HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2015, 02:57 PM
Portland, OR
Joined Nov 2009
574 Posts
Just received my replacement fuse from Tower today...and, guess what....the tail of the fuse is twisted worse than the first one. So, will call Tower again.

I did maiden the first fuse "as somewhat fixed (still a bit twisted)" and it flew awful. Was looking forward to a new fuse, but will have to wait some more. QC seems to be very hit and miss with these guys.

Don
donsinger1 is online now Find More Posts by donsinger1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:32 PM
69roadrunner
United States, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Jun 2014
19 Posts
Don,
Just curious on your Calypso. You have a twisted tail! How did it fly badly? Gene
69roadrunner is offline Find More Posts by 69roadrunner
Old Jan 28, 2015, 07:23 PM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
399 Posts
first Glider

Will buy a Calypso but first I'm going to fly a second hand plane I picked up this past fall "ST330 Easy Fly" 4 channel (REA), any tips before that first toss??
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:28 AM
....left up, right down !!!
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Will buy a Calypso but first I'm going to fly a second hand plane I picked up this past fall "ST330 Easy Fly" 4 channel (REA), any tips before that first toss??
If you have a programmable radio, as I do, I have a good piece of advice...........

When you turn on the transmitter and check the control surfaces for proper movement, make SURE you check that "proper movement" for ailerons is not just that they deflect, but that they deflect in the proper direction!!! IE: left stick, left aileron UP, right aileron DOWN. Not the opposite!
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:46 AM
Foam is my friend!!!
United States, NY, Depew
Joined Mar 2014
399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ory69 View Post
If you have a programmable radio, as I do, I have a good piece of advice...........

When you turn on the transmitter and check the control surfaces for proper movement, make SURE you check that "proper movement" for ailerons is not just that they deflect, but that they deflect in the proper direction!!! IE: left stick, left aileron UP, right aileron DOWN. Not the opposite!
Yeah, been there done that! been flying fixed wing for a few years! but this'll be the first time I'm tossing up a glider with a 2m wing span! have a DX6i, but won't program anything too crazy (flaperons or spoilerons) until I see how she flies (and lands) with a basic low rate set up?

my plan is to go with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle let her gain some altitude and keep inputs to a minimum. will try to stay off the ailerons as much as possible, and plan for a looong glide at landing!??? this is all just practice for the Calypso
NewZee is offline Find More Posts by NewZee
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:16 AM
....left up, right down !!!
United States, OR, Depoe Bay
Joined Nov 2010
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewZee View Post
Yeah, been there done that! been flying fixed wing for a few years! but this'll be the first time I'm tossing up a glider with a 2m wing span! have a DX6i, but won't program anything too crazy (flaperons or spoilerons) until I see how she flies (and lands) with a basic low rate set up?

my plan is to go with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle let her gain some altitude and keep inputs to a minimum. will try to stay off the ailerons as much as possible, and plan for a looong glide at landing!??? this is all just practice for the Calypso
PERFECT! You've got it all figured out. I don't think you'll have a problem at all.
ory69 is offline Find More Posts by ory69
Old Jan 29, 2015, 02:26 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Apr 2014
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rctmpilot View Post
Got a Calypso for Christmas, and had to wait till the first week of January to get it (tower had them on back order till late december...Go figure). Anyhow, I havent had a chance to take it up yet, but I have flown my father-in-law's on many occasions and cant wait! While ive been waiting i did my usual thing and stripped it back to bare nakedness (removed the decals) and painted it up. Ive had a couple gliders in the past and I've learned the necessity of having a dark underwing well. I almost lost one when it thermaled into a cloud and disappeared for about 45 seconds. Which for those of you that have had this happen you know that might as well have been an hour! So at any rate, im hoping to maiden saturday.

Ive also painted the tips on the top of the horizontal stab and the wings the neon orange as well.
Hey that paint job looks awesome! Can you tell me what paint brand and model you used? Thanks.

Fwiw, I had a Calypso with the twisted fuse. It banked left no matter what I tried. I got it trimmed out to be flyable but after the crash I replaced it with a big Radian. Calypso was more fun due to ailerons but the Radian is a more lofty plane and mine has no quality issues.
skawt01 is offline Find More Posts by skawt01
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:35 PM
Joined Oct 2012
23 Posts
Thanks, the neon orange was just krylon acrylic for plastics, and the black is ultra flat rustoleum camouflage. It's safe for plastics too.
rctmpilot is offline Find More Posts by rctmpilot
Last edited by rctmpilot; Jan 29, 2015 at 08:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
69roadrunner
United States, CA, Paso Robles
Joined Jun 2014
19 Posts
What comes with a new Calypso fuse?
69roadrunner is offline Find More Posts by 69roadrunner
Old Yesterday, 10:30 PM
United States, CA, Davis
Joined Apr 2014
18 Posts
Quote: