Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
Drift advice

Hello, I am new to the hobby and am looking to build or buy a drift car, i already have a power system and radio system, any advise for a cheapish drift car setup?
Thankyou
tchaterlea is offline Find More Posts by tchaterlea
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:04 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Hummmm. I think 3Racing (#KIT-SAKURA-S) SAKURA ZERO S 1/10 Touring Car is a cheap good car, just in my opinion...

I think this kind of belt drive car requires nice clean surface, otherwise rock or stuff might damage the belt? Correct me if I'm wrong...
lawjie is offline Find More Posts by lawjie
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:31 AM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaterlea View Post
Hello, I am new to the hobby and am looking to build or buy a drift car, i already have a power system and radio system, any advise for a cheapish drift car setup?
Thankyou
What is your budget ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjie View Post
Hummmm. I think 3Racing (#KIT-SAKURA-S) SAKURA ZERO S 1/10 Touring Car is a cheap good car, just in my opinion...

I think this kind of belt drive car requires nice clean surface, otherwise rock or stuff might damage the belt? Correct me if I'm wrong...
That looks like a pretty good car for the price.A smooth surface is preferable for any on-road car. A shaft driven car is not as likely to have that problem. I run my Nitro 4 Tec on my street and had a rock or two in the belt but it is not a real big deal if you catch it early. The only car of theirs I saw up close was the F109 . It looked real good and if this is as good as that car It is a cheap way to get into it. The big thing as always is getting parts. The three on road cars I have are real easy to get parts for. That for me is first thing I think about
when look at a car.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Thankyou guys for the advice, do you know if the 3 racing kit would be difficult to get parts for and will it set up to be a decent drift car?
Thankyou
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:30 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
I don't know how hard they are to get parts Your going to be mail ordering for sure. Ebay has a bunch of stuff on their site.

http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/parts...arts_p_id=4416

Now if your local hobby store is an Integy dealer they may be able to get stuff for you. I might check.
http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...6#.USFz3PLEaPQ
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Thanks. it seems like i could find them online if needs be so thats good. do you run the sakura d3 cs?
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:16 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
No Sorry I have a Tamiya TT01 The only brand of there cars I got my hot little hands were the F 109 it looked pretty good.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined Feb 2013
4 Posts
Is that a good drift car?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:46 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,791 Posts
If you're just starting out with drifting a TT01 is a great option. They're relatively cheap, and easy to find parts for.

You don't need a $300 chassis to slide around, just a motor and some hard tires.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Feb 18, 2013, 08:44 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tchaterlea View Post
Is that a good drift car?
I haven't drifted it yet there is still snow on the ground. But overall it is a good platform for drifting or a spec class racing. The local track has a class like that and a lot of people are running them. My biggest gripe on that car is the gearbox's are molded into the chassis. The shock towers are attached to the top of the gear box. When you break the shock towers you can destroy the rear of the gear box. To fix it you have to buy a whole new chassis. Good thing they are around $9.00 to $12.00 depending where you shop. The plastic is a bit brittle. Some versions of the car come without bearings that is the first thing any car needs. There is a mountain of upgrades and spare parts for this car. Overall a thumbs up from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
If you're just starting out with drifting a TT01 is a great option. They're relatively cheap, and easy to find parts for.

You don't need a $300 chassis to slide around, just a motor and some hard tires.
Exactly! I never could see a big advantage on those pricey chassis for drifting.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:52 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Dec 2012
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mredzadventure View Post
I haven't drifted it yet there is still snow on the ground. But overall it is a good platform for drifting or a spec class racing. The local track has a class like that and a lot of people are running them. My biggest gripe on that car is the gearbox's are molded into the chassis. The shock towers are attached to the top of the gear box. When you break the shock towers you can destroy the rear of the gear box. To fix it you have to buy a whole new chassis. Good thing they are around $9.00 to $12.00 depending where you shop. The plastic is a bit brittle. Some versions of the car come without bearings that is the first thing any car needs. There is a mountain of upgrades and spare parts for this car. Overall a thumbs up from me.

Exactly! I never could see a big advantage on those pricey chassis for drifting.
o.O is it yours just TT01 with no E or other spec? Because my TT01E has gear boxes that are separate parts from the chassis. And by "The plastic is a bit brittle", do you mean this specific one TT01, or referring to all the plastic made is brittle compare to others? I am just asking because I know there's carbon fiber kind of materials for the car chassis and parts, and I want to know which is more solid....plastic or carbon fiber or whatever materials that are generally used in rc cars
lawjie is offline Find More Posts by lawjie
Old Feb 19, 2013, 08:58 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawjie View Post
o.O is it yours just TT01 with no E or other spec? Because my TT01E has gear boxes that are separate parts from the chassis. And by "The plastic is a bit brittle", do you mean this specific one TT01, or referring to all the plastic made is brittle compare to others? I am just asking because I know there's carbon fiber kind of materials for the car chassis and parts, and I want to know which is more solid....plastic or carbon fiber or whatever materials that are generally used in rc cars
I have the standard TT01 I'm pretty sure the TT01E uses the same chassis It is hard yo tell look at it close.I had a few people tell me too stay away from the carbon fiber chassis. Carbon has less flex but it is expensive. I think a carbon chassis is $80.00 or so and the tub is $12.00. The materials used depends on the platform. Most high end touring cars and oval cars are all carbon while an off road truck may have mostly plastic pieces. The plastic on the TT01 seems a bit brittle compared to my TC3. I will have to see how durable or fragile the cars is once all this stupid snow is gone.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:23 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post

And a locked rear diff (generally, a free but extremely useful modification).

If you're getting tires, HPI T-Drifts are an excellent choice
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:23 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2013
31 Posts
You can buy a Tamiya or HPI RC drift car.
charles007 is offline Find More Posts by charles007
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:13 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2013
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles007 View Post
You can buy a Tamiya or HPI RC drift car.
thanks Charles for the link. I was looking for a drift RC car but I don't really know which one will be best to start with.
adam911 is offline Find More Posts by adam911
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)