HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 30, 2013, 12:10 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2002
921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
This just shows you how little you know about turbines and Jetjoe engines. The Jetjoe 1400 was a straight copy of a Wren MW54. He bought a kit and the plans from Wren and just copied it without permission. He used the Xicoy ecu to start with, then without permission, ported the software onto a copy of the ECU. The next engine he bought out was the 1800 which was a copy of a Simjet and the JJJ was a copy of a Lambert. I was involved with Mike Murphy developing the MW54 so do know what I am talking about. The MW54 has nothing to do with the KJ66. It is a new design that took many hours to get running. It is not a scaled down KJ66. None of the engines use turbine wheels derived from car turbos. The KJ66 turbine wheel was first developed by Jesus Artes and Wren developed the 54 wheel and had it cast.

The Jetjoe engines have suffered from poor performance and reliability mainly because the owner did not know or care what was important to achieve performance or reliability. I only rarely see a Jetjoe engine in the UK, though did have a 1400 in my workshop recently that I was asked to look at. It had been recased and sold as an independent engine. The chamber was stainless steel and was 'toast' after only a few hours running, the glow boss had come detached and the swirl jets were loose and one had got stuck in the turbine wheel. The balance was very poor and not a good advert for the brand.

The few JJJ engines I have seen in the UK have stopped running and have been abandoned by the owners.

John
John............You say Im's BS artist. I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the exact details. But maybe you should tell the full truth. It's amazing how fast you got on here to make you rebuttel. I'm sure crison01 had somethinf to do with it. I'm not sure you recall, but at one time you were looking at my company
( SouthEast Model products) to rep you. But you went to Larry Wofl. I had no problem with that. But in the mean time you screwed over the Dennis F, who did all the work getting turbines approved by the AMA. You and Mike did a lot for the turbine industry, but I know you got PiXXed off when it started getting copied. There were turbines being made before WREN even existed, and I know for a fact that supercharger turbines were used. There were a number of articals written in the 70's. So don't tell I'm all wrong. In fact there was a turbine made for a guy at Garrett that uses the same technology, So who copied who. There was also a axil flow turbine made in the early 80's called the Baby Mamba, if I remember correctly it was 5" or 6", and was made here in the US. As for the JJ turbines. When they first came out they were junk. But he did the same thing everyone else did, copied what was already out there. As you said he used the wrong material. The new owner is fixing all the problems. Your real issue is competition, well thats the way it goes. I had the same problem when someone here took my micro retracts and sent them to china to be copied. SO before you hop on your high horse, look back at yourself.
LJE4357 is offline Find More Posts by LJE4357
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
Dude what are you ranting about... Crisom01 is me and John Wright is John Wright.. There is no conspiracy here.

John...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJE4357 View Post
John............You say Im's BS artist. I'll be the first to admit I don't know all the exact details. But maybe you should tell the full truth. It's amazing how fast you got on here to make you rebuttel. I'm sure crison01 had somethinf to do with it. I'm not sure you recall, but at one time you were looking at my company
( SouthEast Model products) to rep you. But you went to Larry Wofl. I had no problem with that. But in the mean time you screwed over the Dennis F, who did all the work getting turbines approved by the AMA. You and Mike did a lot for the turbine industry, but I know you got PiXXed off when it started getting copied. There were turbines being made before WREN even existed, and I know for a fact that supercharger turbines were used. There were a number of articals written in the 70's. So don't tell I'm all wrong. In fact there was a turbine made for a guy at Garrett that uses the same technology, So who copied who. There was also a axil flow turbine made in the early 80's called the Baby Mamba, if I remember correctly it was 5" or 6", and was made here in the US. As for the JJ turbines. When they first came out they were junk. But he did the same thing everyone else did, copied what was already out there. As you said he used the wrong material. The new owner is fixing all the problems. Your real issue is competition, well thats the way it goes. I had the same problem when someone here took my micro retracts and sent them to china to be copied. SO before you hop on your high horse, look back at yourself.
crisom01 is offline Find More Posts by crisom01
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
407 Posts
Larry

All I have done is set out the facts so you are aware of them. I did not call you names and have no idea what you are talking about.

