HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:00 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Discussion
What hurts after a DLG contest?

I know, I know...the agony of defeat, busted planes, etc. I mean...your body. If someone was less than "in shape", what would that unnamed person do to more fully enjoy the nuances of launching a DLG all day?

Thanks,
"That unnamed person"
isoarthenland is online now Find More Posts by isoarthenland
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
I was gonna say "ego".
After a two day contest the front of my shoulder is pretty sore. In the past, when I was bicycling a lot less, my knees around my knee caps, would be sore.
Cycling (modest amounts-3-4 hours/week) and a few hundred crunches a week have helped a huge amount. Plus after three months of 3-4 hours of working out a week and some crunches, and you're less "less than in shape".
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:29 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
441 Posts
(Aside from general fitness) stretch sufficiently, and work on form to improve launch height instead of "grunting" through bad form all day.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:39 PM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,211 Posts
Lately it is my lower legs that are sore when I get home. I am thinking it has to do with the uneven fields that we do our flying in more than anything else.

I am with Joseph start slow and with good form, keep adding little by little to get the proper muscle memory for the launch, it takes a long time to get rid of bad habits. I know from experience. Since I have started exercising more regularly I dont have lower back pain any longer. I use a swiss ball and work mostly on my core. Search google for swiss ball core workouts and you will have more info than you will know what to do with.
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:41 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoarthenland View Post
...what would that unnamed person do to more fully enjoy the nuances of launching a DLG all day?
I find hand launch to be a great inspiration for working on my health. Here are a few ideas related to possible problems a pilot might feel at the end of a contest.

Sore Feet
For some of us that means losing weight. If you need this, I suggest using DLG flying as a good excuse or inspiration for doing what you need to do. That means eating a controlled, healthy diet, and doing metabolism-increasing exercise. And for everyone, good shoes with fresh tread. Good socks. Cross trainers, and for some cases football shoes or others with cleats.

Exhausted
Aerobic fitness. Walking, swimming, cardio in the gym. Older folks--work with your health care practitioner, and maybe with a trainer. Some of us are on medications and restricted diets--follow the regime correctly. Build fitness slowly and discipline yourself to workout days followed by rest days, as suggested by your trainer and/or training program.

Sore Shoulders and Torso
Strength training in the gym. Throw 100x + per week, spread across a few days. Proper launch mechanics.

Sore or Blistered Fingers
Tennis/handball/golf glove--wear on your throwing hand.
-----------

The Other Stuff
Regarding winning/losing, I think we all should remember that in this sport we are really flying against the tasks. We have no control over how well our compatriots are flying, other than to do a good job when we are serving as a timer/coach. But we have the ability to practice, to attend more events, to learn and learn and just enjoy the beauty of soaring. That we can do, and then regardless of placement there won't be much agony of defeat. Just joy of flying.

Busted planes are my favorite soap box. I say, fix them! And fix them again. The hobby is physical, and DLGs will get wear and tear. The hobby is challenging, and in the course of trying to get better we will make mistakes. Lots of them. When someone shows me their 3-5 year old beater, repaired to good flying condition, I just love it.
ASK is online now Find More Posts by ASK
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:46 PM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Thanks for all the thoughtful responses...just what I was hoping for.
Russ
isoarthenland is online now Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:55 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,055 Posts
I was told by my othopedist that my medial meniscus damage in my knee was caused by DLG flying.

He told me to stop flying. I told him that was not possible so we are doing, 'trial by fire' and slowly flying more and more. I have another appointment this friday.... just before the delaware contest!!!!

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 14, 2011, 02:56 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,352 Posts
Russ:

Come on around during the Blue Skies - you'll see all of what was mentioned in your responses. We'll be glad to tell you aaallllll about them, too!

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:00 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
My "old guy" 5 step plan:

1. Stretching! Especially the lower back, hamstrings, quads, calves/Achilles, and shoulders. Maybe 10 minutes, once or twice a day.

2. Tone up the upper body and core with modest weight bearing exercises (lower weight, higher reps). The "Total Gym" or "Total Trainer" type sloped ramp with gliding board systems are great for this. They can work an infinite range of muscles and motions, and also stretch you at the same time. Do this every other day.

3. On the in-between days, do light cardio like a brisk 30 minute walk, bike, or swim.

4. Cut out a few high fat and high carb foods in your diet, and replace with more fruits & veggies. Don't drink or smoke. Just plain old general good health stuff will improve your ability to perform and enjoy DLG.

5. Fly as often as possible and turn it into a light workout by walking the field as you fly, or doing a half hour or more of non-stop launches & quick turnarounds. Fun!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,546 Posts
That's what I was going to say. Come join the contest this weekend and YOU'LL know first hand what hurts !
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:03 PM
ASK
Espanola, NM USA
Joined Jul 2002
2,822 Posts
Russ,
Are you flying at BSoU? I don't see you on the list.

If you have anything to fly, even a dog-eared 30" HL flying wing, please come and join us. You'll get so much encouragement, and if you want to take a break and skip a round or three, go ahead. I know that registration is closed, but I also know that the guys are able to work you in.

Come!

Aradhana Singh
ASK is online now Find More Posts by ASK
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:14 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASK View Post
...Regarding winning/losing, I think we all should remember that in this sport we are really flying against the tasks. We have no control over how well our compatriots are flying, other than to do a good job when we are serving as a timer/coach. But we have the ability to practice, to attend more events, to learn and learn and just enjoy the beauty of soaring. That we can do, and then regardless of placement there won't be much agony of defeat. Just joy of flying...
+1. Well said Aradhana! These are the things I love about this sport. And like you said, I also find great motivation in it to help me want to improve and maintain my health. It's been the best medicine for me in many years...
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:19 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
4,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASK View Post
Russ,
Are you flying at BSoU? I don't see you on the list.

If you have anything to fly, even a dog-eared 30" HL flying wing, please come and join us. You'll get so much encouragement, and if you want to take a break and skip a round or three, go ahead. I know that registration is closed, but I also know that the guys are able to work you in.

Come!

Aradhana Singh
We can most definitely work you in Russ. The chance to attend and participate in an event like this in your local area, with so many world class pilots, should not be missed. I already have the score cards, flight matrix, and MP3 playlist generated; but have 3 guest spots reserved in there. Come take one!
Old Sep 14, 2011, 03:40 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2High View Post
I was told by my othopedist that my medial meniscus damage in my knee was caused by DLG flying.

He told me to stop flying. I told him that was not possible so we are doing, 'trial by fire' and slowly flying more and more. I have another appointment this friday.... just before the delaware contest!!!!

Frank
Frank,

A Friend had problems with his knees and he wore some knee braces. Often when one leg was starting to feel strained, he would switch wingtips and throw lefty, as opposed to righty. He was an old school DLG poly pilot, and used pine tar on his tips, and used a glove.

Just other options.

Chris
Thermaln2 is online now Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Sep 14, 2011, 04:37 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,113 Posts
What hurts for me? None.
Ego? nah. This is fun stuff. I actually hurt and do worse if I get too competitive or think too competitively.

+1 on what Mike, like.2.fly, said.

-Stretch before and especially AFTER! Most people tend to forget to stretch AFTER a workout or physical activity- It's actually more important than the pre-stretch.
-Forcing and overpowering your launches are the main reason for pain. No need to force things IMO.
-If your knees hurt... replace your shoes! You're using the wrong ones. No cleats! They have too much grip. Get on the balls of your feet so you can rotate easier and not twist your knees.

Soar! pain-free ;-)
Jun C.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats