HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:36 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
New Product
Introducing Goldwing RC- Electric Extreme Series, 61-in Corvus VG 70E, Video added!

Introducing Goldwing RC- Electric Extreme Series, 61-in Corvus VG 70E

Hello Everyone,

First of all, I need to thank Mr. Paul Xu, the owner of Goldwing RC, for allowing me to release this exciting new plane, 61-in Corvus VG 70E, the first model of Goldwing Electric Extreme Series, which is a new premium line of product developed for hardcore electric 3D pilots.

My involvement in the developing of this plane started when I was back home in China for a 3-week vacation last summer. I visited Zhuhai City of southern China, the global RC manufacturing center, where 90% of the model airplanes that people discuss about on the forum are made. During my RC tours in Zhuhai, I met Paul and we exchanged ideas on model airplanes designing, RC industry and 3D “sport” in North America. After the visit, as we continued our discussion via internet, an idea of devolving a new line of electric 3D airplanes was slowly forged. Then he invited me to test fly the first model and I delightfully accepted.

A few months later, I found a beautifully kit of airplanes with tons of new features and premium accessories lying on the floor of my house. Then it took me quite a few weeks to complete the built and to find proper weather to evaluate the flying characteristics.

After successful maiden and flying it over the last two weekends, I am more and more confident that this is going to be a great new product. As the details of the plane are about to be finalized, I think it’s about time to start a thread to present the Corvus to 3D aerobatics community. (I’ve never done it before, please bear with me if I stutter)

Before I get to unboxing, building , flying and introducing the detail features of the plane, I would like to start with introducing the original Corvus Racer 540 aerobatic airplanes and sharing the specs and some pictures of the model.

Corvus Racer 540

The 61-in Corvus VG 70E is a replicate of Corvus Racer 540, the newest ride of legendary Hungarian pilot, Peter Besenyi. The following text is from Wikipedia

The Corvus Racer 540 is a single-seat, low wing, high performance aerobatic aircraft produced by Corvus Aircraft Ltd in Hungary.

The Corvus Racer 540 was initiated in 2007 when Corvus Aircraft signed a contract with Red Bull for developing a new airplane for Peter Besenyei designed especially for air racing. It was designed by Andras Voloscsuk and the Hungarian University of Aviation.After limited success improving power out of his existing engine, Besenyei decided to focus on the airframe to reduce drag and improve aerodynamic efficiency. The development engineering time was more than 15,000 hours over two years, and the result was an airplane that was "very nice, nice to control" although potentially hindered by a heavy engine.

Specifications (Data from Corvus Aircraft website)

General characteristics

Crew: 1
Wingspan: 24 ft 3 in (7.4 m)
Length: 21 ft 6.7 in (6.571 m)
Height: 8 ft 2 in (2.5 m)
Gross weight: 1,510 lb (685 kg)
Powerplant: 1 × Lycoming AEIO-540 6-cyl air-cooled horizontally-opposed piston engine, 325 hp (242 kW)
Propellers: 3-bladed MTV-9-B
Performance

Cruising speed: 193 mph; 167 kn (310 km/h)
Never exceed speed: 280 mph; 243 kn (450 km/h)
G limits: +12/-12

Besenyei - New Corvus Racer.mov (4 min 51 sec)

Now let's get to the RC model

Goldwing RC- Electric Extreme Series, 61-in Corvus VG 70E

Specifications

Crew: None (pilot remains grounded during flight)
Wingspan: 61 in (1550 mm)
Length: 59 in (1498 m)
Gross weight: 5-6 lb ( 2.3- 2.8 kg)

Power: 5050, 300g, 1000w class brushless outrunner motors.

Motors that will work:
Hengli 5055
Dualsky 5050
Scorpion 4020
Torque 4016T/500
Motrofly 4315
SK3 5045

ESC: 70-100A
Servos: 4 high torque metal gear mini servos (Hitch 5245, 7245)
Batteries: 6S Lipo, 3300-4400 mah (3800 recommended)
Propellers: 500kv 15X8, 450KV 16X8

Available: Match-April, 2014

Photo Gallery

I am still working on the building blog and flying video. Will update periodically . Please stay tuned. Thank you for reading!

