HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Jan 2008
3 Posts
Help!
How do you desing your wings?

The title says it all. What process do you guys use to design your wings? I have looked at programs that do it for you, like CompuFoil3D but that's a very expensive program and I am only building one wing. And its my first one. I do have CAD and use it every day so I can draft just about anything. My first wing design is a copy of one that I crashed. It has dihedral, and two panels per side. It is also tapered from the root to tip in profile view and the second panel tapers in plan view as well. Not a straight forward thing to draft. Any words of wisdom? I have attached a picture of what I am trying to replicate and improve upon for sure. This is from an old model that I'm fairly confident is of a Cessna 182. So I do know the airfoil is a NACA 2412. I am new to this so please try and use small words.
mikey9821 is offline Find More Posts by mikey9821
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:24 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,402 Posts
That doesn't look like a classical Cessna 182 wing planform unless the flap sections were modified at some stage, however...

It would be a good idea to make sure that the NACA 2412 airfoil is the one used on the model- it would be a shame if you built up the wing and then find it does not fit correctly on the fuselage. Can you sacrifice the broken wing by sectioning it and tracing the root and tip airfoils for both panels of a wing? If you can do that and accurately trace the rib airfoils in .dwg format at 1:1 scale, you can check the tracings against the NACA 2412. From there it would not be too hard to loft the wing ribs, even without an airfoil progaram. Particularly so if you want to make a Cessna like planform where the inboard panel is of contant chord.

Here's a .dxf of NACA 2412 for you to use.

Good luck

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Last edited by wizard of odd; Sep 21, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Feb 2003
59 Posts
I have been using winfoil for years and it works very well. No idea how many wings for scratch designs I have done plus replacement wings for crashers.

Probably not worth it at around $40 for a single wing but it is an option.

Good luck.
Helihead is offline Find More Posts by Helihead
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:24 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,606 Posts
I'm a little confused (not unusual). You already have a wing, so you aren't actually designing anything, you appear to just want to draw a copy of that wing. In which case just measure the dimensions and draw them in, mark and draw in spar, leading edge and trailing edge positions - all measured directly from the existing wing. Similarly mark the rib positions and then pull the wing apart to get the rib sections.
I've been drawing wings in CAD for years and have never owned a wing section program. If you know how you want the rib to look, there's no need for one. I just keep drawing lines until I end up with something that resembles a wing.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
The "pro" in procrastination
Canada, ON, Kingston
Joined Mar 2004
2,655 Posts
If it's airfoil plotting, rib scaling, spar placement and wing layout you're looking for, it's hard to beat Profili. Google it, it's around €25 or so, and you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.

Steve
Steve85 is offline Find More Posts by Steve85