HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2013, 01:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
901 Posts
Help!
Foam Hinge Repair; How To

I have an aileron foam hinge that ripped apart. 7 or 8 inches long.

Can I glue it.?? If not, how do I repair it.??
PiperRon is offline Find More Posts by PiperRon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2013, 02:14 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,189 Posts
i use packing tape for torn hinges. may not look as pretty though.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:00 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,218 Posts
You can buy a glue called Foam Tac that is more than strong enough that you can simply glue it back on. It is flexible so it will act as the hinge and strong enough you can hang the whole airplane by the aileron if you wish.
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 28, 2013, 03:01 PM
Joined Feb 2013
901 Posts
I've used tape too. Thing is this hinge is relatively deep under the wing where I want to hinge it.

I just lined it with glue. If movement is restricted I'll just cut it and try again.
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined May 2012
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperRon View Post

PiperRon--- In your same situation I completely cut away the aileron and reattached it with contact cement--- a tip I learned from Steve at Killer Planes. The glued hinge will be sealed and just as flexible as the foam (perhaps more so)--- and about 10 times as strong. I've actually cut away all the control surfaces on one plane and re-glued them all in this way pre-emptively, and NEVER EVER had a problem with torn hinges again--- even after more than 80 flights.

Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old Oct 28, 2013, 08:40 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,200 Posts
One word: Blenderm.
Awesome stuff and you'll wonder how you did without it.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 28, 2013, 11:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
901 Posts
Thanks all. I used Gorilla glue and seems to have worked. I fly tomorrow so I will report back.
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:45 AM
Joined Aug 2013
108 Posts
Quote:

Glue doesn't flex. I wouldn't glue it or you will have a non functional aileron or a broken seam the first time it moves.

I ripped an aileron on my PZ Extra 300, I bought some masking tape and orange acrylic paint from the craft section at Walmart. I taped the hinge on both sides and painted it. It's held up remarkably well and you can't tell that it's even been repaired with it painted.
tyhollin is offline Find More Posts by tyhollin
Old Oct 29, 2013, 01:27 AM
Joined May 2012
266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyhollin View Post
Glue doesn't flex. I wouldn't glue it or you will have a non functional aileron or a broken seam the first time it moves.
Tyhollin--- Contact cement is a permanent bond that is at least as flexible as the original foam hinge. And like I said, it's much much stronger. If there is ever a tear it in the future it won't be along the re-glued seam. I agree that regular Gorilla glue, epoxy, and a lot of other glues would produce a rigid seam, but contact cement is the ticket for this kind of repair. I cut the control surface away from the airplane along an irregular line so it can be mated back together exactly, then apply a bead of contact cement along each surface. Wait 15 minutes or so and then carefully fit and press the two pieces together. And there you have it--- an instant, permanent, and flexible bond. Wait a few minutes and then flex the control surface all you want to loosen it up.

Tom
black6088 is offline Find More Posts by black6088
Old Oct 29, 2013, 07:34 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
I'd be suprised if the Gorilla glue is flexible enough for a hinge.

FoamTac makes great ones. Temporarily attach the two surfaces together on the back (non-hinged) side with masking tape. Then lay down a strip of maskning tape on the front side, parallel to the hinge line and about 3/8" from the line. Run a bead of FoamTac down the line and then smooth it out by running the edge of an old credit card like a squeege spanning the two pieces of tape. Then pull the tape off and let the FaomTac setup. The hinge is strong, durable and very flexible.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Oct 29, 2013, 10:27 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,741 Posts
Cut away foam control surface and smooth edges with sand paper, use X-Acto to make hinge slots in control surface and wing. Smear white glue onto one side of CYA type hinge and insert into slot. Insert a pin through control surface and hinge. Smear white glue on remaining part of CYA hinge and insert into slot in wing and push a pin through wing and hinge. Remove any excess glue from hinge bend area. You can also use nylon pinned hinges but don't get any glue in the rotating hinge parts. You can cut off and leave pins in place or remove them and glue in toothpicks for added security against hinges pulling out.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 29, 2013, 12:44 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,478 Posts
With EPO type foam, I have done a significant number of foam hinge repairs in the field using nothing more than regular CA, usually the thin type. (Most of you know that you do not need foam safe CA for most EPO type foams.)

Simply glue the broken hinge line back together with the CA. The hinge will still work freely, bending the foam adjacent to the repair.

I have had this repair last for years on some smaller foamies, but with larger ones I typically do the field repair, fly it for the rest of the day and then rehinge the damaged surface at home with CA type hinges, pin type hinges, or with some other permanent system.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Oct 29, 2013, 01:54 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,200 Posts
Quote:
Thanks all. I used Gorilla glue and seems to have worked. I fly tomorrow so I will report back.
Who said to use Gorilla Glue? (rhetorical question)
There's a reason nobody did. It doesn't flex and foams up into a large fillet.

You asked a question but went your own way anyway?

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Oct 29, 2013, 04:13 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,933 Posts
you can use a really thin strip of hot melt to repair a torn hinge.

Hot Melt Hinges for EPP Airplanes (6 min 53 sec)
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740