HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:49 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,554 Posts
I could use one of my Eagle Tree loggers to log receiver,servos and FBL loads,amp.volts etc but simple fact is that if the tattle tale shows that voltage drop is with in the safe range all is good.

No Spektrum 2.4 brownouts no FBL gyro reboots / glitches are all that I am concerned about. I really do not care if the ESC sees a short spike over its' rating as liong as voltage at the receiver is still good.

A month or so back my son had his Tarot ZYX-S reboot on the ground during spool up a couple of different times. I installed a DE Sports BEC (3.5A) and no more issues. His latest acquired heli a Trex 450 which he put a ZYZ in was flying OK then all of a sudden in FFF and a hard banked turn the tail started twiching extremly fast and then the heli slid hard over and he had to use full opposite cyclic to get it leveled enough to land it. Swash remained full tilt after touch down. I believe he has parked it until he gets another ESC or a ESC wiith a good switcher BEC built in.

He had the same ZYX-S in the T rex that acted up in his B450 before installing the DE Sports BEC. This same unit back in his B450 and he flew it this morning and it is working fine again. Guess I should note that I always hard wire the BEC to the ESC so those stayed in the B450 and he was using a common Sense 45A ESC in the Trex. Neither one of use could find BEC specs. for the CS ESC's .

Underlining issue is that FBL heads and gyros do in fact place more loads on the servos and from what i have read DFC heads are even worse.
Charles
everydayflyer is online now Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Oct 21, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Got some pics of my 450 sport today.

Atomic Skull is online now Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:33 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,604 Posts
Collective range?

Looks good! I like that canopy, and I see you're using the Pro one-piece landing gear. How are you getting on for servo travel using that RJX head? I have to use 15mm arms on my 450 Pro, but on the Sport the lower servo arm can hit the main gear.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Looks good! I like that canopy, and I see you're using the Pro one-piece landing gear. How are you getting on for servo travel using that RJX head? I have to use 15mm arms on my 450 Pro, but on the Sport the lower servo arm can hit the main gear.
Balls are 12mm out (straight links in relation to the swash arms), I clipped off the ends of the arms after that. Robird G31 says I have enough pitch range (the setup would complain about if if the arms were too short) I get +/- 12 degrees with plenty to spare for cyclic. The arm actually has about 3mm to spare at 100% travel before it would hit the gear. I'm using Ino-Labs HG-D260's for cyclic servos which causes a tiny bit of outward angle on the links because they are oversized for a 450. However this is approximately equal to the sideways skewing on the elevator link, and in any case the FBL setup seems to be able to figure out the geometry because the swash is completely level throughout it's travel range and I didn't need any subtrim at min/max collective to correct for an unlevel swash.

Tarot sells the one piece skids with the holes pre drilled for the 450 sport. thinking about getting some neon yellow Gorilla Gear though.

The canopy is higher quality than your typical clone canopy but I think I might give it a clear coat over everything. It's not as good as the simplified Fusuno canopies Hobbyking sells but with a clear coat it would be. Fiberglass seems equal though.
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 21, 2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,880 Posts
Here is a pic of mine from this weekend. With my HB800 gyro
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:49 PM
No Longer Active
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
Got some pics of my 450 sport today.

very nice AS. that looks hot!
pitchp is offline Find More Posts by pitchp
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:24 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,722 Posts
Very nice looking bird Atomic Skull, I like the canopy, man that looks just like my trex450 sport frame. I like the aluminum batt tray however. Very nice wiring I like that Orange mesh I need to get me some of that, was looking today not sure what MM need. I myself Like my Trex 5oo gear the grass where i fly is like normal front yard grass so anything to give me more height is good.
Anyone know what size dia. the Trot 450 boom is?
Was going post a pic but my phone being stupid. And EDF is right, The trex is in the garage until next week I just ordered a CC10A BEC never heard anything bad about them.
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:46 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Here is a pic of mine from this weekend. With my HB800 gyro
All that orange bling on the rear, and a yellow main gear with a white auto gear?
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:56 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,880 Posts
Kinda sticks out lol! Our local photographer was at the park. I kept hovering nose in and going inverted. I wanted him to get some good inverted pics. I even hovered around right over the pad only a couple of feet from us, but I guess he thought the going inverted looked cooler. That is what you get when your photographer is also one of the best pilots at the park lol!
mhills51 is online now Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 21, 2012, 10:58 PM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhills51 View Post
Kinda sticks out lol! Our local photographer was at the park. I kept hovering nose in and going inverted. I wanted him to get some good inverted pics. I even hovered around right over the pad only a couple of feet from us, but I guess he thought the going inverted looked cooler. That is what you get when your photographer is also one of the best pilots at the park lol!
I feel you, had a local newspaper come out interveiw some of us took pics i was knife edging my 42" ajslick 3 foot off ground whole runway and they put a pic of me flying upright with my micro bipe in the paper
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:28 AM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
Ok, are those corona servos good for 3d, cause I want to buy the kit to allow me to do 3d even if not at the moment.?
I was looking at these as decent fast servos.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...06sec_21g.html
All round?

