Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:44 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
Great video!

And what a great looking plane!!! Congrats to Parkzone too! I am really looking forward to getting my hands on one of these!
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:25 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,846 Posts
To add to the plaudits - another excellent review, Chuck.

Like I've said before - they need to pay you because you sell a lot of airplanes with those "grass roots" reviews!!

Thanks.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:30 AM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,397 Posts
Thanks for the kind comments guys, as i have said before what has happened to me over the past couple of years has put me in R/C Heaven but i must say i'm loving, trying to bring a fresh look at the planes "I" love to everyone here. At my age it's hard to believe what they have done with a bit of foam from when i was a kid

oh and apologizes to all Real Gambler was right i forgot to re-check my sound and it is a little louder than normal, been a little under the pump of late with lots going on in my life keeping me busy

again thanks for the comments, I'm glad i can bring these vids to you all

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is online now Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:11 AM
United States, CT, Glastonbury Center
Joined May 2007
1,441 Posts
here's a slightly off-topic question: how do the ailerons work on this plane? the only micro 4-ch i've seen in person is my UM corsair, which uses a separate servo for each aileron.

in Chuck's video he flips over the plane and i noticed there are no servos under the wings ... so what do these guts like like? are the ailerons linked to each other? or can they be controlled like flaperons?

thanks!
telos81 is offline Find More Posts by telos81
Old Jul 12, 2011, 11:25 AM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
one servo moves a bellcrank(a piece that looks like a servo horn) and the bellcrank send or "moves" the force to both ailerons via control rods. the P-51 and (I THINK) the T-28 have this setup so you can search for pics of the mechanism.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:57 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,232 Posts
[QUOTE=RealGambler;18738673]Wow, the foam is really awesome, thanks for showing it to us in details. Hope all future UMs come like that. Well, as long as it's not too brittle. (Sometime smoother foam is more brittle). Absolutely loved that full power handlaunch you made! Great little airplane for sure.

If I may, this is your best video so far, but.... Music was good, but was a bit too loud, particularly at the beginning (almost as loud as your voice so you may want to tone it down just a little in your next "most waited for" video, no matter what plane is coming up!). Also, during flight, it's literally covering the motor sound (which is a must to hear for us, yes, I know, we have heard those 8.5mm motors before, but it gives us a better idea of the speed of the airplane related to throttle input). Otherwise, it's definitively your best video for sure. It was like: bang, bang, bang, showing all the important stuff, very concise, and it was awesome that you had the XP and the Cat together for a great showdown, particularly on the foam quality.

Already looking forward for your next video. Hope it's a UMX Stryker! Keep them coming, Chuck, you're doing an awesome job. Remember though, we are jaleous, and we know where you live (well, somewhere in Australia). Horizon, put that guy on your Christmas list! He deserves it![/QUOT

I thought it was a great video
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Champaign, IL
Joined Jan 2007
664 Posts
Guys, for those who haven't seen the video yet, please see the link below. Sorry we didn't get this up earlier!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...KZU1480_Hi.wmv

Seth Arnold
Product Development
Horizon Hobby
3D-Seth is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Seth
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:08 PM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Will parkzone ever go Brushless. Great little planes but the motors are crap. E-flite Sbach is the ticket.
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:09 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacmed View Post
Will parkzone ever go Brushless. Great little planes but the motors are crap. E-flite Sbach is the ticket.
This is getting annoying lol. NOT the same type of plane. And some brushed motors can last a really long time and are cheap to replace.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 01:11 PM
Kannapolis, NC
Joined Nov 2007
186 Posts
Or for $29.00 more you can have the UMX Beast. Another great "brushless" plane.
dtacmed is offline Find More Posts by dtacmed
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:00 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
This is getting annoying lol. NOT the same type of plane. And some brushed motors can last a really long time and are cheap to replace.
They are both pattern planes, so yes they are basically, the same type of plane. I believe this to be a cheaper alternative to the sbach but I don't think its going to be nearly as fast either.
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomsDay View Post
They are both pattern planes, so yes they are basically, the same type of plane. I believe this to be a cheaper alternative to the sbach but I don't think its going to be nearly as fast either.
Did you watch the video? It clearly shows the aileron placement etc. Not the same type of plane. It is brushed as well. Of course it isn't going to be as fast. Just frustrating when people try to compare something that is clearly not meant to be the same.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:11 PM
ICU
Check out my Shapeways Shop
Dallas,Tx.
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
I see it as being somewhere between the T-28/P-51 and the Sukhoi XP. Looks like it would be more aerobatic that the warbirds, but not as twitchy as the XP. I personally now see my XP as a toned-down version of the Sbach. That plane is simply amazing.
ICU is offline Find More Posts by ICU
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:15 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
Did you watch the video? It clearly shows the aileron placement etc. Not the same type of plane. It is brushed as well. Of course it isn't going to be as fast. Just frustrating when people try to compare something that is clearly not meant to be the same.

Yes I watched the video and you are correct that ailerons are not full length of the wing as it is with the sbach, HOWEVER, they are both pattern planes. They fall under the same category of plane even if they fly differently. Let me guess, you would rather classify the sbach to be more like the beast? And if so, what would be your reason? Just because they are "brushless"? Look at the profile of both planes, they are practically identical albeit there are different design specs on them. I am not saying they are going to fly the same, obviously they are not, but they are meant for the same style of flying with the exception of speed.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 02:16 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU View Post
I see it as being somewhere between the T-28/P-51 and the Sukhoi XP. Looks like it would be more aerobatic that the warbirds, but not as twitchy as the XP. I personally now see my XP as a toned-down version of the Sbach. That plane is simply amazing.
Or the Sbach as an XP on steroids!