SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
Joined Jan 2015
4 Posts
Thanks All fer yer timely responses, jabs, and url directions!!

I'd already decided to use EC3 connections for battery to ESC....I like the EC3 design (and they solder easily)
I've a Weller digital iron. Newbie to RC, not new to soldering. Been a tinning boy... since my HeathKit daze in the 60's.

Yep +3 to www.jinguytech.com/reviews/rc-connectors.
He is spot one on all his articles, I've read several of his topics.

Next ?
Low temp vs hi-temp hot melt glue. Confusion has set in...I saw on Flitetest.com last pm..that the open time for hi-temp is much longer.. Their recommendation was h-hi-temp...Somehow I'd gotten the opinion that hi-tem would not work on foamies,
cuz it would melt the foam material.

Comments/suggestions on hi-temp vs lo-temp hot glue.. My 1st two builds are EPP and Depron/EPP materials, which glue, hi or low?
rbmurray is offline Find More Posts by rbmurray
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbmurray View Post
Thanks All fer yer timely responses, jabs, and url directions!!

I'd already decided to use EC3 connections for battery to ESC....I like the EC3 design (and they solder easily)
I've a Weller digital iron. Newbie to RC, not new to soldering. Been a tinning boy... since my HeathKit daze in the 60's.

Yep +3 to www.jinguytech.com/reviews/rc-connectors.
He is spot one on all his articles, I've read several of his topics.

Next ?
Low temp vs hi-temp hot melt glue. Confusion has set in...I saw on Flitetest.com last pm..that the open time for hi-temp is much longer.. Their recommendation was h-hi-temp...Somehow I'd gotten the opinion that hi-tem would not work on foamies,
cuz it would melt the foam material.

Comments/suggestions on hi-temp vs lo-temp hot glue.. My 1st two builds are EPP and Depron/EPP materials, which glue, hi or low?
Neither....

Hot Glue has it's places, and I am NOT disrespecting the Flite Test Crew... but for best results on EPP use Foam Tac or Welders.

Glad to hear you have soldering experience, when changing out the batt connector do everything possible to keep the pos and neg leads separate, do ONLY ONE wire at a time and careful of creating "accidental" circuit.

Mark R.

old_coastie
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,008 Posts
+1 on the EPP. I've used Welders for a long time and began using Foam Tac last year. The Welders yellows and gets brittle. Foam Tac is the way to go. The Flight test methods are great for the foam board planes in their series. I have an F22 and just orders a quick build Viggen for a 64mm Edf project. My daughter (8 )1/2) flies the f22 and they are cheap fun.
With EPP the idea is to keep the joints as flexible as the foam for max durability.
Soldering- also +1 on being careful not to short the batt leads. When starting out taping the "free" lead isn't a bad idea. Good luck and happy modeling.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Yesterday, 10:06 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
10,078 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coastie View Post
Neither....

Hot Glue has it's places, and I am NOT disrespecting the Flite Test Crew... but for best results on EPP use Foam Tac or Welders.

Glad to hear you have soldering experience, when changing out the batt connector do everything possible to keep the pos and neg leads separate, do ONLY ONE wire at a time and careful of creating "accidental" circuit.

Mark R.

old_coastie
Guess what happens when you use steel side cutters to snip the entire connector off, both wires, at the same time!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
1,234 Posts
Oooooooooo you get a pretty light show
ROLLING CIRCLE is online now Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:33 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
10,078 Posts
and if you're lucky, spontaneous incontinence and heart palpitations!!
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Yesterday, 10:46 PM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
828 Posts
Doing some Frankenstein repairs on the edge. Hopefully it will make it threw the season.
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Old Yesterday, 10:49 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Joined Dec 2011
1,234 Posts
Very chunky indeed

Funny thing is, it will fly great... again
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
828 Posts
Foam is from my original rcplanebuilder slicko rudder, the only part of the plane that the foam haddent gone soft from the hundreds of flights on it?
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Old Yesterday, 11:14 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Joined Dec 2011
1,234 Posts
Recycle, I like it! You might need a new prop though... nah, that one matches the plane nicely
RCG Plus Member