below the lower wing surface, so I cannot place the wing on a flat surface without some kind of offset. I did some experimenting with pieces of wood, but wasn't really happy with that so I walked away from it for a day or two. Getting the wing leading and trailing edges correct and consistent between both panels is going to be a challenge.
Hindsight tells me that it likely would have been better to wait on the mains mounting points until after the outer wing panels were completed. The 10 degree bend outboard of the nacelles makes it tricky.
I'm thinking a couple of wood pieces fore and aft of the gear mount will work. There is also a very tricky sweep up on the trailing edge from about mid-way up to where the outboard portion of the flap is located; getting these the same will be difficult. I may need to create a foam piece with the necessary angle marked for proper placement will tackle that challenge.
I'll be thinking on this for a bit, I welcome any suggestions to get the wing panels symmetrical.
Thanks,
Kevin
Nice to see your working on your 404 Kevin, thinking & mully over problems is 50% of what we scratchbuilders do Sir.

Instead of wood try a large dictionary or a couple of hard cover books or big stack of printer paper. . . . This will give you a Very flat surface to lay your 404's wing on.
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Very big RC MD-82 & MD-90
Old Jun 28, 2015, 02:31 PM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
Skylar's People
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
1,163 Posts
Not sure I understand... you have the outboard panels installed already, so all you have left is to essentially "skin" the outer wings, right?

If I'm looking at it correctly, you could use thicker material for the top sheeting, you can sand as needed to make final fine adjustments.
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5
Old Jun 28, 2015, 07:53 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
Yes, outboard lower panels and ribs are glued on, I need to position the bottom panel on a flat surface so when I glue on the top panel it won't be warped. Gluing the top panel will set the airfoil in its final position.
I took another look today and figured I could hang the center section and opposite outboard panel over the end of my work surface and support that. This will allow me to get the panel flat.
I'll post some pics as I have it ready for gluing.
DD, I have been using 12 inch ceramic tile to lay on the leading and trailing edges; these seem to flatten out the joints very nicely and keep the pieces together as they are dense, heavy, and low profile. The trickiest part will be the trailing edge near the outer flap edge.
As this is 1/4 FFF, i have plenty of surface to sand out ridges and shape.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 08:22 PM
Find More Posts by cwrr5
Skylar's People
United States, AZ, Marana
Joined Dec 2011
1,163 Posts
Ah, I see now. Thanks
cwrr5 is offline Find More Posts by cwrr5
Old Jul 03, 2015, 08:43 PM
Find More Posts by ruff1
North AL, USA
Joined Nov 2009
2,028 Posts
OK, some progress today.

I recently picked up some BSI foam glue and used that today. It takes 12 full hours to cure so that bites into the build time. I may just go back to Gorilla Glue as I can move to the next gluing in an hour.

As mentioned in my previous post, I positioned the center section and other wing over the end of a pallet I use as a building surface. Supported it and marked where I have it positioned so I can place it in the same location for the other panel. Managed to glue on the top panel, and built in about a 2 degree washout. I had a piece of door weather stripping made out of aluminum, and I just marked that with a sharpie so I can use it on the other panel. I used a combination of old UPS batteries, bagged kitty litter, and ceramic tile to get the edges to lay down flat. I am leaving it all in place until tomorrow.

Also started working on skinning the fuselage. I'm using one big piece for the top and sides from just behind the cockpit to the front of the tail fin. I have it shaped and rough-cut, and finishing will wait until a bit later. I started aft of the big piece above and due to the compound curves I decided to cut and shape pieces corresponding to the stations I created. This is my first attempt at shaping pieces; wow, it takes a bit of practice, but by the fourth one it seemed to get a bit easier.

The pics below aren't all that great...

Kevin
Old Jul 03, 2015, 09:11 PM
Find More Posts by demondriver
Up-Out-&-Gone
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Mar 2007
17,128 Posts
Great progress Kevin, I sometimes roll fan-fold much in the same way with a round object as you have.

Keep at it and eventually your 404 will be finished.
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Very big RC MD-82 & MD-90