HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 02:25 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Discussion
Just ordered carboncore h6 950. Help with motor/esc choice?

I'm almost getting buyer's remorse, but then again, you get what you pay for, so I should be happy with the purchase. The reviews for that frame.... absolutely excellent.

So anyways, I decided to do this the smart way. Start with cheap HK quad, and learn to fly well. Then, slowly piece together nice hexa in the mean time. I ordered the frame first.

I have a futaba 8fg super (heli version) for my tx/rx. I'm going to use naza-m with gps for flight controller. (haven't purchased yet)

As far as motors... I'm thinking something around 2814 700kv would be ok? Or will I need more since I opted for the gigantic 950mm frame?

What about brand? I've been researching all night and haven't found anything definitive. I see that tiger and avroto are considered to be "reliable" but others claim the cheaper sunsky ones are just as good for half the cost. Is this true?

With a four digit hexa in the air, I'm ok with spending more to get good reliable parts.

What about speed controllers? Are the F-30A's flashed with simonk considered "reliable"? If not, or if they don't have the balls to drive an appropriate motor for this frame, what are some options?

Thanks! I'm super excited and also super sad that I have too many expensive hobbies.

EDIT: I should mention, because I know I'll get asked: It'll be for AP and also for fun heavy lifting (lift case of beer when friends ask me what the point of the thing is, just to show off [in a safe manner of course]) I don't need it to lift a person or anything, but it would be cool to have some lofty payload capabilities. I have a hero3 black right now, but will mount a dslr once I feel comfy with everything. (assuming I find a nice gimbal I can afford)
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:15 AM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
I'm thinking Avroto 2814-11 for the motors, and F-40A's flashed with simonk firmware. Thoughts?

I mean from what I gather, nearly all esc's are rebrands of other esc's, most of which are chinese. Few decent ones that are american made, like caste, are triple the price. From the sounds of it, HK esc's with simonk seem to be the best bang for buck deal. I haven't hear anyone mention them being unreliable either.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:31 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2012
242 Posts
I have the carboncore with avrotos, graupner props, turnigy 40 esc's, with parallel 4s 5000 lipos, and the futaba setup. However I have the wkm, not the naza. Total is around 7-8 pounds with the gimbal and camera attached and I can get 8 minutes before first warning flashes and 12 before second red starts flashing.

Only thing I am thinking about changing at this point is the LG/gimbal so that I can carry a bigger camera. Love the frame and how it folds when I travel. And the option to get bigger motors/props is always there if I need it.
simonsay is offline Find More Posts by simonsay
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:10 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsay View Post
I have the carboncore with avrotos, graupner props, turnigy 40 esc's, with parallel 4s 5000 lipos, and the futaba setup. However I have the wkm, not the naza. Total is around 7-8 pounds with the gimbal and camera attached and I can get 8 minutes before first warning flashes and 12 before second red starts flashing.

Only thing I am thinking about changing at this point is the LG/gimbal so that I can carry a bigger camera. Love the frame and how it folds when I travel. And the option to get bigger motors/props is always there if I need it.
awesome, i'll look into the avrotos. they seem to be a decent price for being a reliable brand (cheaper than tiger and others)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Dec 2012
242 Posts
I was thinking originally to go with the tigers as well, but I really didn't see any reason not to go with the avrotos with this payload. Motors have always been cool to the touch, and esc's warm at most.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:18 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
I was thinking originally to go with the tigers as well, but I really didn't see any reason not to go with the avrotos with this payload. Motors have always been cool to the touch, and esc's warm at most.
did you flash the esc's? and what size motors did you end up with? (if you don't mind me asking)
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Dec 2012
242 Posts
Got them from rc-drones.com --
Here are the motors:
http://www.rc-drones.com/Avroto-M2814-11S.php

and here are the esc's:
http://www.rc-drones.com/TURNIGY-40ampESC.php

No flashing or anything.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 01:25 PM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
Quote:
Got them from rc-drones.com --
Here are the motors:
http://www.rc-drones.com/Avroto-M2814-11S.php

and here are the esc's:
http://www.rc-drones.com/TURNIGY-40ampESC.php

No flashing or anything.
oh wow, that's awesome that they're working that well for you without updated firmware. that's pretty much the exact motor i'm getting. looks to be good price for performance
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:28 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,035 Posts
Look at Z06 Tony's builds. He uses the carbon core frames. he answered on one of your other threads about pins.
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:30 AM
Too Many Thread Subscriptions
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Jul 2012
2,035 Posts
Oh and that's his store linked above
TheFernMan is online now Find More Posts by TheFernMan
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:30 AM
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
I ordered some 2814-11s avrotos today, and playing around in ecalc... I'm starting to regret my purchase.

Do you think 4008-18 tigermotor (380kv i believe) would be a better option? In ecalc the numbers seem much happier with 6s and a larger prop. The flight/hover times are almost triple that of the setup I ordered.

Also, lets say that ends up being a better option and I cancel my order and order the 4008's instead.... would the F-40A (hobbyking) ESC flashed with simonk be worthy of handling 6s setup? (HK says 2-6s for lipo) That motor supposedly pulls less than 10 amps at max throttle. I guess that's the benefit of going the 6s route. More power, slower props (less noise and vibration I'd bet), and longer flight times (more efficient I'd assume).

Thoughts? Any other suggestions? Am I perfectly fine with the 2814-11's? (will just throw on gopro black for now but want to throw the ol DSLR on after I'm really comfortable and want better flight times. (and reliability)

EDIT: ok now that I look at the numbers, the 4008-18 doesn't really make much more thrust. the biggest difference aside from price, is the fact that it draws much less current.
Last edited by serrated; Feb 18, 2013 at 03:59 AM.