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:41 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKiMegaFan View Post
Yes, the power is at the limit for a good take off...probably with a kolibri T25 the flight could be more reactive ! :-) But it's my first time, so it's not important the fast, I prefer the turbine works well...and I wish to fly and not playing with bearings every time !
Btw, I have an L39 light version CModels, and I wish to buy a turbine for it...is the 1400 more good respect to the Junior or are there the same problems?
As you see the jetjoe engines are a hot topic haha. They are a good start for someone willing to rebuild and change parts but if you want trouble free running out of the box look at the Kingtech range of turbines. They are basic but do work very well. I would compare performance and durability with Jetcat if not better.
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
I wound up picking up a used JetJoe 1800. I have not had any issues with it. I think these motors are a mixed bag. If you get a good one that has been properly worked over then they have potential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
As you see the jetjoe engines are a hot topic haha. They are a good start for someone willing to rebuild and change parts but if you want trouble free running out of the box look at the Kingtech range of turbines. They are basic but do work very well. I would compare performance and durability with Jetcat if not better.
crisom01 is offline Find More Posts by crisom01
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:49 PM
Virtute Siderum tenus
MoKiMegaFan's Avatar
San Marcello P.se - Italy
Joined Jun 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
As you see the jetjoe engines are a hot topic haha. They are a good start for someone willing to rebuild and change parts but if you want trouble free running out of the box look at the Kingtech range of turbines. They are basic but do work very well. I would compare performance and durability with Jetcat if not better.
ya, oh my God ! A bomb should do less damage !

Please, peace and love !

Someone tells Black, others White...I think Grey could be the right...but at the end it's true that there is not an high number of jjj owners...I hope I can resolve my problems step by step...I wish to arrive to at least 10 hours without put hands over. Am I asking too much ?
MoKiMegaFan is offline Find More Posts by MoKiMegaFan
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2013, 12:26 AM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKiMegaFan View Post
I wish to arrive to at least 10 hours without put hands over. Am I asking too much ?
As it seems yes. There are only a handfull of people in the world capable of getting a micro turbine like this to work. Where Lambert, Wright and Stouten are the most common names and only Lambert are selling engines. (yes Jetcat too, the P20 do run now days even if down on power comapred to what the other guys mentioned can do)

I don't know if littlepiston got his JJJ running reliable now?
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 01, 2013, 02:07 AM
Virtute Siderum tenus
MoKiMegaFan's Avatar
San Marcello P.se - Italy
Joined Jun 2008
11 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
As it seems yes. There are only a handfull of people in the world capable of getting a micro turbine like this to work. Where Lambert, Wright and Stouten are the most common names and only Lambert are selling engines. (yes Jetcat too, the P20 do run now days even if down on power comapred to what the other guys mentioned can do)

I don't know if littlepiston got his JJJ running reliable now?
S**t ! So I and my father have to go to the lake just fishing next week ?! :-D
MoKiMegaFan is offline Find More Posts by MoKiMegaFan
Last edited by MoKiMegaFan; Oct 01, 2013 at 10:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2013, 09:11 AM
Registered User
max.ferra's Avatar
Padova, Italy
Joined Oct 2002
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke View Post
You need a really good balancer to the it down well below 10mg/mm.
Henke you meant 10mg.mm (Mass x Radius moment) right?
max.ferra is offline Find More Posts by max.ferra
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2013, 12:56 PM
310mph Kolibri T25 Swist
henke's Avatar
Sverige, Kronobergs Lšn, Ljungby
Joined Jan 2001
4,764 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by max.ferra View Post
Henke you meant 10mg.mm (Mass x Radius moment) right?
Yes
henke is offline Find More Posts by henke
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wanted Jet joe JR turbine littlepiston Aircraft - Fuel - Jets (FS/W) 7 Dec 04, 2012 01:11 PM
Discussion Just pulled the trigger on a Syma S033G Predreadnut Coaxial Helicopters 21 Jul 24, 2012 07:16 AM
Discussion I am about to pull the trigger on the PROEDF F-22 sherlockshah Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 29 May 20, 2010 04:18 PM
Discussion I'm about to pull the trigger on this setup.. APdude07 FPV Talk 2 May 14, 2009 05:06 PM