HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2013, 07:26 PM
Joined Sep 2013
78 Posts
Discussion
APM versus OpenPilot

Can someone run me through the pro/cons? Especially someone who has experience with both...

I like the idea of a GPS mode, setting way-points and being able to take over manual, vibrant open source community, telemetry, return to home in case of loss of signal / button press, sbus (Futaba), etc.

Thanks for the help,

Erik
gnapoleon is offline Find More Posts by gnapoleon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2013, 01:36 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
The only openpilot board that you can buy at present is the cc3d, it doesn't have any GPS capabilities(telemetry maybe?)it's a basic acro board.
The revo isn't available to the public yet and as yet still doesn't have many GPS functionalities for users who adopted it in the kickstarter release.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Sep 28, 2013, 02:23 AM
Joined May 2011
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob69 View Post
The only openpilot board that you can buy at present is the cc3d, it doesn't have any GPS capabilities(telemetry maybe?)it's a basic acro board.
The revo isn't available to the public yet and as yet still doesn't have many GPS functionalities for users who adopted it in the kickstarter release.
It sounds like Open Pilot should just close up shop ans the true talents over there should joint forces with 3DR.

They do not seem to have their crap together at all
chipp is offline Find More Posts by chipp
Old Sep 29, 2013, 07:12 AM
United States, IA, Cedar Rapids
Joined Aug 2011
11 Posts
If you want everything that you listed... go with the APM.
cczeets is offline Find More Posts by cczeets
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:49 PM
FPV Enthusiast
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2004
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipp View Post
It sounds like Open Pilot should just close up shop ans the true talents over there should joint forces with 3DR.

They do not seem to have their crap together at all

You do not understand OP at all.
martinic is offline Find More Posts by martinic
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:37 PM
Hovership
United States, CA, Cupertino
Joined Aug 2010
999 Posts
The revo is for sale now at store.openpilot.org. However, the GPS related code is not available to the public. I have a revo set from the original kickstarter purchase but I am not a dev, so I am waiting for some of these features to become available.
3rdeyepro is offline Find More Posts by 3rdeyepro
Old Sep 29, 2013, 02:42 PM
Joined Feb 2011
1,060 Posts
You can track the progress of the code somewhat here: http://git.openpilot.org/

The GPS-related features have been shown working in various videos/demos. The key is to get it polished for public beta release.
BayAreaCrasher is online now Find More Posts by BayAreaCrasher
Old Sep 29, 2013, 04:00 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,871 Posts
i have apm and it s very good board.
it flyhing very well and gps mode are incredible good than my dji and better for some features
openpilote seem to be good but i think we need to wait a long time before to see all same features than arducopter..on top of that you could get one for almost nothing on rctimer(for less than 140usd free shipping with gps,telemetrie and board)
titeuf007 is online now Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Oct 06, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined May 2011
387 Posts
I'd also throw out there Quanton and Tau Labs as an alternative to OpenPilot. It's the fork the original OP developers made and much more actively developed.

That being said (as a long standing OP/TL dev) APM is further along in terms of features and scale of community.
peabody124 is offline Find More Posts by peabody124