HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 7oneWo1f, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:37 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
Discussion
Tour of model RC airplane factory (home video)

WM Factory tour for young RC pilot Xander (8 min 38 sec)

My family was blessed to be able to take a once in a decade extended vacation to China this past summer. I was sadly unable to accompany them due to work commitments.

But, while they were there, I discovered Winner's Model aerobatics, and bought a couple of their planes, and began a cordial email correspondence with Mr. Frank Liu.

It wasn't long before Mr. Liu and his wife graciously offered to give my son a tour of his model RC airplane factory, and also to let my son fly one of Mr. Liu's planes.

Coincidentally, during the trip, Typhoon Vincente was hitting the area, but the folks in this part of China are a hardy bunch, and it didn't slow down factory production or the scheduled tour.

The above home video isn't the highest production quality to say the least, but I thought I'd share it because most of the planes we buy in the U.S. are made by real people who work in factories similar to the one.

These are people who take pride in their work, people who have families, and people whose livelihood is based on providing the equipment we need to enjoy our hobby.

When I was a child, my own mother worked in a Tonka Trucks factory in mound, MN to supplement the small amount of money my father earned as a U.S. marine. The work wasn't the most glamorous, but it was work, and a stepping stone to other jobs for both her and her children, and the money she earned helped put food on the table.

So a special thank you to the factory workers in China. May your children take advantage of your dedication and hard work and become the brain surgeons, engineers, scientists, and wise political leaders of tomorrow.

Meanwhile, know that many of us appreciate the good work you do.

And an extra thank you to Mr. Frank Liu, whose attention and instruction left indelible memories in the mind of a 10 year old boy who loves RC.

WM's website: 3D fly
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Nov 22, 2012 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Oct 2011
230 Posts
thank you for sharing the vid, LWRC

I watched with interest

Pete
3D Peter is offline Find More Posts by 3D Peter
Old Nov 04, 2012, 05:26 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
Pete,

Thanks for letting me know you watched and I hope enjoyed.
Old Nov 05, 2012, 02:44 PM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,099 Posts
cool video. One day i'll get to China.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Nov 05, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
Thanks _OZ_, here's hoping your plans come to fruition...
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:00 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
968 Posts
Great video and opportunity for Xander! Nice insight into a Chinese factory. I adopted a little girl from China 6 years ago and we will be going back at some point. I'll have to put a factory tour on the agenda. Where was this WM factory?

Thanks for posting and sharing.

Nice flying by all BTW.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Last edited by dth7; Nov 07, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:10 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
Thanks for the comments and cool photos-- nice planes. My son has that Tech One Yak...it was his first 3D plane...he bought it and I assembled it.

Does your daughter speak Chinese? Depending on where you live, there are often Chinese language schools on Saturdays, though it might be more difficult if she doesn't get to practice at home.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:31 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,584 Posts
Really cool LW. Def. liked the Video. Whats not to like about that kind of hospitality. It was still raining a little so they broke out the umbrella and let Xander fly. Totally cool. Tip a the hat to Mr. Liu for being an awesome host to your family.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:55 PM
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Really cool LW. Def. liked the Video. Whats not to like about that kind of hospitality. It was still raining a little so they broke out the umbrella and let Xander fly. Totally cool. Tip a the hat to Mr. Liu for being an awesome host to your family.
Thanks. Regarding hospitality, that's not the half of it, but I don't want to pour it on too thick and embarass Mr. Liu. Suffice it to say that Mr. and Mrs. Liu were very kind. Also the factory workers were and members of the flying club were also very friendly.

Regarding the rain, I'm not sure, but I think they do that a lot. There was actually an awning where Xander was flying if I understand the accounts correctly. That other guy--Mr. She....looks like he was comfortable flying in the rain, transmitter and all, without an umbrella.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
This is BAT country!
United States, MI, Ovid
Joined Nov 2003
618 Posts
Dude that video made my morning. I have a 9 year old that is digging RC as well. I got him a 37" WM Edge and a DX8 for Christmas. He will really dig seeing this video. It is great to see the factory. It is like we all have a little connection to Winners Model now!
Gonzo 1971 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo 1971
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Nov 2011
8,347 Posts
M. Gonyea,

It is very nice to hear that kind of feedback. Let me know if you get photos or video of the Edge...would love to see/watch! Tell your son that the DX8 is a very nice transmitter that is perfect for 3D flying...my son is still flying the DX6i, but the DX8 is a better radio for 3D, because it can drive servos (that can handle it) further without losing resolution, compared to the DX6i. I'm thinking about selling (for cheap) my DX8 to my son, too. I did give him a nice EF plane for Christmas last year, though...so I am not a complete scrooge
Old Jan 21, 2014, 11:46 AM
so and so and so on
China, Shanghai
Joined May 2013
188 Posts
Hi, I saw your comment on my post in EF Pitts12 and your other posts in Beast60E. I clicked and clicked and found this nice video here. It recalled a lot of my memories. 21 years back, I was a student ready for high school in Shanghai, China. Thanks to some kind of trainng previously, I learnt how to build gliders, line controlled aircrafts, and indoor fliers (very light and driven by rubber band). With other friends in the same training, we got chance to earn little money by working in a similar factory in Shanghai. Yup, there was one 21 years ago in Shanghai. We were so happy of making money by doing something that we really like all the time. Today we still meet each other and fly RC planes together. That factory no longer exists. Some guys from this factory later entered OXAI that becomes a branded producer of F3A models. I visited them weeks ago. Again, a similar factory to what you show here. Now my 5years old son starts to learn flying RC planes and there is a really long way to go for him. I thought of showing my son the same when I was in OXAI tour. I wanna tell him his father used to work like that when he's 15 and passion of flight has never been fading.
There are many plants like WM in China now. Most of them struggle in price war and margin rate as I guess is lower than 21 years before. I export steel today and simply buy BNF/PNP/ARF. I always hope Chinese RC pilots can buy more and better to support those manufacturers but I'm afraid this global crisis delays somehow my wish.
jeff4steel is offline Find More Posts by jeff4steel