Thanks again
Jim
I like the Corona DS-929MG servos. I use them in a lot of different things. They've always worked well for me and the specs compare well to stock Align cyclic servos.

For the tail, you would want something faster. Possibly a DS-919MG, which is faster than the stock DS520 and nearly as strong.

I used Turnigy TGY-306G's as cyclic servos on a "hot rod" 450 Pro V2 I built. I only flew that helicopter a handful of times before selling it but the servos seemed good. I had a Savox tail servo on that heli but I sold a spare 306 to a friend for his 450 and it's been working really well for him. People suspect that the TGY-306G's are rebranded MKS DS95's. Their specs, case design and the fact that they are made in Taiwan seems to support that.
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:15 AM
Helicopter Baron
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Feb 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Quote:
Using analog servos on a helicopter is unappealing, especially a flybarless one.
Why is that ? I know some FBL units require all digitials but most let you select all analog all digitial or mixed.
Most FBL gyros give you an option use analog cyclic servos but in principle, I would prefer digital cyclic servos for the same reasons that digital tail servos are practically universal at this point. With the gyro constantly making small adjustments (much smaller and more frequent than any pilot input), I would prefer digital servos for their precision, narrower deadband, greater torque when moving small distances and their tendency to not overshoot the target position and "bounce" back as much as analog servos. Obviously those are all generalities about analog vs digital, but those are some of the main benefits of digital servos.
spaaarky21 is offline Find More Posts by spaaarky21
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaaarky21 View Post
Most FBL gyros give you an option use analog cyclic servos but in principle, I would prefer digital cyclic servos for the same reasons that digital tail servos are practically universal at this point. With the gyro constantly making small adjustments (much smaller and more frequent than any pilot input), I would prefer digital servos for their precision, narrower deadband, greater torque when moving small distances and their tendency to not overshoot the target position and "bounce" back as much as analog servos. Obviously those are all generalities about analog vs digital, but those are some of the main benefits of digital servos.
Trex 500 with Microbeast and analog Hitec HS-225MG's on cyclic:

T-rex 500 with Micobeast (4 min 13 sec)

One interesting thing about analog servos, they are less likely to strip in a crash than a digital because they don't hold position as strongly. The HS-65MG almost never strips while HS-5065MG strips so regularly in crashes that you're better off replacing the metal gears with carbon after the first crash because they're cheaper and the metal ones strip anyway. (The gear train in the HS-5065 is the same as the HS-65 so you can use the carbon HS-65 gear set)
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Oct 22, 2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 02:33 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
843 Posts
Quote:
I like the Corona DS-929MG servos. I use them in a lot of different things. They've always worked well for me and the specs compare well to stock Align cyclic servos.

For the tail, you would want something faster. Possibly a DS-919MG, which is faster than the stock DS520 and nearly as strong.

I used Turnigy TGY-306G's as cyclic servos on a "hot rod" 450 Pro V2 I built. I only flew that helicopter a handful of times before selling it but the servos seemed good. I had a Savox tail servo on that heli but I sold a spare 306 to a friend for his 450 and it's been working really well for him. People suspect that the TGY-306G's are rebranded MKS DS95's. Their specs, case design and the fact that they are made in Taiwan seems to support that.
The hotrod version sounds awesome! Did you need a beefier motor to compensate for the extra weight and do the 306s fit in the slots without trimming also?

Thanks
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Last edited by rcjim11; Oct 22, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,057 Posts
Quote:

Those are MKS clones, not relabeled MKS. MKS does not sell relabeled versions of their servos.

http://rc-trader.co.uk/blog/mks-servo-cloned

And with MKS not using chinese factories it's very unlikely that they are "unauthorized" relabels like what happened with the YGE ESC's.