Fine print:

•Airframe in the pictures is a prototype, the final retail version may be slightly different.
•It was my personal decision to apply “Breitling 1884” decal on the planes, it will not be pre-applied by Goldwing RC on the retail version.
VR Eyedoc is offline Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Last edited by VR Eyedoc; Dec 04, 2013 at 12:38 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:38 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
prototype test flying videos

Video 1, mixed 3D
Goldwing Electric Extreme Series 60-in Corvus VG 70E Flying Demo by VR Eyedoc (5 min 26 sec)

Video 2, mixed 3D
VR Eye Doc Flies Goldwing 61-in Corvus EX (4 min 56 sec)

Video 3, unedited clip of a flight
Goldwing 61-in Corvus EX - An Unedited Video (6 min 47 sec)
Last edited by VR Eyedoc; Apr 21, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:40 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,530 Posts
looks good. Will this be available in the US?
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:46 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict View Post
looks good. Will this be available in the US?
yes, for sure.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:31 PM
How many planes is too many?
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Aug 2007
3,880 Posts
It looks really, really good! The colour scheme is great and it has a super sleek racer look that I really like! It's nice to see something new that isn't a generic Edge/Extra/MX/Yak. Congratulations on being selected to help out with the flight testing!

I wonder which of the Chinese hybrid EPP manufacturers will be first to make a hybrid EPP model based on the full-scale plane, since I rarely fly balsas these days .
groovejet is offline Find More Posts by groovejet
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:41 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,101 Posts
Okay I want one!
Nice ....

fred
Flazo is offline Find More Posts by Flazo
Old Nov 23, 2013, 05:47 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,101 Posts
I would like to know if it has a reinforced landing gear plate and a tail wheel assembly like the 59 inch slick from 3dhobbyshop. Why? because these planes take a lot of abuse in this area!
Thank you

fred
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:04 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flazo View Post
I would like to know if it has a reinforced landing gear plate and a tail wheel assembly like the 59 inch slick from 3dhobbyshop. Why? because these planes take a lot of abuse in this area!
Thank you

fred
Hi Fred, Here are some pictures of landing gear plate and tail whell assembly. the landing gear area is the strongest I've ever seen in this class. more details coming up shortly.

Mike

Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet View Post
It looks really, really good!
I wonder which of the Chinese hybrid EPP manufacturers will be first to make a hybrid EPP model based on the full-scale plane, since I rarely fly balsas these days .
Thanks Jet, make a guess, there are only two of them.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:03 PM
JUNK RADIO
USA, NY, Queens
Joined Dec 2006
3,101 Posts
Thank you Looks Great!

fred
Old Nov 24, 2013, 01:52 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,344 Posts
Wow, I have to say I'm conflicted about this plane? I've been wanting a Corvus racer in this size. I really do like it, but due to the fact EF is the leader in this size, and category, it seems to me that it would be a gamble buying this plane over a EXP. Being a new category for Goldwing, what are the odds the quality, and flight characteristics are as good? Unless it's considerably cheaper? which I doubt, I can't see buying one?

BTW, Great job on the thread, there's a lot of good information!
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic
Old Nov 24, 2013, 02:30 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
ohio
Joined Oct 2010
4,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Mechanic View Post
Wow, I have to say I'm conflicted about this plane? I've been wanting a Corvus racer in this size. I really do like it, but due to the fact EF is the leader in this size, and category, it seems to me that it would be a gamble buying this plane over a EXP. Being a new category for Goldwing, what are the odds the quality, and flight characteristics are as good? Unless it's considerably cheaper? which I doubt, I can't see buying one?

BTW, Great job on the thread, there's a lot of good information!
I have no clue how this plane flys or its quality. And none of us will until it is released. So i think it would be best to not put the plane down, or talk it up until they are for sale.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Nov 24, 2013, 02:56 PM
They call me Dan
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined Jan 2013
324 Posts
Competition is good!
sc4dr is offline Find More Posts by sc4dr
Old Nov 24, 2013, 03:04 PM
Some.. call him Tim...
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Oct 2008
6,344 Posts
I'm not putting the plane down at all, just making an observation. I think I said quite pleasant things about the plane. I do hope their pricing reflects their experience in this category, I think that would help them quite a bit. I wouldn't rule out buying one

Agreed, competition is good. I do wish them the best of luck.
Ducati Mechanic is online now Find More Posts by Ducati Mechanic