Old May 30, 2013, 05:55 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
New Product
E-Flite C-Ray 180 flying wing

http://www.modelflight.com.au/e-flit...ml#prettyPhoto

Wondering if that could be turned into a nice ultra-micro FPV setup...
RealGambler is online now Find More Posts by RealGambler
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2013, 01:30 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
I saw that, I'm not sold.
I mean OK it's a cheap and cheerful 3-channel flying wing, except it's not that cheap: £62 and I have to provide receiver, battery and charger.

Also I don't understand the battery requirement, 430–450mAh (20C minimum) when that same motor (Park 180 2500kV) does fine on 180mA in the Carbon Cub?

How crash-resistant is Z-foam? Does it compare to EPP or EPS?
Pouncer is offline Find More Posts by Pouncer
Old May 30, 2013, 01:47 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post
I mean OK it's a cheap and cheerful 3-channel flying wing, except it's not that cheap: £62 and I have to provide receiver, battery and charger.

Also I don't understand the battery requirement, 430–450mAh (20C minimum) when that same motor (Park 180 2500kV) does fine on 180mA in the Carbon Cub?

Agreed, without the receiver, it's somewhat expensive. But I've been looking at converting one of my UM(X) airplane into a small and portable FPV rig. I already have a few receivers, including some old AR6300. And I would use two UMX batteries (something like 180mah to 300mah, times two), in the wings (on both side). Wings may not be thick enough, but hoping it will be ok, even if the batteries protrude a little bit. The room saved inside the cockpit would then be good enough for a small FPV camera and Vtx. It does look a lot like the X5 or X8, but that would fit in a box, hopefully, with the VTx antenna already in. The UM Stryker as a very narrow cockpit, but this one look great, fpv wise. Otherwise, the Stryker was a much better deal (at least on paper, for now)
Old May 30, 2013, 04:11 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
Agreed, without the receiver, it's somewhat expensive. But I've been looking at converting one of my UM(X) airplane into a small and portable FPV rig..
So have I, and I also have a 6300 in the spares box. But there are so many options out there, Hobby King has wings in that size, the AP03 is roughly equivalent of the Park 180, ESC's and servos are cheap.
MS Composit makes a micro version of their Swift that - I can attest - flies very well. And it's unbreakable EPP.
Here's the thread over in the Flying Wings forum.

But I feel any micro FPV project is begging for AS3X, and that rules out flying wings for the time being.
Old May 30, 2013, 04:39 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,452 Posts
What can I say, I'm a box guy, and this thing fit neatly in a very small box. I do agree with you though, AS3X would be such a great asset for a small FPV airplane thought. But hey, this one should be able to carry a decent payload. Again, the only thing that will worry me will be fitting a decent antenna in it and still be able to close the box.
Old May 30, 2013, 08:25 PM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,561 Posts
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...80-pnp-EFL3075

Don't know if I like it or nt.

Needed To Complete
- 4+ channel transmitter with elevon mixing
- 4+ channel receiver
- 7.4V 2S 430–450mAh (20C minimum) LiPo flight battery
- Charger for flight battery

Why no Rx??

Sure hope my new Inverza comes with a receiver.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old May 30, 2013, 10:56 PM
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,369 Posts
Combat plane? Start a new fad?

Weird, this is QQ power plant and lipo... Bigger than the baby Stryker, but minus the rudder. Love the size, hate that it will be bank and yank only.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Old May 31, 2013, 10:48 AM
OY-5542
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Silkeborg
Joined Nov 2009
726 Posts
Like others: I don't know how much I like it... or not.

At the given prize, without receiver nor battery, it's hard for me to tell what it has to offer to make it interesting. There are plenty of other small wings out there and it is also dead simple to make one yourself, so why this one??
Also, being only bank and yank, this doesn't seem to come even close to replacing the Stryker.
About its supposed ability to carry payloads... It seems to me that it is a common thing for flying wings... In example, my 60cm wingspan version of the "Dead-Simple-Wing", using the Park 180, can easily carry a 3s 1200mah as flight-pack and still perform very well (I can easily use packs ranging from 2s 500mah to 2s 1350mah, or 3s 350mah to 3s 1200mah and still enjoy the flying-characteristics fully... and this is only limited by what packs I've got on hands)... So its supposed payload capability doesn't bring anything new to me either

I don't get what this wing has to offer us?
Chrizz is offline Find More Posts by Chrizz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Oxy 0.5
Old May 31, 2013, 11:38 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined May 2012
50 Posts
That seems incredibly expensive for what you are getting. I mean, I understand that eflite micro offerings are all sold at a premium, but $120 for something you could cobble together with like $50 in HK parts seems really excessive. (WingWing Z-84 anyone?)
MrPnut is offline Find More Posts by MrPnut
Old May 31, 2013, 02:16 PM
Enjoying life through flight
Joined Mar 2012
240 Posts
As I see it, the C-Ray is incredibly simple as it was designed to be, like other small flying wings on the market. It doesn't offer anything performance wise (if you want a performing flying wing look at the stryker) but it does offer the durability of z-foam. Having little mass and z-foam, this one's going to be tough to break. It also could be a flying wing trainer. As for the price, it is a little expensive. But you do get the outstanding customer support from Horizon and a detailed manual (even though there's no assembly). This just fills another gap for Horizon. Looks good to me for everyday fun flying! And probably a great fpv platform as the payload is decent.
BigEast is offline Find More Posts by BigEast
Old May 31, 2013, 03:18 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouncer View Post

It's is not the same motor, if you look it is much wider than the one used in the umxs, a couple of you guys seem a little confused there by similar specs. It looks like a new motor. Look at all the pictures and you'll see.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old May 31, 2013, 04:39 PM
Life begins at 40
Canada, ON, Guelph
Joined Jun 2012
665 Posts
well, it's cheap, it wouldn't be that hard to add rudder
addictedtoplanes is offline Find More Posts by addictedtoplanes
Old May 31, 2013, 06:22 PM
Wanton construction
Stockholm Sweden
Joined Sep 2006
954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
It's is not the same motor, if you look it is much wider than the one used in the umxs, a couple of you guys seem a little confused there by similar specs. It looks like a new motor. Look at all the pictures and you'll see.
What makes you say that?
It's a 180-size brushless, a 2500kV wind, it swings a 4.5 x 4 prop, draws no more than 3 Amps.
And it looks exactly the same to me, not wider.
In what way is it different from the 180's we've seen on previous UMX's?
Old May 31, 2013, 06:41 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,086 Posts
From parts listing
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLM7005
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old May 31, 2013, 09:57 PM
United States, GA, Grayson
Joined Mar 2008
506 Posts
How does the ESC connect to the AR6300?

Edit: Nevermind...now I see the "throttle" plug.

Anyways, I'm not sure I'm into this one. I have plenty of um/umx bricks and HK orange RX's laying around, but nothing like the AR6300. So I would have to hope HK actually has one of their orange microlites in stock, or pay $50 for a Spektrum, on top of the $100 wing. No thanks
tripleup05 is offline Find More Posts by tripleup05
Last edited by tripleup05; May 31, 2013 at 10:04 PM.