HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2012, 03:29 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,444 Posts
the aluminaut was both all orange and then later orange and dark blue. a few of the smaller subs have been charcoal grey and neon green.
as for the scuba stuff, my dad had a smaller tank that was bight pink that would make for an interesting sub!
derk is online now Find More Posts by derk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:57 PM
California Desert... 7 miles from nearest town
Joined Jan 2010
367 Posts
Research subs are very small and low on the surface so I would think they were painted to be the most visible when surfaces making locating for recovery.

The depths the real subs go makes the color under water immaterial.

I do know yellow (which turns light gray) and white contrast very well with bottom. Seeing light gray or white at 30 feet down is not a problem unless the bottom is light colored sand.
Cliff Hanger is offline Find More Posts by Cliff Hanger
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:16 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
274 Posts
Srv-1

Hi Shaneperch

Any chance we will see the measurements of the outside pieces of the Srv-1 ?

Thanks

George
George Jure is online now Find More Posts by George Jure
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:46 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Jure View Post
Hi Shaneperch

Any chance we will see the measurements of the outside pieces of the Srv-1 ?

Thanks

George
Hello George. The main hull is a 4 inch DWV sweat tee, Schedule 20. The hull consists of a sweat tee and two couplings with short pipe cuts to hold it together. What makes the kit unique is all the parts and engineering that went into it. The parts and pieces to make the kit whole is what makes it the SRV-1
shaneperch is offline Find More Posts by shaneperch
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:12 PM
George Jure
Hamilton, Ontario
Joined Aug 2005
274 Posts
Srv-1

Thanks shaneperch

Please can you put more pictures up of the different hull parts and their sizes, if you can?

Thanks again.

George
George Jure is online now Find More Posts by George Jure
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:14 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Any progress or pics to report Shane?
graphixman is offline Find More Posts by graphixman
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphixman View Post
Any progress or pics to report Shane?
Sorry I have been real busy with my summer job this week. I got to go to Kentucky next week. When I get back I am going to give it full attention and get her built. I want to take it with me to Wisconsin as there is a huge lake that I can take it too. I also have a hull design that I am going to post when I take a picture of it. It will be awesome. The hull of the SRV-1 as I said is plumbing pipe. But it is much more than that and the kit is cheaper I think than buying the stuff yourself. Pictures are coming soon. Thanks for the interest.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 07:37 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Thanks, safe journeys!
Old Aug 06, 2012, 08:01 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Coastal Maine
Joined Jun 2007
856 Posts
Any new progress to report?
Old Aug 06, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Jul 2004
270 Posts
Yes I just received a replacement motor, One of the motors came with the capacitors inside of the motor. they being permently sealed I couldn't get them out. I also finished with the radio tray. So it is coming along. Pictures coming soon. I wanted to go to Carmel but summer job got in the way. Pictures coming tomorrow. Thanks so much
Old Nov 28, 2013, 08:57 PM
Where the Robots Roam
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
@Shaneperch,
Did you ever finish your SRV-1? Your thread ends abruptly here in August 2012. Did something happen during the assembly of the SRV-1 that made you stop working on it? Did you continue your build log in another thread? The new SRV-II seems to be much improved over the original SRV-1. I guess the manufacturer made some lessons learned changes for the better?
Regards,
TCIII
TCIII is offline Find More Posts by TCIII
Old Nov 29, 2013, 08:52 AM
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Apr 2006
397 Posts
looks like the tube is pvc pipe from plumbing store, but where to get the dome.
modelerchina is online now Find More Posts by modelerchina
Old Nov 29, 2013, 10:25 AM
Where the Robots Roam
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
@modelerchina,
It may look simple, but I suspect the machined seats for the O rings are not easy to create without a large lathe. Also, the sealing of the domes to the end tubes is not obvious from the pictures that shaneperch provided in the thread.

I have tried contacting both the manufacturer of the SRV-II Submarine Kit and Mike at Mike's Submarines by email and so far no response. I suspect that they have taken the whole 4 days off and I might not hear from them until next week.

I also sent shaneperch an email asking why he did not complete his SRV-I kit build thread and I have not received a response yet. His last visit to the site was in late October 2013.

Regards,
TCIII
Old Nov 29, 2013, 05:51 PM
Where the Robots Roam
Joined Dec 2007
286 Posts
Hi All,

I have contacted Cliff Walker, the SRV-II manufacturer, and found that the SRV-II Submarine Kit can be purchased for $400, sans R/C equipment, + shipping.

I believe that this ROV cannot be home-built for the same price. Cliff claims that it can reach a depth of 100 ft without leaking. I think that this ROV could be a very viable basis for either a tethered or autonomous ROV.

As an autonomous ROV it could be guided by an APM (Ardupilot Mega) using the compass and IMU for dead reckoning navigation after taking a position fix with the GPS before diving. The deck on the ROV is big enough to support a sealed GoPro camera so that video can be recorded for a review after each waypoint mission.

On a tether it could use the APM to provide spatial stability and a FPV camera could be installed in the bow bubble window and transmitted up a two wire pair, using baluns, for viewing on the surface.

Regards,

TCIII